FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Default Wanna get a surfboard this season...

I see a lot of guys moving to surfboards for dwinders and I'm thinking about getting one this year. Any
Suggestions on size or brand.. any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:53 PM

oK, well I did a little research today and found that a surfboard larger the 6'0 would probably be to long and shorter than 5'6 would really be similar to a kiteboard.

Width I'm understanding could be as much as 20" and the wider the better. Also, needs to have lots of rocker....

Anyone have any suggestions with regards to fins or brands?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Default big g call me i have one for you to try

G man give me a call i think you got my digits....813 260 0262 allen
Old 09-19-2009, 07:04 PM

It'd be hard to beat the 6' NSP fish as your first board, especially if you can get it used. Price/utility ratio is really good. The board is quite a bit of fun, also stable, good low end, semi-indestructable. Good first board, imo. Great for our little waves, too, imo. I got one from Suncoast Surf Shop for less than 275 that had a slight blemish on it.

I personally can't imagine spending 700 or more for a new "kite surf board".
I have 3 used boards all for less 600 total.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 PM

I stopped in at Salty Dogs here in Daytona today and looked over their used boards. Man, I was lost, they have alot of used boards and I was definatly overwhelmed.

I'm going back tomorrow to see if I can find something that would work for a first board...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:19 PM

I would demo boards a lot first. Myself, Al, Scott L, Dr. Bruce and a bunch of others all will gladly let you ride our boards to get a feel of what you might like.
My gut feeling is you can't go too wrong with this (or similar) basic approach/shape - http://www.newsurfproject.com/index.php?cccpage=fish60

If we had huge waves, hi winds it'd be different. We are in St. Pete.
That shape or similar will keep you busy here for quite a while.
Even in moderately hi winds, I find myself favoring a slightly larger board here in St. Pete, b/c I am trying to ride the wave, not slash it and run.
The waves are usually so weak I need a larger board.
In St. Augustine on real waves, I am strapped in on a smaller board.
I still am not very good at riding a surf board, but man it's really fun trying. You might like it as well. You might find it really lame.....
Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 PM

I am one who finds it a little boring. I hurt my foot real bad and couldn't get it in a strap. I had a great time on a surfboard because I had no other options. But once I healed, I got bored with it. Not saying it's not fun, but once in awhile you see a nice wake or wave and decide it would be great to jump it, but oops you are on a surf board.

Also they have an incredible amount of drag. It's like riding with the brakes on the whole time. I'd have more fun on a skim board than a surf board. Yes I have tried both. Actually, I had the most fun on a kite board with no fins, and just grip tape on top, no straps, in 2" of water. Sort of like a wake skate. yeah I know right.

Is it fun? Yes, but fun enough? Depends on your personality, everyone is different.

Scott/Bob rides them exclusively these days so his opinion is worth some salt.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 AM

I hear ya Uchuche and agree that a surfboard may not be a replacement for a kitesurfing board however, it would mix it up a bit. I've been riding since 05' and think by now my level of tricks has reached its peak so I'm looking for some alternative rides. Also, I seem to re injure my ankle when I jump so trying more complicated tricks would not be wise. I'm hoping that a surfboard would help improve my riding in waves. I enjoy downwinders and it seems as though riding a surfboard would be a little more enjoyable due to the slower ride or "brakes on " as you mentioned.

What I have learned over the past years is that everyone has their own style of riding and for me, a more stable ride with foot work fits my style better.

I spoke with Al lastnight and Scott a few weeks ago about trying one of their boards so the idea of buying a board this weekend at the local surfshop will need to wait.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 AM

For what it's worth this is what I have found from riding surfboards over the last 2 years.

Don't spend a lot of money on it as no matter what you get. If you ride it long enough at your weight (and mine) you are going to mash in the top of it with your heels.

You can prolong this effect my making sure it is epoxy construcion. A standared glass board will not make it very long.

Don't get something too thick or with soft rails. Having three of them to play with Webber Fat burner 6'-3" strapless, Prisoners of wind 5'6" Race Quad Strapped, and Placebo Surfskate 5'-0" strapless. I find the Placebo is the most fun and safest (non pointed front end).

You can find a real nice knock off of this board in state (Jupiter), for about half the price of the real deal.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I rode Chase's and Sammy's Placebo Surf Skates and thought they were kick a$$ for sure. They are pretty wide. Here in St. Pete, I would err on too wide.
That's actually what I meant when I lean toward "bigger" boards here in St. Pete. Wider (and rocker or lack thereof) make a much bigger diff. than length, is my experience.
You can still jump directionals, btw. I have a TL2 Stretch (strapped) that goes to the moon off of wave faces. You better point that puppy straight downwind if coming down from a big one... litt, btw, or your ankles won't like it.

Cornel has a sweet little Stretch http://www.stretchboards.com/boards/...irectional.php that is insane. I wish I had it. I couldn't believe the low end on this thing for it's size, and how it felt. It is a great board. He got it used pretty cheap.

The variance among directionals is quite obvious. Each one rides so much different than another shape. I assume it's because there are so many variables that go in to each one (rocker line, width, outline, fin placement, # fins, etc). That's why I would try to demo a few first, Gary (like you decided to do).

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 09-20-2009 at 10:19 AM.