FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-15-2006, 05:28 PM
tomstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR
yeah wise guy, how 'bout when it breaks in the middle, do you ride 'em half the original length minus a foot??? :shock:

At least now you have two sets of half length line sets :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice try, BigR! :lol: My lines always broke just below the knot on the kite end. I think it's because they collect the most sand from launching (which grinds away at them internally).
Old 12-15-2006, 06:56 PM

Do you guys buy a spool and roll your own, or do you get them made up?

Bob
Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 AM

Good question. I'm thinking it would be much cheaper to just buy a spool of the stuff since you're buying bulk.

Bryan/Tom--
Thanks for the info, I guess what it boils down to is who/what you know. So most people avoid retail by buying used or clearanced gear. Well, now I just have to keep an eye out for another 16m Waroo...hopefully I can find it for under $400 like you tom! Time will tell. I just know as of this point, I am missing too many sessions due to my lack of gear.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:03 AM

ya noob.. you have to weigh that into consideration..

i bought my 12 and 9 kites brand new.. full retail.. bought my 16 new but with a good discount and got the 14 used for dirt cheap.

i had a number of sessions where i could have more fun if i had the 14 or 16 earlier this past spring.. but i cant complain too much. the 12 got me by when i needed it ..

if you take care of your gear it can last for many seasons.. tho as you get better you will want higher quality stuff.. so that will come into play soon.

its not a cheap sport.. but you can take advantage of some great cheap C kites these days that is for certain!!

i know that if i was in a bind financially i could prob pick up 4 or 5 quality used C kites for the price of brand new 16m waroo.. you might have to re-rig more often than if you were on a SLE but thats a small price to pay i think..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 12-16-2006, 11:58 AM
tomstock

It's true. I just sold off THREE C kites (15M, 18M, and 21M) for a grand total of $450. But, I replaced them all with one 16M Waroo.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Skyway Scott

Qline is good stuff. I still have two spools of it.

It's not cheap by the spool, necessarily. In addition, you need to buy 2 spools of Qline, unless you want to pay alot and make 1.5 line sets. If you get 2 spools you can make 3 line sets. I have an orange and a yellow spool. That way, I make the outside lines orange and inside yellow.
Ozone and Flexi make stuff that is even stronger (800 pounds for Ozone) and their lines sets are color coded.

In the long run, it might just be easier to get the Ozone or Flexifoil line sets and stay away from the spool idea. Call around for prices.

All line has some give (very little for Qline and above mentioned) while under load, but some lines literally change in length for good after a session and don't return. To me give and permanent stretch are two different issues.

I recently had to put new lines on a stock bar with lines after only one use because one of the lines stretched (for good) 2 whole inches. I threw the other 3 lines in the trash (in a container for environmental reasons).
It's kind of hard to believe that this can still happen, but some line is obviously better than others.

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=...r=asc&start=15
Old 12-16-2006, 10:21 PM

Yeah I see what you're saying. I'm torn between the two types of kites though. I have a c-kite, but, a guy down at east beach told me the best advise I can give you is buy a bow kite. So, I'm not really sure what to do. I feel that since I'm just coming in, I should come in with updated gear. My budget can't really handle buying bow kites though. So what does a guy like me do in this situation? Save for a bow kite that can cover the wind range of 2-3 c-kites?? Or buy a bunch of c-kites and cover the wind spectrum?? Decisions...decisions.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:45 AM
tomstock

Buy a used 14m-16m waroo for around $400 and one small C kite, or buy a couple of C kites. Do not under any circumstances pay more than $200 for a complete C kite with bar and lines. I woulld opt for one 14m-16m waroo over 3 C kites. Watch the ikitesurf classifieds and ebay.

Here's what I sold my kites for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5659&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3908&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2174&rd=1&rd=1
Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 AM

That's funny, I just sold my 2003 11M GTO for $134 plus $35 shipping on Ebay. This is a 4 A YEAR OLD KITE!!! You are selling Best kites that you paid $300 for new 2 or 3 years ago Tom. Yeah you CAN find deals out there noob but beware of the condition, try and buy from a local (not me, mine are mostly all sold and the remaining ones sound like they are out of budget for you) but that way you can at least take a look at them. Also, look for people who are getting out of the sport because a lot of times they are much more willing to bargain just to get rid of all the gear just sitting in their garage. Finally, my opinion is that when buying a used kite, you may want to go with a little bit stronger made kite. The Best kites of today are great but the old ones were definitely pretty thin and stretched out MUCH easier than say a Cabrinha, Flexifoil or Slingshot. You can still find good deals on those brand kites, you just have to look a little harder...

I made that mistake with my car. I bought a KIA and now I'm paying for it. I have a part that is on backorder for 2 months and am now having to probably buy a new car just so I have a vehicle to drive. Hopefully this time I'll buy a Toyota or Honda...you get what you pay for.

As far as learning on a C kite, it will make you better in the long run Noob. If you can ride a C kite, you can ride a bow or a hybrid kite with ease. This isn't necessarily true vice-versa. Flat kite riders have to learn all over when they start dealing with the grunt of a C kite, especially at the kites upper end. Learning to depower by edging the power out of the kite is important in my opinion and is not being learned by today's newbies on flat kites. You may even find that you prefer C kites (I do) once you try a bow. Just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 AM

In the long run a new rider will make much faster progress on a bow. There are only so many opportunities to ride in a given year. There is no sense saving $100 on a buying a used SS Fuel over a year old Waroo. If you’re tough enough you’ll learn eventually on the C-kite, but it will likely take over a year. On a bow if you put your mind to it three months! Once you have some skills you could migrate backwards to a C if you need the explosive jerk you out of your booties uncontrollable power. I bet you’ll stay with the bows. There is nothing wrong with Best quality it is just bull that haters throw to explain the ridiculous prices they paid for over priced hype.

Bob
With flame suit on!