FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Skyway Scott

Cool Bryan. I am just glad you care. We have a lot of really good people here and this stuff will work out. It's my feeling that it always works better face to face, for so many reasons.
Yikes, been there, done that. Brain fart
Well, Billy lent me his brand new Ion3 to try out. Here I am, feeling unworthy of being on "the" kite, but just don't want to make an ass of myself, ya' know?
Okay, after I have it for all of 30 seconds and still on shore (man it was crowded) I come unhooked, one handed (board in other hand) and basically get semi worked and almost hit a car.
Yep, I sure made "the man's" kite look good.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:13 PM

First off, I don't give a crap what any rider ANYWHERE else in the world THINKS of Florida kiters. Florida kiters, especially the ones in this area are the best bunch of people I know of and would want to be associated with, if they are insulting Florida kiters then they are insulting my second 'family' so to speak. So if some idiots think we are wankers they can kiss my white ass because I really don't care about their perception of us. Sounds like the real drama is out there on KF...think about it...who are the real wankers???

That being said, I think that people should be called out in as many ways as possible if they are exhibiting this type of dangerous behavior. I am all for "being cool" and "sharing the stoke" but I think it takes a real wake up call for people that do this kind of stuff to finally realize how stupid they are being. Steve-O obviously knows these people, it sounds like there is a pattern that has developed with these two and newbs or pros it doesn't matter, they are risking injury or death to themselves or others, everyone's beach access, negative press of our sport, etc by doing things like this.

Do I think that every last person should be called out at the beach or on the forum because they had a kitemare or made a mistake? NO. ESPECIALLY the newer riders should be given a LOT of slack and I think that after you have been up and riding proficiently for a year or so we tend to get amnesia about about how hard it was for all of us when we were just learning. And these days it is even harder with all of the crowds. So I DO think that in MOST cases we need to help and offer our support to people learning and learning the RIGHT way, by taking lessons. That is how most of us have done it and the real way to gain the respect of the other kiters is to PUT YOUR TIME IN like all of the rest of us have. But blatant stupidity deserves to be called out in and I am glad that Bryan (and Steve-O) did it.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Skyway Scott

Only a few guys on KF said that. I think it's because it was implied we don't care and not that many were posting. So some people ran with it. That phenomena does matter to me because it illustrates the kind of conclusions that can be reached by some without having all the information, especially if it's hinted that no one cares or we are stupid or whatever.
It matters because if a person with any authority to help or hurt (legally or otherwise) reads it, we look bad and that may affect their decision to work with us. This stuff isn't written in a total vacuum. Just my opinion again.

Ultimately whatever the group consensus, I am mainly hoping it be applied even handedly. If most people think naming names will guarantee I can still ride St. Pete beach next year, I will participate. Thanks for the inputs Toby (can I have my bar before....... lol )
Old 02-18-2008, 03:55 PM

I already took a jigsaw to it Scott.

I don't think name-dropping is cool but letting one know that their actions won't be tolerated by posting 'the two guys on the 11M Waroo'...It gets the point across to them that what they did was dangerous but doesn't point the finger at their NAME on the forum persay. It is a learning process and learning how to kite involves learning when you did something wrong IMO.

On a side note, I DID see that F#%king idiot on the 16M Thruster make a couple of stupid moves again yesterday too...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I DID appear to be a little brown in the trousers that day but Stevil had it comin' to him!!! Catch me if you can...BIATCH!!! VROOM!!! VROOM!!!

Last edited by toby wilson; 02-18-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Tom Stock

Dude where did you get wonder woman's mini bike?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Default wheelin' and dealin'

I traded 3 slices of a stale pizza with that dude from the beach with the rhinestone flip flops.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Tom Stock

lol holy sh1t that was great
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Default Kooks At Siesta - Anyone Got Any Steroids?

So I am at my usual spot at Siesta and I see this small blue RRD at the smallest (least wide) part of the north end of the beach crashing next to the water, in the water, next to walkers (most crowded weekend - we had hundreds of beach walking tourists)

Anyway, I haul my old wrinkly ass up there and here are these two kooks, look to be in their 40s, both seem schnockered and one is wearing a hillbilly straw-hat (no shit)

Apparently the one dude who owns the new hyper type has been letting people fly his LF 3m trainer and then take control of the 8 or 9m RRD - I tell him he should pack it in - he and his buddy get in my face and since I am an OG (and apparently not very threatening looking) they tell me where to shove my comments

I swear if I had a knife I would have poked his freaking kite

Anyway, I gotta run to the club, gonna get doped up and huge and then kick some ass next time

OS/SRQ/an OG who at least tried
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Skyway Scott

I agree, for the most part most of us are friends. That's why I debated this post. At some point you have to put principle before being liked by everyone though. Ultimately I got into to kiting to kite, not be everyone's friend.

I know what that feels like Oldschool, trust me.
What really sucks is when you do that respectfully a few times and get blown off or have the story twisted around to the point where you are somehow the bad guy for wanting to preserve access. I and others have approached a few of the same riders regarding riding in swim zones (more importantly close to swimmers and near beach-goers) and have been blown off or just given lip service to appease us. These same riders have continued the behavior that they said they would not do.
The particular behavior that concerns me is riding close to shore in areas with swimmers. As we have seen recently, this can very easily lead to bans. If I originally didn't know this was possible (it happened at Ft. DeSoto about 4 years ago) I would have never even cared or brought up the issue. But, it's obvious that riding in swim zones full of people is a bad idea, that a few riders in particular have been talked to, PM'd etc. going back a ways, and that things are still basically the same in terms of continuing to ride close to shore within swim zones along the entire beach.

I feel that talking with them hasn't achieved much and gave up pretty much after hearing and reading their response. Because of this, I have reached out for help from some other guys I respect locally and am hoping they can talk these guys into staying a safe distance from swimmers and shore.

I and am going to wait to see if their efforts have an effect on the rider(s). In a few weeks if nothing has changed, I will make it abundantly clear who I am talking about and will be sorely disappointed if guys like Neil shy away or take sides based on "rider profile/friend status" as opposed to the facts and what's right.
Especially in light of his recent statements on KiteForum and the recent losses of access in areas like Pompano and possibly Lauderdale.

I guess we will see. I gave this approach a lot of thought before this post.
I have recently seen a conflict on Kiteforum about someone riding in swim zones and realize that he said/he said is easy to squirm out of without some sort of proof. So, as dumb as I feel doing it, I will have a video camera on me at all times when at the beach. It's not my sole intent to make a person look bad and my clip if made won't be a 2 second clip "catching someone" near shore. No, it will be many minutes long, showing a clear behavior. My goal is to have the behavior stop. I don't dislike or like those involved any more than any other rider.
Yesterday I could have made a very long tape, btw, but opted not to without prior warning.
So, if you end up on here on film, it's your fault for putting our access at risk. We clearly have several riders throughout the state saying "post it", including Neil, and I will post it in efforts to have the behavior stop. I personally am not really into naming names and consider it a last resort.
I won't however, just sit and watch as people risk access to a beach I walked as a child, especially in light of the current bans.
I still can't believe some guys have to be dealt with in this fashion, but so be it.