FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Smile san francisco trip

Hey all,

I am heading to san francisco in the thrid week of september and wanted to bring my gear for some time on the bay.

I am planning on bringing my waroo 9m, 12m, 17m, 5/4 semi dry and one of my boards.

Does anyone have some recomendations of best places to ride, what to watch out for, expected conditions and etc?

thanks,
Dan
Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Dan,

I got back from the gorge/bay area yesterday and you should be stoked to say the least. My best advice would be to leave your seventeen and or sell it for a seven meter. I brought out a 7, 9, 11 and rode the 9 the most and swapped between the 7 and 11 occasionally.

Best places to ride nearest to the city would be the south bay area by 3rd ave or coyote point. 3rd ave is their equivelent to our east beach, highest concentration of local riders and a real steady scene. The norm involves wearing as much neoprene and safety equipment as possible whilst boosting next to the rocks for the joggers and windsurfers to gawk at you. The more defined your junk is and the more accessories you have, the cooler you are.

I never wore a wetsuit down there but it was borderline. If you head to the coast definitely bring a 4.3mm suit. Waddel creek is only an hour to the south and has great waves but is the only localized place i have ever ridden. (If your not on a caution kite with a strapped surfboard slapping a wave as many times as possible you get frowned apon/yelled at.)

The BEST place to go is hands down the delta, Sherman Island is one of the better places i have ridden in a while and they have a sick kicker, it blows almost everyday but its also an hour from the city so check the forecast. The bay also blows everyday sherman is just warmer and windier. Sherman is like a wind gypsy land where you could camp as long as it blows if you want, very cool.

Thats kinda my 2 cents but feel free to give me a call if you want some more info or local contacts (203) 918 66threeseven, try not to stay in the actual city but rather around pacifica or burlingame, there's sick waves and its closer to the bay kite spots (20 min from city)

p.s. seriously watch out for kooks, i kid you not there were guys with oakley ski goggles around their bicycle helmets and diving flippers tucked into their impact vests????
Old 08-17-2008, 06:21 AM

Hi Dan
I was out there over the fourth of July visiting. They were having an off wind pattern most of the time I was there so 3rd and Alameda were not working. They are like East beach in that they are more beginner spots. Though the quality of the launch is closer to backside. Plenty of mud and a real funky smell at 3rd. I rode Crissy field and can say it is not for the novice rider, but I'm sure you could handle it. It turns on in the afternoon and will blow upper 20s to 30s in the channel under the golden gate, where you can mix it up with the tourist ferries and freighters. The wind dies off near the launch so rig for whats outside not what it is blowing on the beach. The current really rips there so you should avoid ridding on a strong flood as it runs the same direction as the wind and you'll have trouble staying upwind. The local crew were friendly and helpful. Sherman didn't fit into my plans but I here it is a great place to ride.

Here is the link to the local forum http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/

And a controllable video cam http://cams.exploratorium.edu:8010/1/control.html
try preset on GG bridge or windsurfing in the afternoon pacific time

Have fun