FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Thumbs up Madeira Beach Middle School "Curriculum Celebration"

Thanks for your interest and happy kiting!

Last edited by TBKA; 05-06-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Will there be face-painting and business cards at this "community-building event?" If so, I'm IN! I'll be hosting a glow stick demo for youth night rides. Glow sticks will be available for purchase, of course.. YYYaaaaaaaaayyy!!

Get ready moms and dads!

...or is it just me?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Does the "B" stand for "Bad Attitude"?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 PM

"Bad attitude?" Those who have met me know otherwise. Pitching our sport and slinging gear to 10 and 12 year-old kids....please. You of all people should know how dangerous this sport is and no talk about safety lessons is going to prepare a child for a kitemare, sorry. Everyone wants to make a dollar of the hobby we all cherish so much, but at the cost of what?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:20 PM

sean,

i think it's a great age to start, kids that age learn quick.

i know i did.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM

So none of the aforementioned businesses/instructors will be profiting of this "charitable" event in the near future? If not, good. Why not a school in South St. Pete, where kids could really use a positive influence? Madeira beach has excellent schools and is an affluent area. You aren't exactly gonna be "keeping kids off the streets" over there.

This "positive influence on youth" approach is students taking up the sport of kiteboarding in the near future, instead of doing whatever else it is they normally do for leisure activities outside the classroom. Right? Products and services are being offered to kids/parents who are interested in getting into the sport. The fact that kite-camps are being offered only reaffirms my point.

Why not have a canned food drive? How about a monetary donation from local kiters on behalf of TBKA to a cause our group feels is most worthy? How about from the aforementioned businesses? How about typical beach cleanups. How about a monetary donation on behalf of TBKA to a less-affluent school which is in need of funding? We can better the children's classroom experience if they have all the tools necessary to facilitate a learning environment. How about a massive salvation army donation on behalf of TBKA? All great causes. Add more if you've got some I missed, cause I know there are plenty more...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTaylor View Post
sean,

i think it's a great age to start, kids that age learn quick.

i know i did.
Josh,

...and you're an excellent rider bro. I've enjoyed watching you many times out there. My argument is from a somewhat different standpoint though.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM

I believe these thoughts and ideas should be addressed fully at the TBKA General Membership meeting. If you are this concerned, and interested in being an active kiter involved in the community, than I have no doubt that we will be seeing you at our General Membership meeting on Saturday.

Also, just in case you have not visited the TBKA website and became a member, here is the link: http://tbka.org/forum/index.php
Please register and submit any further, proactive ideas you may have. We are always looking for kiters with a positive voice. Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting!

Everyone else - this is going to be a great event to promote water sports. I look forward to watching the boys demonstrate killer wakeboarding skills, and not to mention the newest sport, just in time for summer, stand-up paddle boarding!! Join us if you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean B View Post
So none of the aforementioned businesses/instructors will be profiting of this "charitable" event in the near future? If not, good. Why not a school in South St. Pete, where kids could really use a positive influence? Madeira beach has excellent schools and is an affluent area. You aren't exactly gonna be "keeping kids off the streets" over there.

This "positive influence on youth" approach is students taking up the sport of kiteboarding in the near future, instead of doing whatever else it is they normally do for leisure activities outside the classroom. Right? Products and services are being offered to kids/parents who are interested in getting into the sport. The fact that kite-camps are being offered only reaffirms my point.

Why not have a canned food drive? How about a monetary donation from local kiters on behalf of TBKA to a cause our group feels is most worthy? How about from the aforementioned businesses? How about typical beach cleanups. How about a monetary donation on behalf of TBKA to a less-affluent school which is in need of funding? We can better the children's classroom experience if they have all the tools necessary to facilitate a learning environment. How about a massive salvation army donation on behalf of TBKA? All great causes. Add more if you've got some I missed, cause I know there are plenty more...
Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKA View Post
I guess that K4L/Stevil guy wasn't all bad, huh?
nice avatar, too...
TBKA
You kidding me Steve? I think you're a great guy with great ideas for the sport. I don't believe I attacked you personally. I just think TBKA's resources could be put to better use here and local businesses shouldn't use this "positive influence" stance to draw a profit. Now that I'm back in the country...I've been gone since January...I would like to volunteer my time. At the moment, I'm working nights while I search for a job within my field of study. Once I find a job, I'll be on a schedule much like the majority here and should be able to attend evening meetings. The types of fund-raisers you say your organization has accomplished are exactly the type I'm talking about. It's not necessary to throw in my face, the fact that you performed one over the other. They are all equally commendable and deserve recognition. Those are the types of activities which, I feel, should continue being pursued. Those are the actions that truly make a difference in our community. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way and......that's fine. The current MBMS project is absolutely a business proposition.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 AM

If you read back through the posts your tone of voice has gone from mocking to attacking with some interesting ideas sprinkled in here and there. I think before you get on this forum and attack/mock an organization (which some people have worked so hard to start up and are continuing to work hard to establish) you should attend our meetings and find out what we are about and what other community activities we have lined up.

It is very easy to sit behind your computer and bitch. It is something entirely different to show up and be a face....be involved. Excuses are just that, excuses. Here is our website again, please sign up and join our association. And perhaps keep your tone in check when participating in public forums.

http://tbka.org/forum/index.php