FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 PM

Default East Coast Surfing

Last weekend surfing was sick, sick, sick. Here is a great vid I found in high def shot on the north side of Ponce inlet.

http://www.innerlightsurf.com/video0...0711bertha.asp

I am heading over again for some more stand up paddle action. It is expected to be knee to rib high....perfect!!!! I got my daughter of 3 years up and going on a stand up. Super stable and she had a blast. There is even room for both of us. The best day of surf I have ever had and it was only knee high. Next is the wife. I have been going about this surfing thing all wrong with her. This time should be a charm.

www.gulfster.com

I just decided to stop bitching about the lack of wind and enjoy another great sport in Florida that definately works this time of year. Gabe has seen the light too. He did his 3rd session ever last week and he totally has the hang of it.....even in head high surf.

Last edited by Steve-O; 07-19-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Skyway Scott

Awesome video link.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Tom Stock

What waves like that, no way I would be on a SUP! Perfect longboarding waves!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Tom Stock

btw, saw the pic of you and your daughter on gulfster. Great pic, planning on standing my daughter on a longboard this weekend since she just learned to swim. SUP definitely good for the kids ... just cruising around with them surfing little mushburgers.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 PM

Tom....true dat. I wasn't at Ponce, but if I was I would have been on something under 7 foot for sure. Those were some nice waves.

These days, like in kiting, I want to get away from the crowds. Unfortunately, you sacrifice wave quality in doing so, but you sure get alot more waves when you stay away from the popular breaks.

We just surfed some of the sandbars in Cocoa and the waves were fun. I brought a hybrid stand up from Jimmy Lewis, but with the wind on it, it was a bit tough for me to hang....so I just used the arms and had an 11 foot longboard. Gabe was in the zone.

The coast is getting another pulse from Bertha so definately heading there tomorrow. Looks fun!!!!

www.cflsurf.com
Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Tom Stock

Hoping we get some decent surf on either coast in the next 3 weeks... have an entire month free weekends and want to do some longboarding.

Planning to drive over (but can't this weekend) if anything shows.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 AM

There is been a nice storm brewing south of Cuba heading NW. It show signs of development and looks to be headed into the Gulf next week sometime.

Something to keep an eye on. The obvious bummer is once those storms get into the Gulf, it's like caging a tiger. They get pissed and there is no way out.

I wasn't here (East Coast) yesterday...in the shop...but Gabe and a buddy of mine (Phil) said the waves were better yesterday than last week's swell. Lots of head highs rolling through. Size has dropped off today but still should be fun. Two solid weekend of waves!!!!!!!

Gerry Lopez has a great quote......
"The first 20 years are just figuring out if you like it or not, the second 20 is where it all begins."

I started surfing at 14, so that puts me 20+ years into surfing. I would have to say I feel like I am just getting started.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Tom Stock

I started at 15-16, so I guess I am at 21 years also. I love kiteboarding but surfing is what I really enjoy most for a number of reasons.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM

The swell this weekend at the EC was about as good as you can ask for. It is those moments that you actually don't want any wind. Not even 5 knots....well at least not onshore wind.

Check out these pics

http://www.gulfster.com/Daily/2008Pi...1908Inlet.html

Looks like we are going to get some channel swell from this storm south of Cuba. If this thing slips through the Yucatan Channel we can bet for some clean glassy waves. Tom you may not have to drive to the coast afterall.

My new slogan.....

"Florida sucks"
Old 07-20-2008, 08:45 PM

Steve-O,
those pictures are great! My best friend came in town this weekend or else I would have been there! Maybe next time.