FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Skyway Scott

I just have to wonder what is going through a rider's mind if they insist on riding right through swim zones and drawing that much attention to themselves.
I don't much care what people do until it threatens access. I think it's become abundantly clear that riding in swim zones full of people might be an issue.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Scott,
Have you been riding Pass a grille again? You know that is not good for you sanity. I think parody and sarcasim are a little too subtle to be useful here. Those that should recognize themselves won't bother.

Bob
Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Skyway Scott

I wasn't directing that post at anyone in particular. It was made in light of recent state-wide events that appear to be leading to bans. Seemed like a good time to state the obvious, which is -- don't ride close to bathers in swim zones. Much talk beyond that seems pointless.

It should be blowing in about 30 minutes once this final band pushes through.
Looks pretty good.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Skyway Scott

Wow. It really filled in out there... actually too much for a while.
Had to self land and grab Raul's kite at one point to play it safe. We both basically got blown off in 30 plus.

Good to see you guys make it back. Raul and I were a little worried about ya' all for a minute there. Good to see you taking care of one another.
Thanks for letting me try your directional, Raul. :mrgreen:
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Can't Re-member

it's hard to kite in 15 kts rain going to 25+ on a 12m, but what the heck, hadda' get my fix in.

I'm pretty sure the footstraps aren't even needed at this point on that directional, and they may even hinder. I think that may be the way to go. at least in chop and waves
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Tom Stock

They don't have the BALLS to ban kiteboarding on our beaches.

They tried to ban skateboarding in down town St. Pete and Tampa and look where it got them...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I just have to wonder what is going through a rider's mind if they insist on riding right through swim zones and drawing that much attention to themselves.
I don't much care what people do until it threatens access. I think it's become abundantly clear that riding in swim zones full of people might be an issue.
Scott, Where in this thread is there any mention of anyone riding anywhere near a swim zone?

Honeymoon State park is huge, and a very small portion of it is designated swim zone and patroled by lifeguards (who are not even on duty this time of the year as there are no swimmers there).

The group that rides up there does a very dilagent job of working with the life guards and rangers to make sure that they know that we respect their rules, and the job that they are entrusted to do, thus making sure our access is protected, several of us have made friends with the folks that work there and have discussed the issue with them to let them know that if they have any concerns we will self police.

For those who do go up to Honeymoon State Park to ride, go to the far east bath house and walk to the east of the volleyball net to launch. Once on the water all stay out side of the small swim zone that is about 800 yards to the west of that area. Thre are miles of open playground there.

There is a bigger swim zone at Ft Desoto East Beach proper than there is at Honeymoon.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
They don't have the BALLS to ban kiteboarding on our beaches
I don't think thats accurate.

#1 I think they don't have the complaints here like they have from siver hairs in SE FL

and

#2 I don't think they have the resources to cover our numerous launch sites, but do have the resources to cover the limited launch sites in SE FL
Old 02-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Can't Re-member

Craig, to clear things up;

I don't think Scott was talking at all about Honeymoon island at all or its riders.

BTW, I would have gone up there today but opted for TI instead B/C the haul from Tampa woulda' been longer ( then back to ruskin even longer) . How were the waves?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Skyway Scott

In light of recent events, I was being sarcastic to make a point. It sounds like lots of bad stuff is going on right now all over the State with riders arrogantly riding in swim zones and just flat out being disrespectful of others. It's leading to bans and other problems. This behavior is far from new and is not coming out of left field, or all of a sudden, from "outsiders" or "kooks". As far as I am concerned, it's always been a core struggle among us kiters to balance our desire to be free, tear it up, and flat out show off..... with the need to be respectful of others enjoying the same water and beaches/launches in efforts to insure future access. Different kiters set the balance point of self-limiting their personal freedoms for this assurance of future access at different points along a spectrum; with some apparently unwilling to compromise any of their personal freedoms while others practice some self restraint. In this particular instance, I am talking about attitudes towards swim zones and was making a mockery of certain mindsets and behaviors.

I have zero doubts about you guys doing an awesome job up North. It's clear from your posts that you take it seriously. In addition, I can't imagine Steve-
O knowingly condoning anything short of respectful riding behaviors at spots he frequents. Oh, last I checked being respectful of beach goers and having fun and going balls out can easily occur at the same time. Still unclear as to some people's confusion over that one.