FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Cabrinha Control Bar Stopper Ball

Has anyone found or jury rigged a moveable stopper ball on any Cabrinha control bar?

I love my SBIII's, but would like to utilize a stopper ball like Slingshot or Best uses. The one spot only stopper that comes with it out of the box does not get it done.

I had a great session at Emerson Point yesterday, but my forearms were burning up. I just want to the perfect set up.

GO GATORS!

Gris

Keep it real!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 AM

I simply removed my stopper ball on all my CABs.

I do have an idea though. A few of us have replaced our stock Cabrinha center/depower lines with high strength line. We've doubled it up, very similar to a Best or LF bar. You COULD use a similar stopper to those bars with this Homemade depower line. But the stopper would have to work off small 1/8" diameter line, as that's all that will fit thru the Cabrinha Emergency release.

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM

would an actual BEST CL and stopper work on a Cab bar? you could buy the kit and rig it up...

i tell ya.. after going 2 seasons w/ a stopper on my kites.. i would have a hard time going without one.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 AM

The best and slingshot turbo center lines with stoppers work on the design of a cone shaped stopper on the line seating in a small round hole in the bar. The hole in a cabby bar is not small or round. I don't think the stopper would jam up to provide a complete stop to bar travel. But I have not tried it either. I have done a lot of sessions with my best bar on my SB III's (when I want short lines) and it works great. Just move your pigtails off of your cab lines to the best lines for hooking up to the briddle.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM

It is interesting to me the stopper concept. I personally cannot ride with one. I am using most of the throw of the bar most of the time. I am sheeting in and out contstantly to get just the right amount of power for any given situation.

I have tried to ride with a stopper on a SS bar and just don't see how one would want to be locked in with a limited throw. To each his/her own.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM

I think just like kites (C, SLE, Bow, etc.) it comes down to preference. I like a stopper ball, locking device however wants to be called, just because i learned some tricks by taking my hands off the bar. When I have flown kites with no stopper ball is hard for me to reach the bar and shits out depowering the kite a lot while doing the trick.

There is no right or wrong for me it just comes down to what you feel is more comfortable for you.

The Cabrihna's used to have some kind of stopper device (like a disc) in the override system. Last time i flew one, I think it was a 09 Crossbow, it didn't have that disc to stop the bar. I asked Damien L. and he said that some riders asked for it when providing feedback so i don't know if they decided to add it or not, perhaps Steve can tell.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Last time i flew one, I think it was a 09 Crossbow, it didn't have that disc to stop the bar.
No, the '09s do not have the stopper disc anymore. But, they are giving them out for people who ask for them to be able to retrofit them back on if anybody wants to.

I personally like the disk, altough I never really use it. it's nice to know its there if I do need it
Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 PM

The 09 IDS kites have a moveable stopper, although I don't think it works as they intended it too. As a matter a fact I wouldn't even call it a stopper.

I agree Eric....total preference and what you get used to.