FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 PM

Default ski rixen

I went to ski rixen a little while ago thinking it would be a good jump start to learning to kiteboard. Well that thing almost pulled my arms out. I was on a kneeboard, becuase they made me use that. I'm not sure if my arms were just not strong enough or just bad form or what, but I could not get around the first turn. It is a 90 degree angle. Is the pull of the kite as strong as the cable whipping you around like that? It seems it would be more fluid and you have a harness to help out a bit.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: ski rixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrik1
I went to ski rixen a little while ago thinking it would be a good jump start to learning to kiteboard. Well that thing almost pulled my arms out. I was on a kneeboard, becuase they made me use that. I'm not sure if my arms were just not strong enough or just bad form or what, but I could not get around the first turn. It is a 90 degree angle. Is the pull of the kite as strong as the cable whipping you around like that? It seems it would be more fluid and you have a harness to help out a bit.

The cable park is a good training ground for developing board skills. I think Andy Hurdman, a pro kiteboarder gives lessons to kiters there (561-the-kite). The park will surprise you at first, you almost stop as the cable makes a 90 degree turn and speeds up to 20 mph plus in seconds. You also need to pass between those 6 ft. wide buoys to have a better shot at making the turn. Finally you need to learn how much, when and where to lean to deal with the changing tow line tension. Wait till you try it on a kiteboard or wakeboard, the kneeboard takes it a bit easier on you. Still, it isn't that hard to do, you just need some input on the technique. Also, properly done, it won't pull your arms out of their sockets.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-13-2006, 12:46 PM

I found when I first went to the cable park, I also had a hard time getting around the turns.. for me it was the forth turn in Orlando cable park.. but when learning to ride goofie foot I did bust down on the first and 2nd turns which makes for a Really long walk back on the beginner side. I found the further you edge to the outside of the turn it doesnt ""jerk"" you has hard,,, but yea if you let it slack those lines and then when it catches up it will pull your feet right out of the board and face plant you.... getting someone to help you the first time will really help out after that you will find you learn VERY fast...
Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 PM

Rick is that Andy's number?

thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, saw Andy tonight at Delray too going off on a 9 m kite. It is going to be hard to go back to normal wind conditions after the last four days.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM

ok thanks. Ya I was out there too I though that was him but I wasn't sure. I'm guessin that was Shannon out there with him. It was awesome to watch them out there.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrik1
ok thanks. Ya I was out there too I though that was him but I wasn't sure. I'm guessin that was Shannon out there with him. It was awesome to watch them out there.
Yes, a bunch of the Best guys were out and tearing it up in all that great wind and waves. Everyone seemed to having a fine time shredding in the pumped up conditions.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi