FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Default Duck Key Area in Late Febuary 2010

May be able to be in the Duck Key area late Febuary, how is the wind this time of year - what size kites? I have a friend that may want to come as well, but he is not very experienced. He has done a few lessons, would progress much faster if there was some waist deep water area to practice (like hattera's soundside)...anything like that in this area?

Thanks All!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoNP View Post
May be able to be in the Duck Key area late Febuary, how is the wind this time of year - what size kites? I have a friend that may want to come as well, but he is not very experienced. He has done a few lessons, would progress much faster if there was some waist deep water area to practice (like hattera's soundside)...anything like that in this area?

Thanks All!
February is still a good wind month for frontal winds. The size kite is dictated by the strength of the front or wind gradient. I would bring a complete quiver for 10 kts. to 30 kts.+, expecting something on the order of 15 to 20 kts.. Of course the wind turns off between fronts so there may be unrideable days too. With a boat there are a lot of good options off Hawkscay/Duck Key. Without a boat, not sure how easy it will be to set up. Might be better off driving down to Bahia Honda SP. Paul Menta might have some input on non-boat launches, if any, off Duck Key.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-24-2009, 06:21 PM

With a boat, there are lots of spots. The best spot for your purposes would Curry Hammock State Park in Marathon. Lots of shallow water and a great site for the day with restrooms, grills, shade, grass and sort of sand. Better for beginner thru advanced where Bahia Honda is better for intermediate and up. Awesome local crowd too to help you out.

oTHErside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com

Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM

noel said it -curry hammock is the spot. i live a couple of miles from it and kite there whenever there's wind. talk to othersde boardsports-they can set you up.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Drove by Duck Key over the weekend. This is not a good beginner launch without an instructor with boat. There are high tension powerlines bordering the road and in the water, a boating channel and the road itself as possible downwind hazards. If you were well experienced, could stay upwind and away from all the nasty stuff near the road, you might be able to walk south from the road out into the flats to launch and land. If your friend needs training hook him up with a good school down there. This is no place to try training him on your own.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM

jeez guys did you read my post..."He has done a few lessons, would progress much faster if there was some waist deep water area to practice (like hattera's soundside)...anything like that in this area?"

I am experienced and he has done several lessons and purchased gear. He can ride and is at the stage where he can upwind no problem in higher winds, but struggles more when it is lighter (others can still ride upwind), still falls when just riding and has to body drag for board, etc... He took some of his lessons in Hatteras in the sound and more lessons up here in MI, in both cases mostly in waist deep water. I would consider him right at the start of being self sufficient, he has all the knowledge just needs the practice. We have down some downwinders together here in MI in deep water and I can see he learns a lot more in shallow flat water as most do. Powerlines and other downwind obstacles are probably enough for us to move away from Duck Key if he is riding, but I may ride there as well. My gear spans about 13 mph to 30 mph while he only has gear for 15-20 mph...

I think he would be fine in the ocean with waves, just that he would spend a lot more time fighting the surf, fighting to get his board on, and body dragging then if we can find a shallower flat water spot.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Got it, again, it isn't a spot for a new kiter. Think you agree. You both would probably have a much better time off the north end of Bahia Honda to the south, at least there is a beach. Off Duck Key, there is no beach, a tree line to the water and barely a place to park. Not sure if it is legal to park there either. Still, if you walk out into the flats far enough to launch and land away from the road and powerlines, assuming there isn't a channel in the way, you should be fine yourself. As I recall with the perimeter channel and fringing bar around Duck Key there is no place to launch from the island itself, even for an experienced kiter.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 AM

Duck Key. Not a good spot for beginners and not a good spot for advanced riders who dont have experience riding in channels with high currents and lots of obstacles in the launch area.

You ave been given many options by local experienced riders. I suggest you take it. The wind is good in all those areas. Lots of flat water to go around.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I'd have to survey the launch to decide, but don't worry I'm a very cautious kiter...my normal launches here in MI are very sketchy!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 AM

No reason to kite at duck key-curry hammock sp is 3 miles away and the best kite in the keys. If we have wind, I am there. Call Otherside boardsports or contact me for info. Mike Olness mike.olness@yahoo.com