FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 AM

Default pre flight setup

I walk my bar/lines into the wind.
I've noticed most of you do the opposite.
I heard PASA teaches to walk bar/lines downwind of the kite.
Actually I walk into the wind at first then halfway through the lines i start to lay the lines more perpendicular to the wind in sort of a launch position.
I ask cuz this accident in russia
http://kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic...r=asc&start=10
shows that you can NOT be too carefull.
Also, turning your back to kites/kiters could be deadly.
God help us if this happens to a bystander.
RIP
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Skyway Scott

I do the same as you, Bayflite, mainly for the reason that the wind is gonna blow my lines downwind
away from me and the bar and lines. Walking downwind and having my lines upwind of me, seems like it gives the lines the ability to get blown slack, form knots, and try to tangle around me, especially in 25 knots or more.
I actually walk my lines out first though, then pump up my kite. That gives my kite that much less time to blow away.
I then attach the two outside lines, walk back to my bar and re-walk out my lines to make sure they are okay before hooking up the fronts.
Don't you also have to remember to twist the bar upside down (and back again) if you rig the "other" way?
I would forget once in a hundred times to do the flip. Yikes on that 100th time
I also don't like to turn my back to a "live" kite if I am in any way attached to it, fiddling with lines etc.
Kites seem more friendly these days, but I swear when I first started they were always looking for a chance to whack me.
I simply won't give them the satisfaction.
I will most likely get killed kiting (or driving my car), still the same.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I think the main factors that contributed to the accident on the Black Sea were the very strong gusty winds and the fact the kiter was running his lines out untangling them while the lines were attached to the kite.

There is a tendency to have to pull the lines hard enough to shift the kite in this approach. This can cause accidental launch even in light winds.

An approach that works on our sand beaches in SE Florida for FLAT kites includes:

1. Inflate the kite and anchor it well with sand, leading edge pointing into the wind.

2. Attach the left kite lines to the left board foot strap and the right to the right. I place the board between the kite wing tips and perpendicular to the leading edge.

3. I run the lines out perpendicular to the wind or slightly upwind of the kite ending at a point close to where I will stand to launch.

4. When you are done all four lines are laying nicely parallel to one another, free of twists and ready to attach to the kite.

5. Attach the lines with your launching assistant standing by to take the kite and go to your bar to launch without delay.

I like this approach because you can pull fairly hard to undo twists using the board as a line anchor, may need to bury it a bit in sand. You don't have to deal with the kite until you are ready.

Regarding bystander involvement, excellent point but otherwise NO COMMENT. What you can imagine happening may not be far off what is possible. MAKE SURE your kite is very well anchored and will not shift. If you are out in high wind, don't leave it unattended by yourself or a helper. If you have to leave it on the sand for more than a few minutes in lighter winds take the lines off of one end of the kite, better all of them.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Tom Stock

How do you untwist lines which are attached to your board? You must use a line buddy or a caribiner to keep your lines in order when you pack up.

I lay my lines out down wind only untwisting the two outside lines, then I attach the kite, but only one side. This way when I walk across the lines to do the other side there is no way the kite can fly... (versus if I had done the front lines first).

Then I do the other side, staying outside the lines the whole time... after that I never, ever, walk through my lines and I avoid walking over them on the beach as much as possible. One good trip on the lines while not paying attention may launch the kite. This protocol is nothing new.. it goes for fishing, climbing, towing, and any other situation where a line is or could be potentially under load... basically stay clear of it and never step over it.

Unfortunately there are usually lines all over the place... because most people don't pack up the bar when they land the kite. To me thats an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
How do you untwist lines which are attached to your board? Y
No, do it on my own. It is pretty easy. Just figure 8 the lines on to the bar after a session.

I stretch the lines out using the board as a counter weight. Sometimes, rarely, they are completely untangled at this point. Usually though I rotate the bar untangling as much as will untangle. Then I put the bar down on the sand and walk towards the board pulling the lines apart. Usually I can get right up to the board and untie one set of lines, pull them through the last tangle and all done. You can look down the lines all parallel and separated, you work out spins in the individual lines as well in the process.

Been doing it this way for many years. Works well. I'll try to shoot a video of it and put it up. There are many ways of setting up, this is just one more. On the other hand you'll be hard pressed to get tangled and lofted by your lines or miss attach them using this approach.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-20-2007, 02:27 PM

i dont like my lines upwind of my kite espec. with a flat kite.. the front bridals are typically longer than back ones which means that there will be a lot of slack lines in front of the kite, which means more prone to bridle wraps or knots in the lines.. had both happen.. and once was enough.

i inflate kite... set into wind.. walk lines out behind the kite.. if its windy i will set something on top of the ends of the lines so they dont shift.. bury the end in sand works great..

i only walk out my outside lines.. never do the center.. if there are twists i straighten those out on the water.. the Best bar swivel is CRAP so after a few backrolls its twisted anyways.. no point in spending the time untangling on the beach..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 AM

rick,
thanks 4 the tip.
the old kites were def. less prone 2 bad launches.(xcept jo jo's)
nowadayz you have to be aware of 5th lines, bridles, pulleys, ect.
can't imagine the horrible seen his fellow kiters had 2 witness.
btw
i didn't read that he got tangled in the lines and caused the kite 2 launch.
i imagined the kite not being weighed down enouph.
rick, i think i know what your saying by "NO COMMENT".
peace
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You're welcome and thanks for bringing this up. In higher winds I don't expect the kite to stay buried as it often digs out. Learned this in Maui eight years ago with a small two line kite in winds gusting 20 to 45 mph. Solo launching wasn't feasible for this reason as the kite could take off prematurely at anytime. So, made a rule of thumb about only doing assisted launches in high wind, with someone who knows what they are doing.

Yes, it is a touchy subject. When it comes to protecting bystanders from runaway and out of control kites, it is hard to do too much or exercise too much care. Best to sand the kite regardless of current winds as they can change, someone can cause an accidental launch, etc.. No one needs that kind of grief and our sport certainly will fare better without it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi