FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-19-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks. It's alot of little things that affect each spot differently. I'm still amazed that 10 minutes up the beach, it can be a totally different scene.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Well... I will be dam$ed if it ain't blowing again at Upham/Swigwam.
I think that's 5 days in a row NW.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Bob, its not really fair to call ikite misinformation. Its the only place where you can see all sensors at 1 glance. By the way, web cams won't show the kind of conditions you're describing. Sea breezes rarely are strong enough to cause whitecaps. I agree that a better array of sensors on the beach would be better but until then, ikite shows me all the sensors on one page and im not even a member. Best sensor for sea breezez is Clearwater.

H.R.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM

In fact a good sea breeze will almost always produce white caps, factors such as depth of water and current considered. White caps will start on the water in breezes that you can not even ride in, 7- 10 kts. But don't take my word for it, check out the oldest system for determining wind speeds with out any tools or meters (over 200 years in use).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

At beaufort 3 white caps are seen on the water and we usually need beaufort 4 before we can enjoy our sport.

Keep in mind the location of the Clearwater sensor is out on the pier. It is located about 3/4 of the way out, in between two roofed structures. One to the east of it and one to the west of it. These both have hip roofs on them. The proxcimity to these roofs can result in a disturbed flow to the sensor on east and west winds and a venturi effect on north and south winds. Hense the numbers you get on east and west are usually less than actual and the numbers you see on north and south winds are usually greater than acutal. Keeping this in mind the Clearwater sensor is very helpful in our area, right now it is our best sensor untill they get Howard Park up and running again. The Howard park sensor was the best indicator of a sea breeze that I have found.

Clifford C. Clavin, Jr.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:04 PM

In terms of a good sea breeze rarely causing a whitecap... never heard that argument. Hard to discuss a web cam's value if you actually believe that assumption. Glad you like iKite.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 PM

I see both sides useful. If you live down south, use the cam. If you live up north, use Clearwater sensor.

I have found the Clearwater sensor to be quite useful when hunting a sea breeze up this way. It is a pretty damn good indicator of what is happening out there as far as rideable wind or not.

Check out www.sailflow.com

Less addvertisement and in knots. Same gobalee goo however. :smile::smile::smile:

I do like to use the sensors to see if wind is on the increase or decrease. I use that info a ton when deciding to go or not.

Whatever works, but I definately don't consider Ikite or sailflow to be useless. Take what works and leave the rest.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM

iKite is the best. It should be a kiter's number one source for accurate, updated wind information.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 PM

I only use sailflow, it is not always right to the exact speed but you can sure tell if the wind will hold true or just die off. I use sailflow everyday
Old 06-20-2009, 09:50 PM

sayl floe, i kyte .....who cares?
watch the birds bro.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 AM

C'mon Bri, iKite is the best.
Just like East Beach is the only place to ride.