FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 AM

yeah I'll keep that site in mind. I threw one of the kite forums mentioned from chicago in my fav's, they had quite a bit for sale. I noticed bryan said they went "in". So I assumed it was some local shop or something.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Skyway Scott

I think that meant Dan's wife "went in" on the money :wink:
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM

good point, i didn't think about that. GEEZ.....IDIOT!! I quit.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Skyway Scott

You're no idiot. I am outta here too!!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:59 AM

Noob..

i bought 4 boards :lol:

Dan's wife is splitting the cost of Dan's boards (xmas gift we got for him)

everyone in the area knows that Dan and I have been riding homemade plywood boards for over a year and a half. We have spent a total of about 200$ max on 6 to 8 boards in that time for plywood and supplies and used footpads and stuff..

We got by on the CHEAP.

performance of a ply board is fine for riding in flat/slight chop..etc... they are fine for learning and fine for cruising..

its to the point now where we both need some performance rides..

we spent very little $$$ on kites for our first year and just recently went out and bought 4 waroos to cover both of us and the various wind ranges..

works out that he and i are a size apart so if i am on one kite, he is on one larger, etc... same for boards..

I bought my new boards from Dimitri and he gave me a good deal on the two.. I am sure he will do the same for anyone else that calls him.. you can find his personal info on kiteforum.com.. he is active on those boards... just PM him and he will reply..

This was a long process for me to lay down the $$$.. ask Scott how many times I talked his ear off trying to get all the info i could on various boards, etc etc etc..

So I finally made the decision and hopefully these boards are all that and the bag of chips I expect them to be!

boo ya!

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 PM
tomstock

Noob, I buy all of my stuff used or on sale... except for my FIRST kite, I have never since spent more than $400 on a kite (including my new 16m waroo). I've never spent more than $350 on a board... and that was new.

The trick is to be patient and seek out a good deal, or make friends with someone who can get you stuff at cost or well below retail.

Failing that, the next best solution is wait for sales on extreme kites since they buy in bulk and sell a ton of gear, they can give gear away at really good prices when they need to make space for new gear. Heck I bet those guys will even let you haggle with them.

I bought a new aaron hadlow board from there last year... it was an $800 board and I got it for $329 (or something rediculous like that). Apparently they bought 20 of them at a time or something.

The best tip I can give you is to use Q-Line for your next set of lines. It will outlast standard lines by about 3-4 years. When they break, you just cut them a foot shorter and re-tie the loops.

Standard line sucks eggs. It stretches, blows itself into knots in the wind, catches on every little twig, wears and fades quickly, breaks easily, and untangling it can take an hour if it's in a ball, or especially if you get a small knot in the middle of a line. I will also remove fingers and toes easily if you get one tangled in it when the kite relaunches. Q-line is stiff and doesnt wrap easily in tight loops so it's less likely to wrap around a toe. I've broken 3 sets of standard lines in the past 2 years but have yet to break a q-line.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
The best tip I can give you is to use Q-Line for your next set of lines. It will outlast standard lines by about 3-4 years. When they break, you just cut them a foot shorter and re-tie the loops.

yeah wise guy, how 'bout when it breaks in the middle, do you ride 'em half the original length minus a foot??? :shock:

At least now you have two sets of half length line sets :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 PM
E-Bone

What does the Q in Q-line stand for?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Can't Re-member

dunno, first time I used the stuff was 10 years ago , I got it from Jeff Howard ( national kite buggy champ ) who also sold me my first kite and also sold me my first spool of 500' q-line. the kite was a quad foil or quadrifoil ( four line ) so I assume it means quadrifoil line??? :? :? :?

Obviously it was used exclusively by land traction kiters back then and the company's name also just happened to be quadrifoil
Old 12-15-2006, 04:58 PM

With a company name that long I'd just call it Q line too!!!