FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Key West Summary.......

I went down to Key West with Cornell, Venice Mike, and Mike's son who is now know as "Man Cub" after enduring a guys weekend.

1. Don't take a 5 foot DaKine Kite Travel Bag on the Ferry, way too big for that boat. They only let me on because I was really early and they had room for it. If I would have broke it up into my kitebag and board bag instead of cramming both into one there wouldn't have been a problem.

2. Ferry is a pretty good deal. The ferry I rode on was fairly new and comfortable, they had a lounge, flat screen TVs playing movies, and plenty of seats. I ended up taking it only on the way down and road back with Mike and Cornell because I didn't feel like hanging around in Key West till 6PM. My liver had about all it could take.

3. Paul Menta and Mike from the Kitehouse run a great program. Mike picked us up in his boat, next thing I knew he had all of our kites inflated, lines rigged, and we were all up and riding in a few minutes. After a great session he packed up all of our gear and we headed back to the dock. They gave Man Cub a lesson and have all the latest and a huge range of gear. Those guys are true professionals and an asset to our sport.

4. I don't know if it was the wrong weekend, but I've been going down to the Keys for years and this time Key West was really starting to get overrun with a lot of thugs and hustlers. Bars I had gone into for years now had bouncers with metal detectors checking everyone going in. I know it is a sign of the times, but it is a shame to have it happen to Key West. Irish Kevin's is still a good bet for some not so family friendly fun.

5. Mike can drink a lot of beer........

Summary, The Keys are fun, there are lots of great people down there, miles and miles of waist deep flat water. But when everything is said and done, if you want great conditions and you know where to go... Tampa Bay has a lot to offer. Tons of open beach to launch, Riding in all wind directions, Waves riding in the Gulf, and lots of open flats if you have a boat. It was a fun weekend and kiting is a great excuse to break loose for a weekend with the boys in the Keys, but I'm looking forward to my next TI to Undertow downwinder.