FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM

cool...
you should have seen the looks i got going down interstate with my blood covered foot out the window
it helped stop the bleeding
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Default get well

Danny great seeing you yesterday......really sorry about the foot. take care get better quick.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Skyway Scott

It seems like foot injuries far exceed in other type of injury here.
It's fairly unreal how common they are (bad ones too).

Get well soon Danny.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

While I was launching a few people yesterday I removed 2 shards of green colors glass from the sand, then quickly put my booties back on!!

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Man i was there, it was just gushing out blood and red footprints everywhere.....he lost alot of blood and was just laughing at it all.....i would have been crying or fainting if it was me! Today Im researching Kevlar and adhesives. My idea is to use a Mystic Bootie and laminate some kevlar all over it. Randy's Idea was to put a Kevlar sole insert inside the boot, but i think it needs to go on the outside. Im finding alot of Kevlar gloves on the market but no booties.......who wants to make a million......heres your chance. Needless to say Inerno KEEP AN EYE ON IT FOR INFECTION....OK?
im glad you had a good rippin session prior to this.

Later,
Philthy
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Skyway Scott

We had the same discussion about Kevlar and I looked into it as well and thought I was on to something.
Steve Sadler found some Kevlar booties at RealKiteboarding. But then some guys said it wasn't all that puncture proof. Who knows.
I know I would be interested in finding something puncture proof as well, Phil.

Firemen use Kevlar (nails, sharp stuff in burning buildings).
You might look on a fireman supply site for ideas regarding Kevlar tape, inserts.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Hey Scott, where were you man, it was awesome. Yeah I figured Kevlar booties isnt a new idea at all, but its a GOOD idea, it might have made Inferno's cut a 3 stitcher rather than....uh how many was it? Im corresponding with a wetsuit manufacturing supply that sells kevlar and neoprene adhesives. id think a thick kevlar sole would protect against punctures and i could use the thinner kevlar for the top of the bootie.....we need flexibility and they cant be too thick so i think laminating over a 1mil. Rip Curl bootie is the best bet. Otherwize there are some good booties on the market, this company makes a pretty strong claim on this Rip Curl 5Mil bootie:

"The sole is virtually impervious to reef rock, mussels, barnacles, urchins, surfboard fins, and shark bites, while the upper is flexible enough not to restrict your movement."

SHARK BITES? im calling bullshit on this one.
Link:http://www.wetsand.com/product.asp?l...893&SubTabID=0
i think a grouper could bike through these, but the the soles look beefy

Maybe chain-male armor boots will work
Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Cool! RealKiteboarding still has the Kevlar booties you talked about Scott. They look hell for stout too.......exactly what the doctor ordered. $59 is alot cheaper than a day in the ER room, plus no infection worries. $10 cheaper than the Rip Curls listed above.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
E-Bone

It's a tough call whether to wear booties. I've chopped my feet up often enough over the years, including nicking an artery once, but when I wear booties I can't feel the water well and I tend to get stuck in the straps when I want to get out during a wages of sin moment.

It seems like booties might not help you when you are getting dragged in the shallows, either. Yeah, your feet are likely at a high risk for injury, but it seems like you could gash your legs, your ass, or your face. I remember doing a face plant out on the sandbar once where I literally put my an imprint of my face right in the sand, about 1 foot from a bunch of nasty shells. Hell, you could probably cut your pecker off during a wipeout under the right (or should I say wrong) set of circumstances.

I'm wishing you a fast recovery, Danny, and congrats for maintaining a sense of humor.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadancer View Post
Things I'm learning to take with me for kiting: duct tape, emergency first aid kit, morphine
The morphine is a really good idea. I'd have definitely needed it when Danny came in with that foot!