FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Tom Stock

Really NE to ESE... once it goes SE it gets really gusty, NNE or SSE forget it.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 AM

Is parking on the street the issue at LP or is it being in the park after hours?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:51 AM

in the park after dark is the issue....
Old 05-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Exactly.
A ban on kiting there would not be night-time only either, that was my point.
The people complaining over there probably hate the day time kiters too, but can't bitch about it too much during regular park hours. Why give them any ammo?
I happen to like night riding too, BTW.
Advertising how cool it is is what I don't like.

Simple solution to the Lassing issue= ride somewhere else at night. Somewhere you can hoot and holler all night. (Skyway, 10 penny, etc.)
Just watch out for the sharks, and the trolls who are fly fishing for trouser trout...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Tom Stock

Night riding is lame and Kiteboarding is for kooks.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Skyway Scott

How did this even remotely turn into a BAN ON KITING 24/7 (in bold) topic?

We were asked to leave the park due to a law that applies to all people, regardless of what they are doing, after dark. It was most likely one neighbor that asked a cop to enforce this law. From what I heard, the cop thought it was pretty lame that she was there enforcing it. If she had said - "You guys need to get the hell out of here and stay out!" This post would have advised against riding Lassing at night. That's not what happened. Until we are asked to leave again for riding at night, I will continue to ride there.
I don't think it will happen if we stay north, away from that one resident.
It's the entire reason I posted was to warn people to stay away from that one house and lessen our odds of being asked to leave at night, again.
In my mind, the fact I have never seen a cop out there but once means most residents don't care and don't view us as a problem (seems rational to draw that conclusion).
My other conclusion is that a resident that takes the time to install a light powerful enough to light up the whole park is the type that doesn't want people there at night. I parked in front of the house with those lights for the first time ever the other night and a problem occurred.
Seems to me... 50 times park one spot with no problems.. then switch parking spots to house with HUGE light mounted, light comes on, cop shows up ten minutes later, is a VERY large coincidence. So large that it makes sense to assume the guy with the light called us in.
If we avoid parking in front of that house, maybe it won't happen again. If it does, I guess we are shi.t outta' luck and I will ride at some place others than those you recommended, Steve. I won't post their location.

Some facts (to avoid hysteria, here):
I haven't ever seen a cop out there at Lassing prior to the other night in 7 years of riding there at night.
I have talked to dozens (maybe up to 100) interested passers-by and residents who love watching us over the years.
No cop or neighbor has ever expressed concern about kiting in the park during the day.

If I go to Lassing tonight at 11pm to play frisbee with my buds and get kicked out, the cops will write down my tag and see if I show again. Then if I do show again, they may give me a ticket or penalize me accordingly. They won't show up the next day and kick some other guy out of the park for playing frisbee.
I am pretty confident the same logic applies to kiters. So no worries, if I get a $100 fine for being in the park after sunset, I somehow don't think you will be asked to stop giving lessons in the park in the future.

Before we jump to full blown kiting ban conversations about Lassing, I recommend we avoid parking in front of that one house and see what happens.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Yo!

before anyone gets their panites in a wad...let me do some looking into this..

my girlfriend is very good friends w/ 2 families that live there at Lassing Park and I will give them a call to get the REAL scoop and see whats going on.

I know that they have both told me previously that they love to watch us kite out there..

I assume that this is just a one-house issue and nothing to worry about.

Tho if there is a specific rule that park is closed after dark I think they would win that argument.

I'll get ahold of our friends and see what I can find out.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Word of warning

Just a heads up, I rode into Lassing during the race, obviously I wasn't really racing, and nearly ran over an 8 foot bull shark. The cops would be the least of my worries at night. By the way is the sailboat still stuck on the sandbar?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:07 AM

oh that sounds pleasant...

was shark inside or outside of the sandbar?

funny note on that sailboat.

for the last couple years it has been moored next to the boat that Dan and I own in the marina just south of the Pier. apparently the story is that someone bought it and was going to sail it to the bahamas ...

and he made it as far as Lassing.

oops.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Can't Re-member

Bull sharks often come way inshore during the spring to pup lill ones.

I saw my first 9 footer almost exactly this time a year ago in the shallows on the other side of the bay. I had also accidently run/ jumped over him/her B4 I finally saw it.......