FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > Safer and Sustainable Kiting > SAFETY, WEATHER & LAUNCH SELECTION, SUSTAINABLE KITEBOARDING, FAQ'S > Chill Z0ne
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Exec summary

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

THE FACTS:

1: It has been shown scientifically that banning Francisco and Ken from planet earth will dramatically reduce accidents at Hobie.

2: Experience dictates that the guided student at Hobie is 10 times more likely to have a life threatening injury than the other 30 un-attended Kooks attempting to fly a kite they bought the day before from best.com, caipirinha, e-bay, craigslist or the local salvation army.... and looked up kiteboarding in wikipedia...
The reason is obvious: They don't have a puerto-rican yelling in spanglish behind them...they can therefore concentrate better....

3: There is no need for a School Figure in Hobie. It is obviously better that inexperienced riders resolve any doubts themselves. This will lead to the formation of Kook focus groups on the day of a westerly Squall. That will give the kook the necessary independence to be a succesful kiter and a better person overall....not to mention, radically improve his life expectancy.

4: Kooks in Miami know better than to ride in Hobie beach when the conditions exceed their capacity. It is only Francisco who will force the kook into these situations in clear violation of the treaty of Helsinky.

5: It is understood by the vast majority of kooks that the heavy foot of justice will stomp on them if they attempt to transmit their meager knowledge of the sport to a visiting cousin, their neighbour or a begging friend at Hobie beach.

6: Francisco is the cause for Global warming.

7: A meeting of Miami's kiting All-Stars in hooters will set the ground rules for a safe riding at Hobie and this will immediately be absorbed by osmosis by the kiting community, whose majority are well informed, responsible and experienced riders like them.

Am I in the ball-park?....

Hobie has been, is and will be a major accident waiting to happen but it is in no way Skybanditz's fault... I definately DO NOT condone Francisco's attitude in this thread. It is not proffessional and it definitely doesn't help him in the popularity polls.... However, it helped reveal the true source of the problem. You see, Miami doesn't have "THE LOCALS" it used to.... those days are gone.... now, the good and experinced riders are fragmented into small groups, each of them talking smack about the other... meanwhile, Camilo, Christoph, Francisco, Paul, Miguel, Juan, Kent, Shrogen...etc... Have mantained the Kook factory open....
The "LOCALS" influence on a newbe to any extreme sport is far more than that of a school... It is example, guidance and police at the same time... there are many examples of this all over the country.... However, "Locals" in Miami are scattered, outnumbered and simply indiferent..... this means no respect and no authority... this leads to Kooks asking their bud for a hot-launch on a 16m on 25knt wind after being advised by a local not to....

No, wait... I changed my mind... Franciiiiiscooooo!: you BASTARD!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Default my name is....

To Rick:

Funny that you ask for my ID after I post, with a rather neutral position in the matter, and you leave gomogli unidentified after 3 personal posts against the grease-monkey...
Look, I am friends with Francisco and Ken AND with gomogli too...AND with Christoph... I'm friens with Juan, Camilo, Miguel...etc, etc... I have managed to keep out of their rivalries and appreciate each and every-one of them for what we have in common...Kiteboarding remember?..... I want to keep it this way....
but I decided to post due to the importance of this recurrent but mis-directed subject....(Accidents at Hobie... NOT Francisco's licence from the department of agriculture)
I've been around since Alex's accident... I'm a close friend of Claudio... I have seen what the risks of the sport are. They are inherent to the sport and not caused by an individual.
The only way to reduce this risk is with experienced authority through unity of the LOCALS... sadly we are moving in the opposite direction...

But hey, do what you have to do.

To Linh:
That is the debate:
Is some instruction better than no instruction at all?... The kook will try to go out with or WITHOUT instruction when the wind is right (or not)... that is a fact...I did it, you did it...everybody did it at some point... and at hobie not even gomogli can stop them alone.... If the solution is to have hobie as a experienced rider only beach, we will have to have a big local group enforcing it... that is the bottom line...