FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Man it was windy!

(It just gusted past 45... yikes). It's been exceptionally windy lately.
I don't think this is normal for this time of year. I also saw 2 white pelicans near the SW today, they seem to be here pretty early. I am not complaining by any means, but unless I have a really lame memory, this seems pretty early for such strong winds. And strong for hours on end

I actually got blown off a 7m 'roo at one point in what I think was 40 knots. WTF? 40? How many times are we going to hit that number this year? It's pretty unreal. The windier the better is kind of my philosophy, as long as you are rigged right. I guess I need a 5m? (????)

Jayson or some other vet, is it windier lately on these easts, or am I just imagining things?

I got to ride with Bob and Tom today and it was the most fun I have had in quite some time. Both were jumping big and it was fun to watch them. Tom busted some huge airs on his 12m in almost 30 knots (we were at least 200 yards offshore) and then took out Bob's 7m waroo.
I think I hit my highest jump ever in solid 35 on that 7m waroo.
It's been awhile since I have jumped and thought "holy crap... this is high". But on one jump, I definitely remember thinking "Man, this is way more height than I am use to".

Insanity is what today was, 15 to 30 plus, back down to 20, then right back to 35 plus again, typical St. Pete winds (up and down) but very strong. Lots of fun.
Tom, you really need a smaller kite... seeing you litt in 30 on a 12 is fun and all, but damn.

Bob, the 10 finally got here.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 PM
popeye

I know... DAMN is right. When I got there Scott was going HUGE. I mean really big. Then once I got out to started going over 30 again and boom bigger than I've ever seen him go, and that's big. More than 30 feet... how much more? I dunno but more. I am starting to see max jumps of 1ft per mph. Interesting coincidence.

For awhile it went over 35 and let me tell you what... 38mph on a 12M waroo is like playing russian roulette with the devil... you are bound to loose and it won't take long. Basically at that point I was so overpowered I had to put the wing tip in the water and keep it there.

I came in after holding the kite down 100 yards out like a f'in superhero, and switched to the 7M waroo. Squirly little thing... at one point I jumped hard expecting a nice big 30 footer... instead, right at about 20 feet (still accelerating) the kite inverted and shot straight DOWN, pulling me fully powered head first into the water.

Holy crap that hurt so bad I saw stars.

It's time to ditch my waroos. I don't need any more surprises like that! No more flutter bombs.

Buy hey it did better than Scott's slingshot. LOL.

So how was the skyway at 7?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM

man... i wish i was there on my 12m, or even my new 8m......
stupid foot
Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Default anyone riding in the morning

anyone riding in the morning let me know....or post where you are riding i would guess the skyway.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 AM

tom.. wtf on that inversion?? are you sheeting way out on the jump??

very odd.. i was on my 12 and 9 waroo all weekend at the skyway.. not once did they do any funky stuff..

that is scary.. glad you didnt get hurt ..

i know youve had a 9m invert on you too..

i rode my 12m all day on sunday in the 30+ winds.. and rode it w/o depower..
i never pull the depower when riding unless i am coming in.. thats when the kite starts flapping for me.. i keep it pretty powered 100% of the time.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 AM
popeye

I rode my 12M all day sunday also... it did actually invert once while I was standing on the beach... almost took me out and I ended up cutting up my feet when I got lofted (as it popped back into shape). This one was my fault, I forgot to pull the stopper down to keep backline tension. BTW the wind today (where we were) was a LOT more than Sunday when it spiked. I got to the point that I could not hold down the 12 any more and had to put it in the water for 10 minutes so I could keep from getting dragged to shore. Scott was getting close to being overpowered on the 7m for a little while too.

As for inverting in mid air, yeah I do sheet out during the jump near the apex. Thats the secret to boosting the waroos really high... Pull in when you pop, and then pump the bar twice at the apex ... each time you pump it, it will lift you another 5 feet or more.

BUT... I hand't pumped the 7m yet on this jump ... I wasn't at the apex. I sent it hard, and it ripped me up but at around 20-25 feet, before I could redirect it, it inverted and shot straight towards the water! I had the stopper set, and the kite wasn't even depowered much ... it was only a 7m in about 35mph.

It was pretty terrifying... kite heading towards the water and I am going in head first at mach 5 into about 3 feet of water.

I think it was actually flying too fast for itself when i sent it hard. Does that make any sense?

Weird.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:54 AM

I don't mean to bitch about wind.....

Wish it was windy enough for me to get out on my 15m before I have to head up North for three weeks. 30-40mph winds would have had me listed as the next accident on the forum, but it sucks being stuck on land when you don't have the kite or skills for this much wind.

I'm a 230lb guy, I was thinking about an 11-12m waroo for windy season, any suggestions?

-Roadie
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM

roadie.. an 11/12/13m kite will get a lot of use for you once you are ready for 25+ wind conditions..

i am 205.. have a 9/12/16 combo and use the 12m primarily.

the 9 a few times this weekend.. it was very windy.. more than normal for around here..

and Tom..
that is scary stuff man.. again.. glad you are ok.. 2006 waroos can get sketchy.

and yes.. last night as it was becoming dusk I had already put my kites down (exhaustion from too many hours kiting).. but Dan got nuked off the 12m waroo. It hit hard last night.

Sunday thru the middle of the day.. noon to 4pm ..I was riding the 12m and was often at the top end.. Randy was reading 30 at the skyway.. I think that might be a little high as I was able to hold down the kite fine with minor moments of thinking it was too much.. I rigged the 9m and it was fine but i was in the mood to be powered up.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Skyway Scott

Bryan,

Are you saying you weren't litt on a 9m in 30?
At my size, the 9m is too big at solid 30.
I know weight is somewhat of a factor, but once you get moving forward, inertia is inertia and you are on plane.

I might have to tie down 50 pounds on me somehow (that can be quickly dropped) to see what the added weight does.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 AM

I have a pic of Randy doing a statue of liberty wind meter pose on Sunday.

http://www.roadancer.net/gallery/v/kiteboarding/093007/100107-+269.jpg.html

Thanks for the kite info.
-Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty View Post
I was riding the 12m and was often at the top end.. Randy was reading 30 at the skyway.. I think that might be a little high as I was able to hold down the kite fine with minor moments of thinking it was too much.. I rigged the 9m and it was fine but i was in the mood to be powered up.