FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There was no error in any of the pricing posted. The guy said about a month ago, here is "some pricing" not MSRP, the lowest, highest or any other qualification for all the models listed. In fact even higher pricing than he quoted can be found on the Net ($2148. + bar on kiteroam) and a lot lower too (thankfully!). Be my guest if you want to develop a table of high, low and mean pricing and weighted average for all those models for a given date as it will change with time. I have way too many projects underway right now to deal with it myself.

Here's a fact I don't think most people will argue with, kites cost more than they used to. In some cases a lot more.

Here's another one, not so long ago, you could fly any inflatable kite you wanted to. That is as long as it was a Wipika. Not an Airblast or Wipika Classic but just plain old Wipika. There were no other inflatable kites, it was a Model T of sorts. We don't have that problem anymore thankfully, there's lots of selection out there with new ones each model year. Even better the vast majority don't fly anywhere close to what the old Wipikas delivered, a real good thing.

So, what not chill out a bit, the Holidays are on after all, think about kiting and what you would like to do on your next riding session?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-09-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Yup Scott. Same ole crap. People finding any way possible to hate on Cabrinha, people that sell em, and folks that love em.

Been dealing with it on this forum since I joined over 5 years ago.

Thank God for Facebook, cuz over there I can choose who I do or don't want to listen to. Fn brilliant.

Lots of Apple haters out there too!!! Steve Jobs is the man!!!

Thanks again everyone for coming to the event, racing your heart out, raising some money, and coming together as one!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 AM

The pricing issue is my opinion. This is a forum so I expresed my opinion just as did everyone else here. I supported my opinion with a reference as you later did. Nowhere in my post did I hate on any brand or say anything negative about a brand. Without the avg., high, low, etc. evaluation, I still dont agree with the pricing. I agree, I dont really want to do that evaluation either.

The list of prices made it seem the Taboo was one of the highest priced kites in the category. I felt it wasn't fair to place the Taboo in such a high priced categroy just as you felt it was unfair for another poster to place the Cab in another category.

Point is, we can go on til were blue in the face. I just wanted to be clear what my posts were about.

I believe with the weather out their now I have already chilled. I have already thought about my next riding session.....to buy a thicker wetsuit.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 AM

well judging by the turnout (37 kites) out of 77 entry fee's, the interest in this race is waning a bit...i wonder why?
i attended, competed or volunteered in the races in the past untill this one was tried in the spring...that is when i said enough.
the disregard for local regulations by kent steve and chris was unbelievable to me.
chris is a super nice guy and it sux 2 loose a friend over this but if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.
i don't know if the no wake zones were observed this time.
i don't know if proper permits and insurance was obtained this time.
as for kent and steve...i am a free market guy and totally understand...a business MUST grow or fail.
rick, thank you for this forum.
peace
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM

If your speaking of the past races like the one that started at Honeymoon years ago, Tampa Bay Kite Masters for example. I was there.

I dont recall any discussion of buoys then.
I would bet there were no permits or insurance.
The race start was a nightmare with folks getting trapped at Caladesi Island.
Everyone started on the beach with even great riders getting tangled with each other. Brian Eagle for example.
There was zero boat or ski support.

If that's a race your comparing this too, then I say hypocrite.

This race had zero issues at the start. Everyone in water with time to spare.
Ski support provided the entire way.
Trolley support the entire way.
And alot of money raised to a good cause.
Everyone respected the swim areas, no wake zones, no anchor zones, or whatever you want to define them zones.

You have your agenda Brian. I can respect that but I don't have to agree.

As far as your count, you are also off. Almost 50 kites were ready to rock at 10am. Unfortunately some folks either gave up on the wind or had other obligations. Not to mention we made the call very last minute.

For you to assume that a turnout to anything is a reflection of anything is like concluding if a movie makes alot of money it must be a good movie.

I busted my ass to make this happen and I am proud to be a part of the stoke of kiteboarding.

One thing I can't stand in this world is a hypocrite. If you want to piss on a charity fundraiser then go ahead.

I don't know how you are as a kiter, but you are getting pretty good at publicly embarrising yourself.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM

My favorite quote from a kite shop when I first started kiting in 2004 and I was looking for gear..

"If you are going to buy a parachute would you buy the $1000 parachute or the $2000 parachute? Same goes for kites. Your life is on the end of those lines. "

Brilliant marketing. A little fear goes a long way, but I knew better fortunately.

Another good sales tactic is to call anyone who doesn't drink the brand cool-aid a "hater". I mean damn, nobody wants to be a hater!!

F'ing Brilliant!!

Sales people are f'ing brilliant. But, they have to be to earn a living.

Surprised they don't carry around those little iPhone credit card swipers on the beach at these races. Well, give it time!

No hate, just marketing awareness. I'll fly any brand of kite as long as the performance and price are within my requirements at the time.

Last edited by uchuche; 12-10-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM

In celebration of the race, I was chilling with my woman and I decided to put the merlot away, and instead opened aromatic, full bodied.... CAB.

And I recommend it to all my brothas

Lata Bitches
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Can't Re-member

uHmmm yeah........ I'm having fun this season........
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM

First off, I don't "hate" Cabrinha. I have zero feelings toward any brand for brand's sake. I like a particular kite/product because it is good. I have always had mixed quivers. Which brand it is is not important.
I just get frustrated when people fracture themselves into "this" or "that" camp and remain loyal to it, no matter what. Be it foil riders/LE riders, powerboaters/blowboaters, Dems/Repubs, the list is infinitely long. From my perspective, the people pushing this mindset are those that benefit from it (sellers).
I should realize complaining about brand vs. brand mindsets is pointless. Just because I wish people were less obsessed with brands doesn't mean it will be so. There will always be people who get a sense of identity from a brand. It's moderately over the top with some people. I see it expressing itself very strongly with iPhones vs. Droids and other stuff. I have an iMac but will soon be getting a Droid. So, fanboy of anything I am not.
I just view it all as silly. Not hating, more like scratching my head and wishing it would just go away.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 6.jpg (40.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 PM

I agree Scott. It's about each kite and it's performance.
I luv SS Fuels but they've had some flops (ie.the Link).
Btw. I rode the new 2011 Liquid Force Envy the other day. Probably the best kite I've flown in the last 11 years. I'm not a LF guy but that kite rocks!
Everyone likes different gear. Demo demo demo and ride what makes you better