FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Fort Lauderdale

Hey,
I'm from Chicago and heading to Fort Lauderdale for the summer. Whats the deal with the kitesurfing here? I'm staying at a condo in Lauderdale by the Sea. Would I be able to kitesurf later on in the day at the beach there? What are the rules?

Thanks,
Christina
Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

There have been some problems in LBTS in the past. There was a organized move to ban kiting throughout the town. We went to several meetings and prepared some guidelines to try to head things off. A kid even got arrested for ignoring officers and trying to trying to out run them, whoops. This was a couple of years ago and as far as I know threats to access may have cooled down.

I would stay well away from the pier, several blocks would be a good idea. Also, avoid crowds on the beach or in the water. The further you are from the others, the more you should be able to enjoy your session without hassles. Most of the complaints were about guys riding too close to bystanders, sweeping lines over their heads and generally causing stupid, easily avoided problems. The guidelines that were discussed at the time appear below:

Lauderdale By-The-Sea Kiteboarding Guidelines
December 22, 2004

The following guidelines are intended to promote kiteboarding safety in Lauderdale By-The-Sea (LBTS). LBTS extends from the north end of Galt Ocean Mile to Sea Ranch Lakes and then continues north to just south of Terramar St. near the southern boundary of Pompano Beach, FL. It is recommended that these guidelines and other appropriate safety procedures be followed while kiteboarding off this beach.

1. Do not fly your kite within 100 ft. (preferably further), of bystanders downwind. If this isn’t possible, go to a less crowded beach.

2. Continuous traction kiting on the beach is not permitted.

3. Kiteboarders are solely responsible for their safety and that of bystanders and shall act with appropriate caution and courtesy.

4. A kite depowering leash must be used. Use of safety equipment including a good helmet, impact vest, gloves, hook knife, etc. is recommended.

LBTS KB Guidelines 12.22.04

You should visit the folks at Tiki Beach down in Ft. Lauderdale. There is an active kiting crowd there when there is wind of course.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Default No Wind Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoArDiNgGrl View Post
Hey,
I'm from Chicago and heading to Fort Lauderdale for the summer. Whats the deal with the kitesurfing here? I'm staying at a condo in Lauderdale by the Sea. Would I be able to kitesurf later on in the day at the beach there? What are the rules?

Thanks,
Christina
Not much wind in Florida in the summer (not counting Hurricanes!). For the best current wind and forecasts, check out the new wind sensor at Dania Beach Pier (near Ft. Lauderdale Airport) 10 day free trial account required.

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWher...1&timeoffset=0

Also the Cable Park is a great no wind alternative:

http://www.southfloridakiteboarding....1/Default.aspx

Stefan Pantu
Manager
South Florida Kiteboarding
85 Gulfstream Road
Suite 308
Dania Beach, FL 33004
main: (954) 927-7002
fax: (954) 924-6782
www.southfloridakiteboarding.com