FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-01-2004, 07:51 PM

Default First cold front

After a couple of windless weeks in Panama City Beach, a cold front is on the way and has started pulling wind off the Gulf. Today was ESE 14-18 with four foot waves. Great downwind day here. There is wind for the next four days here with onshore conditions and going offshore on Thursday and Friday.
I hear that Slingshot has a new lightwind kite in the works that will blow everything else away,,,,show me! Most kite companies build the big beast last and put out the smaller kites first ...too bad...there is a huge market for light air kites in NW Florida....someone is paying attention...looks like it is Slingshot that wants our money.
This weekend we will finally drop into the 70's...with daylight saving's time
(what a joke) it gets dark here at five p.m. so ride time is limited unless there is a full moon.
www.rushkiteboarding.com
Old 11-01-2004, 07:51 PM

Default First cold front

After a couple of windless weeks in Panama City Beach, a cold front is on the way and has started pulling wind off the Gulf. Today was ESE 14-18 with four foot waves. Great downwind day here. There is wind for the next four days here with onshore conditions and going offshore on Thursday and Friday.
I hear that Slingshot has a new lightwind kite in the works that will blow everything else away,,,,show me! Most kite companies build the big beast last and put out the smaller kites first ...too bad...there is a huge market for light air kites in NW Florida....someone is paying attention...looks like it is Slingshot that wants our money.
This weekend we will finally drop into the 70's...with daylight saving's time
(what a joke) it gets dark here at five p.m. so ride time is limited unless there is a full moon.
www.rushkiteboarding.com
Old 12-12-2004, 09:06 PM

The right kite for NW FL?

I feel as if I have my own private kitesurfing spot. I'm usually the only one out cruizing, or surfing waves. It's great! No crowds or showboaters to get in the way.

My secret? Flysurfer foils. No I'm not a dealer, wish I was!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:06 PM

I feel as if I have my own private kitesurfing spot. I'm usually the only one out cruizing, or surfing waves. It's great! No crowds or showboaters to get in the way.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix

Hey Dix,

I went through about 8 foils, years ago. The only ones that I ultimately liked were the land versions with open intakes without valves. You couldn't drop them for more than a second or two on the water but they were fun to fly for kitesurfing. The early water foils were a bit funky, to say the least!

I imagine that they have the valving down very well these days. What other performance attributes do you like with todays foils?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix

Hey Dix,

I went through about 8 foils, years ago. The only ones that I ultimately liked were the land versions with open intakes without valves. You couldn't drop them for more than a second or two on the water but they were fun to fly for kitesurfing. The early water foils were a bit funky, to say the least!

I imagine that they have the valving down very well these days. What other performance attributes do you like with todays foils?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-12-2004, 10:17 PM

Default foils

It seems the foils and blimps are like IBM's and MAC's.....whatever you start on you stay on. A rider's weight and if they have a big board for light air determines if they are on the water in light air or not also.
I would like to at least try a giant foil sometime, to at least be able to make an honest comparison.
As far as crowds and showboaters go, Panama City beach has no such problems, as there are only a handful of kiteboarders here and there are so many launches. Most of us have a big kite in our quiver, so we are out in 10 knots crusiing as well on our inflatable kites. 2005 has a bunch of large kites in store for us.....
Old 12-12-2004, 10:17 PM

Default foils

It seems the foils and blimps are like IBM's and MAC's.....whatever you start on you stay on. A rider's weight and if they have a big board for light air determines if they are on the water in light air or not also.
I would like to at least try a giant foil sometime, to at least be able to make an honest comparison.
As far as crowds and showboaters go, Panama City beach has no such problems, as there are only a handful of kiteboarders here and there are so many launches. Most of us have a big kite in our quiver, so we are out in 10 knots crusiing as well on our inflatable kites. 2005 has a bunch of large kites in store for us.....
Old 12-13-2004, 12:45 AM

Foils have taken a leap in the last 3 years.

The 1999 Concept Air New Wave 9.0, valves were already good, and reverse relaunching even in waves was less than 5 seconds, but the lack of power control was very punishing. Basically a 2 liner with a third line for brake adjusting and reverse launch.
Needed 15mph to stay upwind on a BIG directional board. 20mph on a 183 TT

2003 FS 15.5m Psycho 1 turns as fast as the New Wave 9.0 and keeps a 220lb rider going on a 143 in 10mph, then ranges up past 20mph with all that 4:1 depower on tap when you pull the bar. Very relaxed upwind cruising with minimum edging effort, ideal for old people like me.
Turning speed is the same as the old Naish AR 15.5, but LOTS more power and range. Different flying style to get used to. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting how some LEIs are going flatter with more projected area, and FS foils are getting more curved with less projected area, for example the 2004 FS Voodoo/Spirit 14m power and handling feels is very similar to a 2004 14m LEI. Both designs moving in the same direction?

Seen a Contra 19.5 doing really well in our lite conditions. I'm sure the big 2005 LEIs will be excellent.

I'd really like to check out Panama City, I promise to stay way upwind out of everyone's way.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:45 AM

Foils have taken a leap in the last 3 years.

The 1999 Concept Air New Wave 9.0, valves were already good, and reverse relaunching even in waves was less than 5 seconds, but the lack of power control was very punishing. Basically a 2 liner with a third line for brake adjusting and reverse launch.
Needed 15mph to stay upwind on a BIG directional board. 20mph on a 183 TT

2003 FS 15.5m Psycho 1 turns as fast as the New Wave 9.0 and keeps a 220lb rider going on a 143 in 10mph, then ranges up past 20mph with all that 4:1 depower on tap when you pull the bar. Very relaxed upwind cruising with minimum edging effort, ideal for old people like me.
Turning speed is the same as the old Naish AR 15.5, but LOTS more power and range. Different flying style to get used to. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting how some LEIs are going flatter with more projected area, and FS foils are getting more curved with less projected area, for example the 2004 FS Voodoo/Spirit 14m power and handling feels is very similar to a 2004 14m LEI. Both designs moving in the same direction?

Seen a Contra 19.5 doing really well in our lite conditions. I'm sure the big 2005 LEIs will be excellent.

I'd really like to check out Panama City, I promise to stay way upwind out of everyone's way.