FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM
popeye

Sorry, I completely disagree.

Speaking from experience here.

Unhooking is easy sure, but not when you are being dragged at 40mph and you have 600 pounds of tension on that CL.

Rauls analogy is dead on. It's equivalent to having someone loop your kite by grabbing the bar in 30 knots. Do you really think you are going to reach down and unhook before the kite throws you headfirst into the dirt?

Not a chance.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Can't Re-member

Funny stuff!

I'll bet anybody I can pull the QR on my kite faster than they can unhook,

beer, money, burgers, whatever

and yes there has to be tension on the lines, the more the better

I guess I have to show you the QR I use B 4 you believe that I can activate my QR faster than you can unhook Bryan.

Anyways, even if you could unhook with lets say 500# 's of force then you still have to actually let go/release the kite which is another step in the process which you go from trying to pull as much towards you to letting go.
My QR, the MORE force on it the More it wants to let go and in just one step. I use the cabby QR if N E body has seen it U know what I'm talking about.

N E body wanna hang on suspended bars upside down from a tree and bet on who gets released first?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM

agree to disagree
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Can't Re-member

Hey B, LOL!

my analogy is flawed ,

a better one is can I get unhooked from my CL when the elephant I'm hooked to starts moving

OR

when the race car I'm hooked to starts the tires burning?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
popeye

Hell yeah lets put this myth to rest.

Lets hook two people to my bumper in the sand at the skyway.

I'll pull away (making sure there is no slack first) accelerating to only 20mph without giving any warning. I'll keep the engine revving so you never know when it's coming. I'll even let you keep your hand on the CL before I go.

Lets see who releases and who ends up on their face

Any takers? Loser gets the beer and some band aids.

Too scary? Ok how about this. We put a rope in a tree... you swing back and forth hooked in. Lets see you unhook in under 3 seconds, and then lets see you pull the QR in under 3 seconds. I think the winning method is already obvious.

Heck, I'll do it tonight when I get home and make a video.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Skyway Scott

I will do the car one, feel free to floor it, too. Turn a huge wide turn, where the guy getting pulled ends up in the water after the drag . Sounds like fun. Just don't break anyone's neck if it's obvious they can't get free.

The QR is going to work 80% of the time, unhooking probably won't work but maybe 5% (if you are Billy Parker strong), is my bet. I am talking about huge force scenarios, btw. The kind that you want to end, quickly.
Yeah, I can pull of of my CL in a normal force situation, but not huge force scenarios.
I once got dragged more than 200 yards down NB on a 16m C when a cold front "broke through" to 25 knots. It was blowing about 13, prior. It felt like I was getting pulled behind a 1,000 pound train going solid 15 knots. I wasn't going to stop the train and I couldn't pull my body toward it fast enough to develop any "workable" slack.

This was before QR's were around. I was pulling with all my might on the CL and also pulling on the center lines for over 30 seconds, with the kite at the extreme edge of the window and bouncing off the sand.
I never even so much as budged the CL from my spreader hook.

It was a pretty helpless feeling. I bought a snap shackle the next day. (Better than no QR).
I use to ride with a snap shackle not because I was afraid of coming out of the loop, btw, quite the opposite.
I was afraid of not coming out when it gusted really high, or when my kite did the loop of death.

I finally was able to (gladly) put my kite (way down by the lagoon)in a tree to end the whole deal.
That really sucked double whammy, because that was the day a lot of windsurfers (who only sail NB) saw "kiting" for their first time. They were not impressed, my kite was toast, my ego was hurt, and my body wasn't doing so hot, either.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
popeye

Oh I know, lets do it in the water. We'll just hook the lines of two bars to my trailer hitch ... let them walk way out and hook in ... a full line length. Then I'll NAIL it for 100 feet.

Nobody eats dirt... but only one person will still be 100 feet out We can do it one at a time so they don't collide... or better yet, have them walk out in a Y pattern... they have to get unhooked before the DO collide LOL!!

Wanna try it? We can do it today at the skyway. I'll be there at 6.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM

tom/raul
when did i say QR's have no place in kiting?
i like options.
i'll keep em.
peace
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Skyway Scott

FORUM FIGHT!! Bayflite, let's do it for nastalgia's sake

Damn, I am gonna miss this experiment tonight. I really want to see it too.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 PM

Lets talk about the Hell Fish. That should start the fight up again.