FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

16 kts. at Delray at 10 am Sunday! Hit before the storms move in, if they even develop around here today.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-06-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
16 kts. at Delray at 10 am Sunday! Hit before the storms move in, if they even develop around here today.
I'm the first one to admit that I was wrong about todays forecast, It turned out to be an absolute blast today.

I hope you were able to catch a session or 2 today Rick

I headed up to Lake Worth rigth @ 10am I was stoked to see wind. YOur right 13-15knt out of the SE. Powered in a 2hr session. Then a rain storm was looming So I wrapped it up and headed down to Boynton.

Just got home 30minutes ago (6:00pm) Was able to put in two FULL blown sessions on the north side of the inlet. Watch a couple of guys doing a down winder from what looked like Dog beach well north of point Manalapan (good for them )
It feels SO good to be exhausted from kiting ALL day in August
Old 08-06-2006, 06:24 PM

Yeah well I flew around all day, litteraly on a plane, it sucks that I missed some good riding, hopefully the wind will stay for one more day.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
Hopefully the wind will stay for one more day.

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST FOR SOUTH FLORIDA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
904 PM EDT SUN AUG 6 2006

SMALL CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET BUILDING TO
4 TO 6 FEET AFTER MIDNIGHT. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SCATTERED SHOWERS
AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SCATTERED SHOWERS
AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

TUESDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET SUBSIDING TO
3 TO 5 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

Maybe~
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, it was a good day and unexpected too. I thought I would do a roundwinder from Delray and visit you HIGHFLYN at Boynton Inlet this morning. I saw one kite up near the inlet and though it might be you. I was moving along pretty well but the same squall that may have sent you off the water made me turn around and head back south. A couple of bolts of lightning and it seemed like a poor risk to continue. I only made it as far as Gulfstream Park, next time!

The forecast is from some stronger winds, still dead onshore and with variety quantities of storms. Hope there are some good useable gaps around quiting time tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Rick I know that was a good call to call off that downwinder, That storm looked pretty nasty. Plus I wouldn't have been able to give you a ride back since I was up in Lake Worth @ that time.

I started kiting Boynton @ 1pm and stayed till 5:30

Anytime you wanna do a l-o-n-g downwinder (Delray to Boynton, Heck Lake Worth even ~if your legs are up to it~ ) You've got yourself a ride back if I'm out.

If this helps my 2 summer time kites are both Naish X4's (Red/White & Blue) 16m & 12m

I'll pm you my cell# , This way I'll have a heads up that your comming down/up

Michael
Old 08-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Michael,

The southern exposure of the squall didn't look all that bad, that is until I got a bit closer. It was one of those small storms in a largely clear area of sea we were talking about a while back. The lightning got me checking it out in particular. I thought it might have even moved inland before I made it up that far. Then again, lightning has a way of striking a long way away from the storm front.

Thanks for the future offer of a ride, I appreciate it! This time I was doing a roundwinder or a round trip run. With the new kites and boards you can ride fairly close to the wind. Even though it was slightly SE yesterday, you can still come close to riding parallel to the shore. The south bound run does need a few tacks to keep you far enough from the beach but that isn't a big deal. It is a little more technical that normal shredding and even a bit of a challenge at times. It also gives you something to do if the winds aren't quite blasting for boosting big. This roundtrip run was only about 7 miles. I have done some in the Keys, off Islamorada that have been about 20 miles with OK winds stretching up to about 35 miles with crappy winds (I was able to make about 300 ft. upwind for each 1/2 mile tack, ouch!).

I wonder why more riders don't do roundwinders? More at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=830
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=901

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
You were smart to do a downwinder. It was LIGHT yesterday afternoon. Still, as you said it was good to get out all the same.

The squall line took its time coming across and arrived later than the radar suggested earlier in the day. We were driving home along A1A in Boca Raton last night and noticed all this dust, tons of it along a 1/2 mile section of road. There was no rain and it was dark so I couldn't see much about sky conditions although it was obvious the line was moving in around sunset. The rain did come but about 10 minutes later. There was a substantial gust front at the leading edge of the squall line.

I see NWS backed off the forecast for today, at least off PBC.

TODAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. WINDS AND SEAS HIGHER IN NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...ESPECIALLY THIS MORNING

It looks like the Keys are getting a LOT of squalls from the remains of Chris this morning from the images two posts above this one.

August sure can be a calm month, absent tropical systems. Try to find useable winds if you can while avoiding the squalls. Otherwise, the fall isn't that far off and there are always out of town wind trips if you can work them out.
I was just doing some reading about microbursts related to that near 90 kt. gust spike at the end of Palmetto in Boca Raton. The dust I described in this post earlier in the month is consistent with a microburst. Both events happened within a 1/4 mile of the same area but weeks apart! Microbursts can limit their area of impact to within a 2 mile diameter.

Storm season!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi