FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default St. Pete Beach Kiting info needed.

Eagle perhaps you could help John out with some information about the following following area in St. Pete.

"I will be in the St. Pete beach area for 2 days in October. I will be
staying at or w/in walking distance from the Don Cesar Hotel. What are the
closes viable kite launch sites and best winds for these locations. If you can
help, please direct me to someone who can tell me what I need to know about
nearby launches, rules etc..(I am an experienced kiter, upwind-able, who mostly kites in the Ocean in the northeastern states.)
Thanks,
John R"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default St. Pete Beach Kiting info needed.

Eagle perhaps you could help John out with some information about the following following area in St. Pete.

"I will be in the St. Pete beach area for 2 days in October. I will be
staying at or w/in walking distance from the Don Cesar Hotel. What are the
closes viable kite launch sites and best winds for these locations. If you can
help, please direct me to someone who can tell me what I need to know about
nearby launches, rules etc..(I am an experienced kiter, upwind-able, who mostly kites in the Ocean in the northeastern states.)
Thanks,
John R"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-08-2004, 07:55 PM

John,

Wind permitting, you are staying near all the choice spots in the area.

Saint Pete Beach sounds like where you will be staying and you will be able to ride here on SW/W/NW winds. The conditions on SPB are favorable with outer sand bars which parallel the beach and open spots to launch which are relatively free of hazards and obstructions.
There is a beach bar just north of the Don CeSar called the Undertow which is a popular launch among the locals.

Fort Desoto is about a 10 minute drive southeast from St Pete Beach and you can kite here on any wind direction. The east side AKA East Beach has flat, shallow water with deeper water outside the sandbar towards the Skyway Bridge and Egmont Channel.

East Beach is kitable on NE/E/SE/S winds and SW here is side off shore.
There are a few obstructions on the launch site, trees, signs, trashcans etc, so launch in the most open spot you can find.
The water is shallow and warm in October so you wont need a wet suit, however I would recommend wearing aqua shoes as there are hazards such as old crab traps, rebarb, oyster shells and the like which can cause nasty lacerations.

No rules here really, just be courteous and use common sense.
We do ask that folks use a kite leash around other kiters and beach users, if you want to kite out in the middle of the bay or Gulf without a safety leash then go right ahead.

The local kite shop here is Watersports West 727- 517- 7000 and you can find out where and when its happening by calling John or Doug at the listed number.

Drop me an e mail a few days before you get here and I'll let you know how the wind is looking and if you need a ride to the launch we can arrange that.

Eagle
Old 09-08-2004, 07:55 PM

John,

Wind permitting, you are staying near all the choice spots in the area.

Saint Pete Beach sounds like where you will be staying and you will be able to ride here on SW/W/NW winds. The conditions on SPB are favorable with outer sand bars which parallel the beach and open spots to launch which are relatively free of hazards and obstructions.
There is a beach bar just north of the Don CeSar called the Undertow which is a popular launch among the locals.

Fort Desoto is about a 10 minute drive southeast from St Pete Beach and you can kite here on any wind direction. The east side AKA East Beach has flat, shallow water with deeper water outside the sandbar towards the Skyway Bridge and Egmont Channel.

East Beach is kitable on NE/E/SE/S winds and SW here is side off shore.
There are a few obstructions on the launch site, trees, signs, trashcans etc, so launch in the most open spot you can find.
The water is shallow and warm in October so you wont need a wet suit, however I would recommend wearing aqua shoes as there are hazards such as old crab traps, rebarb, oyster shells and the like which can cause nasty lacerations.

No rules here really, just be courteous and use common sense.
We do ask that folks use a kite leash around other kiters and beach users, if you want to kite out in the middle of the bay or Gulf without a safety leash then go right ahead.

The local kite shop here is Watersports West 727- 517- 7000 and you can find out where and when its happening by calling John or Doug at the listed number.

Drop me an e mail a few days before you get here and I'll let you know how the wind is looking and if you need a ride to the launch we can arrange that.

Eagle
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Fort DeSoto Park is less than ten minutes by car. The east beach is where to go. Good view of the Skyway Bridge.

Some kiteboard on the St. Pete end of the bridge on the east side...Beware! Lots of hazards, but usually good winds.

James

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Fort DeSoto Park is less than ten minutes by car. The east beach is where to go. Good view of the Skyway Bridge.

Some kiteboard on the St. Pete end of the bridge on the east side...Beware! Lots of hazards, but usually good winds.

James

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-30-2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

James
James

The spot you are talking about is known as the Skyway and yes there are a few hazards to consider, more important is the lack of exit points along the stretch of I-275, which runs in close proximity to the launch site.

This is a spot that beginners should avoid due to the hazards and heavy kiting traffic that tends to occur here.
If you cannot ride upwind I'd recommend another spot to kite.
Ft DeSoto park is close by and far more appropriate for a beginner to learn and progress at.

It is worth mentioning that an EAST wind at the Skyway is dead onshore and caution should be used especially during launching and landing.
This spot can only handle so many people before things get outta control out there so this should be taken in consideration when riding here.

Pray for wind,

Eagle
Old 09-30-2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

James
James

The spot you are talking about is known as the Skyway and yes there are a few hazards to consider, more important is the lack of exit points along the stretch of I-275, which runs in close proximity to the launch site.

This is a spot that beginners should avoid due to the hazards and heavy kiting traffic that tends to occur here.
If you cannot ride upwind I'd recommend another spot to kite.
Ft DeSoto park is close by and far more appropriate for a beginner to learn and progress at.

It is worth mentioning that an EAST wind at the Skyway is dead onshore and caution should be used especially during launching and landing.
This spot can only handle so many people before things get outta control out there so this should be taken in consideration when riding here.

Pray for wind,

Eagle