FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Naish Sigma at Skyway

I saw someone riding the new Naish Sigma today at SW. Didnt get a chance to talk to whoever it was. Did anyone? Just curious about how it rides.
Looks pretty cool in the air.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Skyway Scott

I saw it up close and talked with the rider. It was only his second day on the kite. The rider is a very nice guy from out of town.

Bob Frank has a couple too, he is also very nice (has a mercedes camper/van vehicle with Best stickers on it).
Maybe they would let you demo one (?).
Old 09-24-2007, 11:17 PM

Yeah, I met the owner on Sunday morning at the skyway. He's from Canada and let me fly the kite for 5 minutes or so. Unfortunately, the wind was really light for a 12 Meter, so no chance to get some good feedback from it.

The only thing I can say is that is a fast kite. He told me that he's going to be around for one more week in the area so there's a good chance we will see the kite again.

I also flew Bob's Royal Era and I personally was really impressed, it flies smoothly, fast and awesome pull... sweet kite.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Skyway Scott

The Royal's price point is pretty awesome as well, especially for a one-pump kite. The first night I rode it I was actually disappointed (cuz I need a replacement for my 15m Hyper and was hoping for the Era, since it's the same designer from RRD). I think Bob and I rigged the kite wrong or something, cuz it just didn't feel all that great. I ending up giving it a lukewarm review on the EK forum. I was actually very disappointed.
Since then, Bob has let me ride it at least 4 hours (rigged right.. whatever) and I now love that kite. I had to go back and switch my review on EK.
Fairly embarrassing, but I was glad my first impression was off. I am just glad something like the Hyper exists this year because after getting use to it for a year, I would be disappointed going to a lower performance light/medium wind kite. I have come to the conclusion that several (not all) kite companies can make a very good 12 and 9m kite, but nailing the 14/16 seems hard. Still a lot of kites yet to come out, but I can't imagine a 15m smoking the Era. If one does, I will buy it and be one happy camper.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 AM

yesterday in the meager wind conditions around the 5 to 6pm hour.. Bob was getting 10ft jumps on that damn 14m .. I know that he weighs about 1/2 of what I weigh.. but then Randy jumped on the kite and was hitting 7 to 10 ft airs himself fully powered..

I was JUST able to go upwind on my 16m waroo and do very small backrolls.

impressive as hell.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
popeye

... but it was also up and down... 9 to 25 to 13 again...

But, I also rode the Era and I can confirm that kite JUMPS. I would not hesitate to replace my waroo with an Era. Waiting to figure out what the low end really is for a 190lb rider.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Skyway Scott

Just ask Erick in a PM. BigAirAl has one too, so he is probably getting a feel for low end.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 AM

when Randy was on it and going off i was riding right beside him and just able to go upwind and do small jumps on my large board..

i asked him how much he weighs and he's about 190.. 15lbs less than me..

again.. pretty impressive considering the conditions.

if you look on the extreme kites forum there is a thread with photos of the Era 14 laid overtop of the hypertype 15.. its damn near exactly the same size BUT its actually wider.. basically a higer aspect hypertype..

wonder if the 15m hypertype is small ..or the era is big..

next time we are out I'll see if Dan can lay his 14m waroo against Bob's era.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
popeye

Cool didn't realize you were riding at the same time. That's pretty convincing.

I think with a bridle mod that kite would basically be similar to a hypertype.

I think the bridle is tuned to make the kite easier to fly for intermediate riders and possibly for unhooking (easier to adjust).