FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 AM

So what sensors if any do you use for winds at Cypress? Tomorrow may be decent Southwest to South-Southwest, which I guess works best there if its not storming, but I want to be able to check how the wind is building before driving out there. Only resource I can think of is the C-Cut reading on PORTS, but I don't know if that really correlates with Cypress since its more North. Any suggestions other than a drive to the beach. Also, I know southwest is best from theprevious posting, but if more of a S. will that still be fine and not tto gusty/
Thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Flaccid Member

Cypress will work tomorrow, but I still say the best spot on a SW or SSW is Picnic. There are flats just south of the launch beach where you can take mile long tacks. The little wave kickers that line up are the best!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Never been to Picnic. In order to keep all parties happy, I'll probably take the family with me, and with the beach at Cypress the future pro kiteboarder can play in the sand. Isn't picnic where histrially you've gotta watch you're back walking to and from the beach? Or is that way overblown?
Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Flaccid Member

People have been jumped there...though I have seen some unsavory types at Cypress as well. Over all I think Cypress may have a less shady crowd.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Flaccid Member

Talking

Myself and a buddy will be at picnic island 9-12 in the morning, if anyone is interested! Everyone be careful, it looks like the first big blow of the year. New people please stay home if you do not have a small kite or feel comfortable with gusts in the 35knt+ range!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I actually dromve over to Picnin today since I had never been there to check it out and look around. Where out there do you set up. I saw multiple spots, but the beaches didn't look to huge. I'm assuming way in the back the furthest from the entrance
Old 11-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Flaccid Member

Actually we usually set up on the widest beach near the first shelters. On a SSW it could be completely side shore. We ride upwind and around the tip of the Island. It is shallow everywhere up there, but on this direction you need to be able to ride upwind rather well. There is a tiny beach on the south tip in case you have problems.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the good info. I think I'll save my first try out there for a less windy day. Get the lay of the land first. Don't need to be in 25-35 at a new site the first time. Hopefully I'll see you out there another time. If you see an Expedition with an LSU tag out there, that's me.
Thanks,
Richard