FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Skyway Scott

Steve,

I just need 3 or 4 good pics now.
http://tbka.org/index.php?option=com...d=27&Itemid=86

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 07-30-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Tom Stock

Ok serious response to this topic.

We don't need this sort of thing on the forum, it's not going to accomplish anything.

Next time it happens, make some phone calls, round up some guys and confront him right there on the beach asap.

If he refuses to cut the crap, tell him you are going to call the cops RIGHT NOW and he can explain it to the marine patrol and beach police, and that you have witnesses.

I guarantee he will stop at that point.

But if he doesn't , don't puss out and let him call your bluff. Go ahead and call. Explain to the cop that it is not kite boarders that are the problem, but just this one individual being reckless and you would like him to be forced to leave the beach. You have plenty of witnesses, and be sure to tell the cop that you are also a kite boarder.

Trust me, it's better if another kite boarder calls first. If one of the people on the beach call first you are going to be considered part of the problem by the cops.

Simple as that.

Normally I would say just kick the guy's ass, but if the cops show up to find two kiteboarders fighting on the beach and a bunch of pissed off residents are watching it will look very very bad for all of us.

Be the first to call, simple as that.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Skyway Scott

Since you are recommending calling the beach patrol or beach cops, what rule do we tell them that this guy is breaking?
I am just looking for info on this point.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Since you are recommending calling the beach patrol or beach cops, what rule do we tell them that this guy is breaking?
I am just looking for info on this point.
I would tell them that Most kiteboarders understand The dangers of vessels in the swim zone(just like jetskiers) and that this guy has shone disregard for the safety of the swimmers in the swim zone and we want him to leave before he hurts someone.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Skyway Scott

Not trying to be a nuisance. Is that a broken law, a kiter riding in the SZ? I know there are laws against jetskis in the swim zones.

Is the cop enforcing a rule about kiters being in the swim zone (I don't think one exists)? Or a feeling of "recklessness"?
What if a non-kiter calls a cop out and says "that guy looks reckless", what does that look like?

Again, not trying to be a jerk, just fleshing this out more. I don't know how this stuff works.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Tom Stock

No, it's called reckless endangerment.

It doesn't matter if he is on the beach, in the swimzone or in the parking lot. You need not even bring up vessels, swim zones, or anything else.

Gather witnesses for his reckless behavior and he is out of there, period.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Skyway Scott

Interesting. I am gonna have to just sit on the sidelines if that ever happens.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM

Problem at IRB is there are no "Swim Zones" there are just bouys that read "not wake" or "no boats"...the bouys have nothing to do with swimming.

I however agree with the reckless endangerment, you might be onto something there Tom.

I also think what Steve-O did was ok. If you don't bring up these issues and make them known, then how does anyone take action?

Its one this to see someone do something once or twice and address it with them in person, its another to have a repeat offender who refuses to listen, then I don't have a problem with calling them out on the forum.

Whitey posted a message about the whole swim zone thing before and what the law considers kiteboarders to be. At Honeymoon island you can't even have a kayak in the swim zone...The rules are weird.

Danny
Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Reckless and Careless Operation

Anyone who operates a vessel with willful disregard for the safety of persons or property will be cited for reckless operation (a first-degree misdemeanor).

All operators are responsible for operating their vessel in a reasonable and prudent manner with regard for other vessel traffic, posted restrictions, the presence of a divers-down flag, and other circumstances so as not to endanger people or property. Failure to do so is considered careless operation (a non-criminal infraction).

A violation of the Federal Navigation Rules is also a violation of Florida law.

Law Enforcement Authority

Law enforcement officers of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Sheriff's deputies of the various counties, and any other authorized enforcement officer, shall have the authority to order the removal of vessels deemed to be an interference or hazard to public safety, enforce all boating safety laws, or cause any inspection to be made of all vessels in accordance to state law.

Interperate how wevr you want but arn't kiteboards simply really small wind powered vessels?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Skyway Scott

I don't see a problem with Steve's post either, Danny.
Also, I think we are all calling the swim zone that area that boats aren't allowed in. In other words, it's safe to swim in there without getting drilled by a Formula 1 boat.

Tom, for the most part, I haven't been on the sidelines in 8 years in terms of confronting problems out at the beach.
But in terms of calling cops, I will be watching that to see how it turns out. I have bias concerning police.

Sean, you would think that kiteboards are vessels. Seems like a no brainer, right?
To my knowledge, they have no classification yet.
I have asked several marine officers, coasties, you name it. They all said to me "I am not sure how a kiteboard is classified".
Do you have any idea how a surfer is classified, especially SUP? I don't.

It seems logical that if a kiteboarder is classified as a vessel, that we aren't allowed in the swim zones.
I think this stuff will become more clear in the next year or so.
At some point, someone is going to have to classify kiteboarders as something.

If anyone knows, it would be RickI.