FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 AM

69th ST was on the light side yesterday. People on 87th ST looked be way more powered then we were... Got another one this morning. Not easy to rig in the dark
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM

Default went out in fort pierce

went out on south jetty had some fun flat water jumps close up to the jetty alot of fun was blowin 20+ up here good times
Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent B View Post
went out on south jetty had some fun flat water jumps close up to the jetty alot of fun was blowin 20+ up here good times
How were the swells south of the channel? I would swear when the wind is on and distant swells developing it is like going to Maui (not Jaws of course) for wave riding.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Default naw no waves

no wave that day look alot like that picture hopefully we get some with this next front movin through this weekend.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Default waves

looks like were getting those waves u were talkin about gonna be a good couple of days up here!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I bet you guys will be swimming in nice swells for the next few. Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 AM

I was out yesterday on North Miami Beach from 6.15PM till dark and found the wind to be really light compare to what it looked like. (white caps all over)

I upgrade my 07 Waroo 11 to an 08 and got skunked 2 sessions in a row. The kite is fast and handle gusts really well but I am concerned about the low end.

Anyone reading this was out about the same time and can tell wether it was me or the wind?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I went out at about 5 pm until 7:30 pm off Palm Beach County on a 13 m 2008 Waroo. Initially I thought I might be rigged a bit big and so trimmed for mid range. Was slogging around a bit so came in and adjusted the trimming for a bit more power. That helped, also the wind was pretty gusty for no obvious visible reason. The winds averaged in the mid to high teens with lulls down to around 12 mph and gusts into the mid 20's. Still, there were times when you would be sining pretty well before being able to lock it in. I haven't used the 11 m but guess it should handle similarly. Have you played with trimming using the various knots on the pigtails? If you are underpowered attach closer to the kite from the mid point. If you are overpowered go in the opposite direction. I find I can't use the outmost knot on mine as the kite becomes too mushy. It is best to do this with pulling in on your trim strap initially. If you go above the mid range you will find that in addition to increased bar pressure the kite speed will decrease. I haven't noticed anything untoward about the 13 m speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykite View Post
I was out yesterday on North Miami Beach from 6.15PM till dark and found the wind to be really light compare to what it looked like. (white caps all over)

I upgrade my 07 Waroo 11 to an 08 and got skunked 2 sessions in a row. The kite is fast and handle gusts really well but I am concerned about the low end.

Anyone reading this was out about the same time and can tell wether it was me or the wind?

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Delray!

Went out earlier in delray. Wind shifted from NNW to NNE by 1pm. Perfect for riding the swell south down the beach. was blowing around 18 knots, then jumped up to about 25, then died off. Kinda punchy, but good practice for this noob. My 13m wasn't enough at first, then around 2 I was well overpowered. dropped it to the 1st knot, and was good for the rest of the day... 3pm at least. I work nights, so I bail early. I'm normally 1st in, 1st out... reminds me of my accounting class... FIFO. One thing that sucks is that I kept outrunning my kite on the waves. Had a front line wrap around my bar because of it. Thank god I had a buddy to grab the kite. it was sitting on the edge ready to launch bobbing up and down.

So where are the the south florida riders? I'm jealous of all the sessions I hear from St Pete and Tampa area:wink: . I have a buddy that lives there and might have to take a road trip soon.

I'm sore as hell today, and I'm off to class

Cheers

Scotty

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info Rick.
I am on a A-B configuration right now.

C-C Configuration if underpowered
A - A if overpowered

is this right?

Thanks.
Tony