FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-01-2006, 09:05 AM
E-Bone

I agree with Scott's analysis here. The wind is all or nothing here, so the 9m/15m Ion quiver makes more sense to me. If we had consistent 15 to 22, maybe I would consider a 12m Ion, but we don't get that kind of wind so often. The 12m might be a great kite for kite travel to DR, etc.

Besides, the 9m flat kites are so fast that you can ride them happily once it is blowing 20, and you can ride the 15m happily when it is blowing 20, so, in my view, the ideal quiver is the 9m and the 15m. Smooth out any rough edges with a board.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 AM

sweet kite order Scott!

I know that a 15 ion or similar will be in our quiver (Dan and I share kites) by the end of the summer. it sounds like an amazing kite..

maybe its the speed of the 12.. not sure.. yesterday I was quite over powered .. felt that a 15 bow would have kicked my ass.

i know that the waroos do not depower as gracefully as an ION.. they have that well-known trailing edge flutter when sheeted out a lot. I ride it powered up and adjust the trim to keep this to a minimal. Thing pulls like mad when its in its sweet spot for wind. I think its fair to say that a waroo does not handle the upper wind ranges as gracefully as an ION. but in its sweet spot, i bet they are very similar.

I am definitely not as seasoned as most in the area.. but from January on this year I have been either on an 11, 13 or 15.. pretty evenly balanced between the 3 kites. i chose the 12 bow to cover those ranges. I also got a 9 as there were many times that the 11 was way too much. as well.. there are times that the 15 was not enough. lately, of course, its lighter winds. a 14 - 16 m bow kite will be in the quiver for us to cover the ranges.

That one kite can cover 3 C kites is pretty damn amazing.
think what we will be considering laying down $$$$ for in 2 years ...or sooner!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Skyway Scott

It simply is amazing. I am over here right now (not exaggerating) in a kind of amazement/euphoria over the idea of a one board/one kite quiver for most (not all days). Factor in Donna, and two kites has both of us covered, almost always (she won't ride in 25+)
So we got two people, three boards and two kites.. great bargain.

I think the waroos in general ride like bigger kites than their #m says.
I mean, Ebone on a 9m in 12 knots.
Also, the 16m Waroo flew like a 21m C with unreal low end... and I know there is zero chance of riding that in 20.

The 15m Ion (to me) flies like a 17m Fuel (low end) and seems like an 11m Fuel top end (that's 20 mins on it in 20+).

So, not really disagreeing with your take on your Waroo.. that's why I stressed upper end on the Ion.

I already know buying a 16m Waroo as the one kite choice would be a BAD decision. Not that the kite isn't great.. it just has more power and less top end, so you'd get cut off at 15knots is my guess.

So, we are both right

That's why I focussed on the windspeeds so heavily (so that any kite could be framed into that scenario)

Anyway, I am grabbing a 15m Ion and riding it most days :P
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 AM

I'm keeping my Ckites and waiting for all you guys to sell yours CHEAP!

Of course, I spend all my money too fast...
Old 06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Skyway Scott

I do have a kite for sale cheap. It's called the 16m RRD.

I will sell it for 200 bucks. I also have an almost brand new 13m Fuel I will sell for 300. Thing is... seriously, these kites are going to be close to worthless pretty soon. :?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
E-Bone

Yeah, my 16m and 12m 2005 Norths are for sale too, cheap. I have them on ikitesurf and have been getting inquiries but I've been too busy kiting to bother responding!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:39 AM

Man Scott, I almost lost my 13m on tuesday!

You know the rocks at redington :shock: ? I did a indy frontroll coming in, was trying to relaunch so was swimming really close, then made it to the sandbar... got too close for comfort, not doing that again lol.

Whenever I get money, I'll make a thread trying to get all your kites.

Have a little over $400 to go on my AR... then I'll have money for kites.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420
Man Scott, I almost lost my 13m on tuesday!

You know the rocks at redington :shock: ? I did a indy frontroll coming in, was trying to relaunch so was swimming really close, then made it to the sandbar... got too close for comfort, not doing that again lol.

Whenever I get money, I'll make a thread trying to get all your kites.

Have a little over $400 to go on my AR... then I'll have money for kites.
you got lucky.

heres my new switchblade 12m

Strut/Canopy

Canopy

LE/canopy
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Skyway Scott

Glad it's okay, and that you are too. I almost got whacked 2 days ago myself. I was on my 16 in 20+. Colin was there, but prolly didn't realize what a close call it was. I went to relaunch the kite.. kite was on water's edge and I was about 60 feet from shore. Well, it went up.. but.. the bar was all whack and it powerlooped (once)... luckily, I had my finger in the QR loop and BAM baby! see ya'... I QR'd that B#$%% as soon as possible.

No thanks Mr. Kite.. try to whack me again some other day :wink:
I think I freaked out a couple spectators.. that was my closest call in about a year. It coulda been bad.

EDIT.. Josh your post went up right before mine.
Damn.. well, glad that YOU are okay. Sucks to have a new kite get hurt.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Yeah man... I was just worried my kite was going to get wrecked...

I relaunched it like 8-10 feet away from the rocks though. The body dragged back to my board and rode way upwind.

I landed the indy frontroll, but then crashed my kite because I dove it too low (17" bar is slower then my pulley bar) and couldn't get it back up.