FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Default Cayo Costa - Kitesurfing Paradise?

Anyone ever riden Cayo Costa Island?
It is a 6 mile by one mile wide barrier island just west of Cape Coral and south of Boca Grande. Check google maps.
See the protected cove on the middle west side of the island.
That has to be the sickest NW, W, and SW riding ever!
and YES - you can camp and fish there year round
http://www.floridastateparks.org/cayocosta/
Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Can't Re-member

Lori and I have camped out there, it's pretty cool but tent spaces are limited if the scouties decide to camp out the same weekend as you. Totally rustic, no services, about $7 a tent when we went. you can only get there by boat , or take the ferry that goes there twice a day. when we stayed a big front hit and got awesome winds from the east but didn't have any equipment with me. No possible launch on the East side anyways, all mangroves. West side all big sandy launches. Looked like a N, NW or W winds would work great too. And the cove isn't really that big at all, looked pretty choppy even but north of there and in the pass between gasparilla island looked epic!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 AM

When were u there Raul? Did u check out the cabins? any power or water/ showers?
According to the satellite and google earth that cove is bigger than all of each beach and nearly as big as the inside of shell island. I would think on a west wind that the west side of the cove all along the sandbar would be glass?
I would love to go camping/kiting there but it would be nice if they have power and showers.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Can't Re-member

I don't remember any electrical power at all on the island, we were there in 2002 ( pre-charlie ). when we were there all the cabins were full with scout troops and we got the next to the last tent spot. I don't remember they had much in the way of facilities but obviously they added some nice cold running water.

here is what it says:
Cabins

"Cabins are available on Cayo Costa. Each cabin sleeps up to six people. Each cabin is furnished with three bunk beds and a table. The cabins are very primitive and do not have electricity or any other amenities. They are centrally located to bathrooms and showers. There are grills available for cooking. Each cabin is conveniently located to the beach area and nature trails. Tent camping sites are available for up to 8 people per site. There is a picnic table and a ground grill provided at each site. The sites are centrally located to bathrooms and showers and conveniently located to the beach area and nature trails. Cayo Costa has modern restroom facilities, conveniently located in the camping areas, equipped with flushable toilets and cold water rinse-off showers. Potable water is also available at the restrooms. Access to the island is by Ferry Service from several Charter Boat Services. Visitors must carry in all food and drinks, as there are no facilities on the island. All items must be taken off the island upon departure."

The cove; I don't remember it being spectacular, but I didn't get to check out the one in the south tip of the island. Is that the one you mean? the one in the middle of the island is alright.....let me know if you go, we are up for camping this year
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 PM

I've been in that cove several times fishing over the years. If you go there take a jig and fish the mouth. Awesome trout, snook, tons of ladyfish and jacks... non stop 80% of the times I've fished it. The cove is big enough that I've seen people ski behind boats in there. the tide rips hard in and outta that channel too. Be aware though that those are REAAAAAALLLLY Sharky waters. Tarpon start showing in the pass as early as late April and the Hammerheads and bulls are waiting. I've seen them chasing those schools up into pretty shallow water- 10 feet or so. That being said it is a kickass spot and would be a rippin session on a SW. If you camp there it is noseum heaven, so take bug spray

Last edited by skempthepimp; 02-19-2009 at 10:37 AM.