FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Let the Winds Begin!

Wind gods have gifted us with another stretch of strong winds. Skyway sensor is goin off!!! Looks to be a promising weekend to say the least...
Old 10-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Sup Sean? Winds are howling. Would prefer something onshore instead of Easterly. Can't wait till we get our first cold front for the season. I'll probably be at EB or LP on Sunday see you there.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 PM

Yeah, I miss the NW'ers. I got someone to cover my shift on sunday so I'll be at EB all day. I'll give you a call when I'm heading out.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Skyway Scott

Man. I just heard a loud boom. I walked out in the yard and limbs are breaking off of trees. I looked at Ikitesurf, it says gusts to 50.
WTF.

I hope it does'nt do that tomorrow. This is some whack wind so far this year, that's all I can say.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Geez. Probably a little sketchy to try riding late evening with winds like that. I'm amazed to see just how much the winds ramp up at night on these easterlies. I mean, we all say easterlies are good early morning and evening but lately it's been nuts. I wouldn't want to be out when something like that comes through. WTF is right.... lol
Old 10-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Skyway Scott

This year's winds so far have been the most f'd up I have EVER seen, ever. I remember if it blew 30 for more than a half hour being a very big deal on these "typical" easts, in the past.
Something is whack.. whack I tell ya'. Gusting to 35 to 40, about 6 times now in two weeks. That's just bizarre.
Not even really storm related, just clouds coming through, for the most part.

I do remember several years ago (4 or 5) sitting at EB with Jayson, Robert and a couple guys watching it blow 30 to 35 for all day and basically saying "screw it" because I don't think any of us had smaller than 9m kites. We just sat on our trucks watching it nuke.
Jayson rode his trainer kite that day. I remember the launch not going so well, and then him being litt on a trainer! Then he, I, and one more person all tried to ride (a 7.5 Naish, I think).
I remember he hurt his knees after getting lofted and I got my a$$ handed to me. It sucked.

With the exception of a few oddball days of strong E winds in the past, this stuff is abi-normal, imo. It's gusting from 15 to 35 or 40 (??). That's not normal. I got my hurricane kite for hurricanes!, not Easts moving over from the east coast and going apesh.t on us at 4 pm.

The only time we usually see winds even close to this are during coldfronts, and those are the really strong ones, like from a couple of seasons ago (the first boardercross at North Beach being the perfect example). That day was solid 30 to 35, with a gust to 42, recorded, I believe.
Obviously, those were NW winds, not Easts, and once they start to nuke, theya are usually more predictable.

These Easts are getting quite ridiculous in my mind. They have always been gusty, but in the past, they would go from about 13 or so to about 22 or so, then drop back down, then back up, all day.
Now... they are going from about 13 or so to 30 or more in 20 seconds (great ). I guess the good news is they tend to be staying at around 25 after that first spike, and not dropping below 20 (especially after 5pm.), so we can rig accordingly and just have fun after the first wave of strong wind passes us.

I don't have a clue what to expect tomorrow and Sunday, because none of the forecasts lately have said "expect strong spikes to 35 to 40 knots".
Old 10-06-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
I don't have a clue what to expect tomorrow and Sunday, because none of the forecasts lately have said "expect strong spikes to 35 to 40 knots".
ain't that the truth...lol
Old 10-06-2007, 08:13 AM

Talking

scottie,
2 words bro...

....cow farts
Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Skyway Scott

Yep. (Fossil fuel, too)
Got out early (8 or so) was decent. 15 knots, more at times, then around 1pm kinda shut off.
It'll probably fill in again by 6, I would think.
Tomorrow should be good, fingers crossed.