FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I noticed the wind was stronger earlier yesterday. There are lots of SE Florida riders out most windy days, particularly on weekends. Counted 16 off Delray last week at one time. There were about ten out late yesterday when I arrived. They just aren't on here, wonder why?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-26-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykite View Post
Thanks for the info Rick.
I am on a A-B configuration right now.

C-C Configuration if underpowered
A - A if overpowered

is this right?

Thanks.
Tony
Hey Tony,

I usually don't mess with those attachment points, although in extremes I might. I was talking about the pigtail knots on your trailing edge wingtips. C kites and to a lesser degree, flat kites can be particularly sensitive to trimming by attaching to different knots.

I wrote an article some years back about doing this with C kites. The general concepts still hold, at least with Waroos. Note, on most flat kites there is no longer much adjustment, if any, on the leading edge pigtails.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=577

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 AM

Hey ScottyKeegs,
I will be checking this place soon on the W coast:
http://www.kitebeaches.com/beach/mar...tail_park.html
http://media.bestkiteboarding.com/vi..._tigertail.wmv

I will post a heads up on the forum if anyone interested in joining.

Tony

[QUOTE=ScottyKeegs;31133]Went out earlier in delray. Wind shifted from NNW to NNE by 1pm. Perfect for riding the swell south down the beach. was blowing around 18 knots, then jumped up to about 25, then died off. Kinda punchy, but good practice for this noob. My 13m wasn't enough at first, then around 2 I was well overpowered. dropped it to the 1st knot, and was good for the rest of the day... 3pm at least. I work nights, so I bail early. I'm normally 1st in, 1st out... reminds me of my accounting class... FIFO. One thing that sucks is that I kept outrunning my kite on the waves. Had a front line wrap around my bar because of it. Thank god I had a buddy to grab the kite. it was sitting on the edge ready to launch bobbing up and down.

So where are the the south florida riders? I'm jealous of all the sessions I hear from St Pete and Tampa area:wink: . I have a buddy that lives there and might have to take a road trip soon.

I'm sore as hell today, and I'm off to class

Cheers

Scotty
Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Guys,

The kitebeaches info is incomplete. I will send something off to Toby to update things. There are a lot of access issues at Tigertail.

More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3289

btw, you will likely have a better time, warmer conditions and have to walk less taking a sea taxi out to the Miami Flats in strong enough westerly wind conditions to warrant a road trip Marco.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Yeah rick, we need so get some of the SoFla riders a computer. Friday I counted about 20 kites in the air in Delray. Yesterday when I left there were about 5. People were waiting to the conditions to get steady.

THANKS to "Bear" who gave me an extra batten when I realized mine was broken, and of course I didn't have an extra on me.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Decided to recycle this great thread for the new wind season. Three great evenings in a row, this time with no squalls either. Just checked the wind has built over the last three hours. No wonder it seemed to be getting better. It was going 20 to 25 kts. when I came in. Mighty fine! Excellent waves and sunset colors to go with. Video to come.

Who else got a good session in???

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Nice Rick.. Today at Meade Street was very nice. Not too many kiters though. But the waves added to the excitement.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad to hear it! Folks are getting back into kiting statewide. It sure is nice to be in a normal fall pattern again. Just put a video up from last night: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=8811

Who else got a session in?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Made the fourth night as scheduled from the forecast on Sunday. Great first week back! Got squalled out again last night at around 7 pm, nasty looking one too. There was a 150 ft. yacht running inshore of it less than a 1/4 mile offshore. Thinking, insurance job! Fortunately, the vessel make it north and back offshore before the shelf cloud and high winds/rain hammered ashore. Supposed to ease off today.

How was the week?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Got 2 nice solid 20+ knot days out of it. Work makes it hard to do afterwork sessions so couldn't get in anymore.

Was hoping for the weekend but man did it really crap out. Good first front though. Keep 'em comin like that and we all get a taste no matter what our schedule is.