FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Default How big is big???

Flysurfer just announced 21M Flysurfer Speed 3 Deluxe.

Thoughts????

Can't imagine the power that thing has and the pricetag!!!

Lots of guys are diggin their 19M kites, so who is gonna get a 21M????

Are any of you guys still stoked about flying the 19M, or is it getting boring?

That's my thing, I am afraid I would really like it, but after a season kinda get bored with it.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Not Bored. Having lots of fun. Was on the east coast end of last week riding while all the other watched. Nice small waves coming in and enough power to ride out thru them and catch them on the way in.

It's only gonna be what you make of it. If you want to be bored you can do that too. Some how I have managed to entertain myself with them. No 21 for me sorry.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM

19M has been great. It has increased my riding time by a large margin especially this summer. For example, I was the only one at Honeymoon yesterday riding for 3 hours. It was 12 knots or so. I can have loads of fun in 10 or more knots with the 19. Keep in mind I weigh 195 and like to be powered up. I think the 21M is great for the larger guys. No buyers remorse from me. In fact, I recently bought the 12M and have used it in 14 knots to the upper 20's - that kite is unreal. If it wasnt for the 19 I would not have gained the confidence to buy the 12M. Anyone that has ridden the 12 is extremely impressed, especially coming from the bow kites.

Tony
Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM

I have been off and on for sometime now about investing in a Speed 19 meter or now the 21 meter. I do believe they are really great lightwind kites.

The problem is every blue moon when I run into one of these kites the bridal and line setup just freaks me out a bit and I decide against it....... until I havent kited for awhile due to light winds then I start the process all over again.

What is this monster really gonna do when it drops in light winds? In small coastal swell in light winds? Maybe some of the current riders can explain a bit.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 AM

First footage of new 21m speed3.

http://vimeo.com/13935335
Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Once you own the kite, the bridles are very easy to deal with. Kite is real quick to set up as long as you packed it down correctly. As far as relauch, only had a couple of times where it has ended up in the water. Fortunately I was in a shallow area and it was easy. I do think with the right technique they are relatively easy to relaunch (especially windier conditions) - time will tell. I try not to ride in less than 10 knots and if it looks like it will drop quick I will stay close to shore just in case. In deep water, I wear a life jacket so I am not concerned that much - worst case, swim. I think the benefits of the kites far exceed any drawbacks. You just need to spend some time on it to understand what I mean. Completely different feel when you are in the air, etc. You are welcome to give mine a try if you are around when I am out. PM me or e-mail at lisotta_tony@emc.com.

Tony
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 PM

My only bad experience with a Flysurfer was at Howard Park. Winds in the lower teens with plenty of power on the 19.

I went to ride blind and when I came back around to my heelside edge, the quick release popped and I had a huge mess on my hands.

My guess is that with the riding position I was in, it lodged the quick release just enough to allow it to pop.

The kite did all kinds of weird stuff and eventually became a tangled mess in the water.

The good news, after walking the kite to shore, it only took about 10 minutes to get everything back to normal with the kite back in the air.

The bridles are colored and are fairly easy to figure out as you have leading edge and trailing edge bridles just like on any SLE. It seems like a lot going on, but it really isn't.

There is no question these kites bring something different to the table in a market that is saturated with alot of the same types of designs out there.

I would like to check out the PL kites just to see what they are all about.

I think with anything out there, once you get some time on it, it really isn't that complicated.

Even after all these years, I still like being powered on a big kite with a small board in lighter winds. Never really have enjoyed being on the small kite big board combo.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 PM

I have been riding a lot on the flysurfer deluxe 19M and it is the best kite for light air in my opinion when the winds are not enough for the inflatable kites. My buddy just ordered the 21 M deluxe and I am excited to see what the differences from the new kites and the old and to see if the 2 extra meters make a difference.

MikeHallKites