FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Thumbs up TBKA at Madeira Beach Middle School

The Curriculum Celebration at Madeira Beach Middle School went really well. It was an event to basically get kids off the couch and doing something outside. There were a few other companies there including a couple surf shops, environmental groups, etc. The people from the wakeboarding school that Adam rides for was telling parents that their kids qualified for a free 15 minutes on the water with instruction every quarter if their kids are on honor roll. Pretty cool. We talked to a lot of kids and parents about our sport and of course our stress on safety, expectations for different age ranges, etc.

Josh Taylor who is an alumnus from MDMS was turning heads of the ladies and all the teachers were shocked at how built he has gotten. I think its important to recognize the fact that there were a bunch of people that had volunteered and that although some stuff came up for others, Josh held his commitment and was there on time with a great attitude. He is an example of what this event was geared towards becoming. He's great role model for younger kids and has a very mature sense of responsibility. Thank you JOSH!!!

Although the wakeboarding boat had some technical difficulties earlier in the day which prevented the demo from taking place, they still came out and talked to kids. With the boat with a tower on the trailer, they drew in a lot of attention. Thank you! Here are a few pics from the event. Doing this event was a great test run for futures events and we thought of a lot of new ideas for next time
Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Skyway Scott

Nice report and pics Amber. Great job Steve and Josh (not joking around).
Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Tom Stock

Thumbs up

Bummer what prevented the demo, waker boarder unavailable? Josh is not the kid he was when he started riding... I am amazed at how far Josh has progressed in the last 2-3 years. And yeah he's packed on some muscle from all that unhooking.

Way to set an example for the younger crowd.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up Awesome!

AWESOME job everyone!
Josh and Amber did a REALLY AWESOME job of fielding questions from all angles about kiting.
Brian and Kyle of Fortes Outboard displayed their beautiful tow boat to the crowd and also donated 2 lesson packages to be awarded by faculty.The kiteboarding lesson package was donated by 2 guys, and winners were announced by the principal this morning.
Other organizations attending were Surfrider Foundation, Nekkton Surf Shop, Green Armada, Suncoast Sierra Club, FFWCC, and the Coast Guard.
The Coasties are stationed up near Sand Key Park,and had a definite interest in kiting. They jokingly said that they could have used their boat
pull us around Wakeboarding, which would have made an awesome
photo opp, but common sense won this time... They will be getting a lesson package courtesy of (anonymous), for their continued service to
the community.
Thanks you guys are INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM

thanks guys.

it was fun, i will be there for the next one as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Skyway Scott

Thumbs up

Nice.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM

We had plenty of talent there, but Wakeboard Brian had his engine overheat 2 minutes into the ride over. He quickly loaded the boat and trailered it over to the school, and did a great job of educating the kids about wakeboarding. His free lessons for honor roll program is simply awesome! Brian has also helped many kiters develop their board skills behind the boat, and has people up and riding the board in 20 minutes or less. His operation is on Lake Seminole.
Kyle is a student at Admiral Farrogut Academy and an excellent wakeboarder. Its a shame that the boat didnt run because he was looking forward to riding for the crowd.
Amber P. is also a certified wakeboard/waterski instructor, not to mention one heck of a photographer!
You guys already know Josh's skills on the water, but we decided that rigging a kite and riding wasn't really worth it, given the conditions and limited demo time.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Tom Stock

Thumbs up

Sweet, I graduated from Admiral Farragut, class of '90.

I thought Matt was going to do a SUP demo? Did he party too much the night before?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

Coast Guard is still searching for the missing SUP'ers, no word yet...
Sounds like Farrogut is pretty awesome, I was stuck 40 miles inland at Armwood High,class of '88, home of the fighting mullets!

"Mullets Everywhere"

Mullets, Mullets, everywhere
On the head of the man with such stylish flair.
He's the man in the crowd that is for all to see,
And bring smiles to not only my friends, but to me.

Mullets, Mullets, everywhere
Long live the essence of the free-growing hair.
All business in the front and all party in the back,
Guys with mullets always get the girl with the best rack.

Mullets, Mullets, for all to see
Why couldn't have god given a mullet to me?

all Mullets ROCK!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Tom Stock

Thumbs up

Well, I went to Boca Ciega first... my . ZERO grade point average landed me in Military School.

But no way I'm getting on one of those SUPs. To extreme... look what it did to Matt. Now he's MIA.

Last edited by Tom Stock; 05-11-2008 at 06:57 AM.