FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
well done! I was heading over thurs. and fri. but got derailed by work. you are moving toward a record, keep at it.

I think I may just have done it Rick! Today will go down in the books as my 8th day in a row in the month of July!

Kited Boynton public from 2 till 5:00, till a wicked storm rolled in from the west and killed it. Super fun session being powered on 17's & 15's and mixxing it up between kiteboards & surfboards. There was some small surf that built as the wind came up and the tide dropped, which was fun to ride strapless in.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 PM

Just got in from a downwinder, from Boynton Public to Lake Worth (6.5miles). The inside reefs were loaded with life (Tarpon, Baracuda, Stingrays and loads of bait fish) Water was crystal clear w/a small south wind swell along the beach.

Last nights short session (45min) up at Lake Worth along with todays downwinder, has keep the string alive. Today goes down as day 10 and if the forecast holds, it seems as though there may be an afternoon sea-breeze 10-15 for the rest of the week
Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

A downwinder this time of year, go figure? Glad it was a good one. I did a short one myself this afternoon. I noticed the wind come up while out. Rushed home to check the radar as the cummulo stack was marching towards the ocean from the Glades. By the time I was home it looked like Delray and points north were getting pounded. The radar confirmed this and suggested that if I headed south I might be able to buy more time before the heavy stuff hit the coast if ever. Sometimes it dissapates west of the ICW, not this time though. I headed out south of Boca Inlet and boogied south fast to try to buy more time. I could see some intense shelf clouds several miles inland. I did several tacks and managed to make it about a 1 1/2 miles upwind. At that point some really black, gray, green surreal looking shelf clouds, mammatus and evil stuff were moving a bit too close for comfort. They were still several miles inland but you never know. I beached and landed to walk back. The wind died after a while, but not for long. After about 1/2 hour it shifted to NW from SE originally. It didn't go that high perhaps 35 mph+ although from the look of the clouds it could have spiked 70 mph+ complete with tornados.

I had an interesting sight as I walked back upwind. An expensive catamaran waited by the inlet until the storm was on it before meandering south. The guy put up a black spinnaker complete with skull & crossbones, for real. I'm thinking shredded spinnaker, demasted cat or capsized! Why would you rig the largest sail you have with an obvious violent storm with wacked out gusts and reversals about 10 minutes away? The wind wasn't as severe as it might have been so luck carried the day this time.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-22-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Angry muddo

hey
dang yall seem to have wind all the time. we need some wind im dieing for some

chris
7M NEMESIS
Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Nope, more breeze and the odd burst of too much wind! Wind lust over time tunes your ability to milk the light stuff. Big boards, tuning kites for max performance at the low end, etc.. Keep in there, useable wind will come at least by November, sooner we hope.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-31-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM

It was a short one, But I was able to squeek in a 1/2hr session yesterday. Powered on a 17 and rode my 127. Rigging and break-down took longer then the time I spent on the water. But I got to RIDE

Anyone else able to score any water time?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM

I also got a 30/45 min session on 69th... A little light on a 15M Waroo but good enought to have fun.

Tony
Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykite View Post
I also got a 30/45 min session on 69th... A little light on a 15M Waroo but good enought to have fun.

Tony

~Cheers! Tony~ it feels great to get in a session (even a small one) this time of year.

I scored another one last night also, Right before a storm shut everything down.

Most important thing to consider this time of year is SAFETY, as the winds that are most common are assoicated w/coastal storms building from the west. Timming and keeping an eye on the weather are the keys

Good winds ~n~ Be safe
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 PM

Indeed! I kept in the corner on my eye a dark cloud coming in...

I finally landed way before the storm hit the area and the wind kept blowing for a good 45 min. I figured out it was safer to land anyway...

Take care.
Tony
Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Matheson

Got a rideable thermal today at Matheson around 12:30-1,2, Tim B got some too, SB12, CB12.
JPR