FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Moving to Tampa and need help.

Im moving to Tampa next month for school and need some confirmation that the kites i will be getting are suitable for the conditions. I plan on getting a 9, 12, 14. The kites are Hybrid kites. I assume the 12 and 14 are good enough but theres a 7,8,9, and 10 m. Which one should i get for high wind? Im about 150lbs and ride freestyle and stapless. Im also getting a 138 twiny and 5'3 surfboard.

Also what are conditions normally like. What time of the day is the wind usually best? stuff like that.

Thanks for all the help

Luke
Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Can't Re-member

get the 12 and 14 or 16 for low wind , the others for high wind are 7 and 9

@ 150# a 138 twinny is too big, I'd go for < 130 twin and maybe 5'9" surf for low winds

from nov/dec-feb/mar best time is early early morning, rest of the year in the middle or late afternoon

have fun!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Luke,

Where are you moving from?

-Chris
Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 AM

Hey Luke,

I weigh 150 as well and have been riding here for 4 years now. My most used kites are a 12 and 9, but during the summer a 15 or 16 can come in handy. Once in a blue moon you might need a 7, but I can survive without it.

Here is some info on weather patterns I wrote about a year ago.

There is some good info about launch areas on this forum, kiteboardingtampabay.com, and TBKA.org

Tampa Bay Weather Patterns

The Tampa Bay area is blessed with world class riding spots and a very large window of wind throughout the year. Florida is on the international map for kiteboarding as many of the top riders in the world call Florida home. One lives right here in Largo, Billy Paker of Flexifoil Kiteboarding.
The wind throughout the year can be divided into 3 seasons.

Low season is from June-September. This is hurricane season and is generally very hot and humid. Low pressure systems can provide wind, but one must be careful with these as storms, squalls, and unpredictable winds can be attached to these storms. Hurricanes are some of the most intense low pressure systems on the planet, but if they are far away they can actually provide decent winds outside of the storm area. Thunderstorms are also very dominant in a typical Florida afternoon and can also provide wind. Kiters should steer clear of these winds as they are highly unpredictable and can cause serious injury if kiting too close to one of these. It is tempting, but don’t do it. The safest option is a sea breeze. This is thermal wind coming from the NW off of the Gulf of Mexico as the peninsula heats up in the afternoon. Real time wind sensors and cams are the best indicator of a sea breeze, but one should always be careful to check a radar to be sure the winds are not driven by thunderstorm activity. As the sun goes down and the heating of the peninsula stops, the sea breeze dies with it.

Mid season is from October-December. This is when we generally start to see our cold fronts. Cold fronts can bring winds for days. Depending on the anatomy of the front, winds can start from the S-SW, then switch to NW-N and end with some left over NE winds in the early mornings. Weather forecasts are the best indicators of these approaching fronts. One should definitely exercise caution with the approach of a cold front as a violent squall line can be involved with the passing of the front. Once the front is passed, it is game on for kiteboarding. You might find some nice sea breezes following cold fronts as well from the NW. This is still hurricane season so tropical low pressure systems may still be around for the picking.

High Season is from January-May. This is the most active time of year for kiteboarding. Cold fronts are more intense with higher wind speeds and longer periods of winds. They come in more frequency as well. It is common to be able to ride 3-4 days a week or more during this high period. Sea breezes in the spring months are also quite good and usually more predictable. Many kiters in the Tampa Bay area feel the spring is the best time of year for kiteboarding as the winds are plentiful, constant, and the water temps are warm. Noreasters’ also bring wind. These are massive low pressure systems that stage off of the Atlantic seaboard and bring strong NE winds hence their name. Easterly wind forecasts are tricky and one will learn quickly that early morning and later afternoon/eve are the best times to get the easterlies.
In a nutshell, two things drive wind, low pressure systems and thermal heating. If understood properly and respected, many epic days of Florida Kiteboarding can be had throughout the year. Don’t limit yourself to the Tampa Bay area either. If it is dead here, there is a good chance it is happening somewhere else in Florida. The Keys is a hotspot in the winter and spring months with endless days of consistent winds. The east coast can also provide winds when we are not and there are tons of spots to go out and test your skills in the waves. You can never learn enough about the weather. It is a challenge into itself. Study the weather and the patterns and you will find the wind.

Steve-O
Watersports West
Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Moore View Post
Luke,

Where are you moving from?

-Chris
Im moving from Kauai, Hawaii. I think i met u chris when you over here a few months back.

And im not going to be there in the summer because im going to be back home on break.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM

Cool hand Luke. Yeah we met back on Kauai. You will love it here during the winter time. Summer time sucks a$$. Do you still have my number?

Hit me up when your in town and I can show you all the secret riding spots. LOL!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Moore View Post
Cool hand Luke. Yeah we met back on Kauai. You will love it here during the winter time. Summer time sucks a$$. Do you still have my number?

Hit me up when your in town and I can show you all the secret riding spots. LOL!
Ya i still got your number. I will definetly give you a call once i hit up yown. I get to tampa on the 17th but probobly wont have gear till later in the month maybe early september.

Thanks

Luke