FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Please let Chris know he is in our prayers for a speedy recovery, thank you for the update.

-Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Kenny View Post
Thank you to everyone who has expressed concern regarding Chris. He is still in the ICU but is improving everyday and will be ok.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 PM
popeye

"I don't want that QR rigged like Tom Stock's".

LOL. Thanks Al.

I burst out laughing when I heard that. too funny.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Default sorry tom

I am sorry, Tom I forgot Scott was miked at the time. Honestly, i burst out laughing too. I was just being funny.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM

Default WOW twisted news

I just read the article quoting scott fears. I was present when scott was being interviewed by Julie Busch. Anyway scott represented our group very well and stressed saftey by all. He stressed it was an accident that happend to chris, and that our sport is safe with good instruction and common sense. They filmed scott for 10 minutes going over all the safety features of the kite bar. but of course the news shows none of it. They stick to their agenda of sensationalizing the accident with chris. I know scott is upset that his words got twisted around. Notice the quote in the article that if chris had a smaller kite up the accident would not have happened. thats obviously a misquote of scott we all know even with a smaller kite, the accident would have still happened due to the close proximity of the power lines. It makes me wonder when i watch the news about Iraq about what is really going on over there. the news just print and say whatever the agenda is that they try to push. very sad. hang in there scott you did a good job. they just twisted the words.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Scott,

Sorry for the poor accuracy and apparent bias in the reporting. There is a tendency in the media for that however the severity will vary among publications. Overall though I though your comments reflected fairly well on the sport.

I never spoke to Keith Morelli, had messages to contact him nor had I heard of him before seeing this article tonight. I am mystified as to what all his gross misquotes are based upon. The statistics included are incorrect to my recollection, some amazingly so. For instance there were NO FATALITIES in the USA in kiteboarding in 2003 or in 2000 that I know of. As to total accidents in the USA in ANY year, I have no idea. Wonder if he attempted to read the KSI with one eye closed, gathering grossly incorrect totals and publishing them in possible violation of the Copyright and terms of use. That wouldn't be very professional and as to fact checking?. I just left a voice mail for Mr. Morelli seeking a better understanding of what he printed and the basis for it. Scott, at least he spelled your name correctly. Although, all things considered I don't really mind his screwing that up in my case.

Anyway, the media at work. It does make you wonder about news from Iraq.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Skyway Scott

Here is my email to him.

Keith,

This is Scott Fears.
I read the article about kiting "Accidents on the Rise" and it has a few misquotes. I mainly care about one and it actually has me very upset.

I never said that if a smaller kite was up Chris wouldn't be in the hospital. I don't even know what size kite he had up when the accident occurred, so it is literally impossible for me to make that determination.
Did you take notes, or just guess about what I said?

Please remove that quote. I focussed solely on the proximity to power lines in our discussion toward Chris and his accident.
I would appreciate it if the proximity to powerlines (something that can be controlled by decision processes) is focussed on more than the gust coming (the whole reason we control our distance from objects). There is no way Chris would have known on that day that a gust line was coming, especially with his experience level. Again, it is for this reason (mother nature is sometimes unpredictable) that safe kiters live by the saying "distance is your friend." I am hoping this article will reflect on this reality and that most of the time kiters are safe because we follow these safety guidelines.

In addition, kiting is more safe than SCUBA diving and many other recreational hobbies.
It seems the article mainly wishes to show kiting as dangerous. I find this odd, since this is literally the first injury in the news in this town, ever.

I am hoping at bare minimum my quote can be changed to reflect what I actually said.
Thank you,

Scott Fears
Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Anyway, the truly important thing is that Christopher will recover. After such a harsh accident, it is marvelous news. Best wishes for his rapid and complete healing.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Skyway Scott

Oh, the safety stats. Yeah. I am curious how it feels Rick, putting countless time and God only knows how much effort into tracking kiting statistics, to have them abused and grossly misrepresented in attempts to make the sport look less safe now than before SLEs.

Remember "the summer of the shark"? Look up the actual stats. The media is clueless even when given the proper information. It's beyond disappointing.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Anyway, the truly important thing is that Christopher will recover. After such a harsh accident, it is marvelous news. Best wishes for his rapid and complete healing.
For sure. Chris, I PM'd you awhile ago. I hope you get it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Great To Hear Chris Is Going To Be Ok...for Chris' Mom, I Have Some Positive Advice...
For Any Of You Who, Like Myself, May Be New To The Sport Or You Are Looking For Info In The Tb Area...as I Am A 43 Yo, Male:
1] I Initially Researched The Sport, Gear, Difficulty & safetyconcerns Via Internet.
2] I Visited A Kite Boarding Shop (watersports West) And Talked Extensively About Whether Or Not I Was A Candidate For The Sport.
3] I Signed Up For The Introductory Class Taught By Steve-0, During Which He Stressed Safety, Safety, Safety & Of Course, Safety. I Would Highly Recommend This Class To Anyone Remotely Interested In The Sport And if Any Of You Media Folks Happen To Be Truly Interested In The Safety Of The Sport, Give Watersports West A Call And Sign Up For This Class. It Will Be More Than Worth Your While...as You Will See How A Certified Insrtuctor Prepares His Students!!!
4] As Advised During The Class, I Have Purchased A Trainer Kite And I Am Well Into My Minimally Recommended Preliminary 20 Hrs.
this Has Been The Most Difficult Process, As I Am Anxiously Awaiting My First Lesson. Hurry Up Steve-o!!!

I Believe That Having The Safety Guidlines Engrained In My Skull, Rather Than Some Asphalt, Will Help Prevent Any Avoidable Disaster Due To Lack Of Knowledge.

Maybe One Of You Instructors, As An Ambassador Of The Sport, Might Be Willing To Give Chris A Free Local Lesson, As A Result Of His Hardship. I Would Be Willing To Contribute To The Cause, If Someone Stepped Up With The Certification!!!

Again, For Chris And Family--may God Bless You And Keep You In His Care!