FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Lessons From The Hard Side
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post
Any comments on #2? I was curious to get the high level overview of how one re-launches their kite while in the water.
Depending on the design of the kite, each may be different. I fly bow kites (Cabrina Switchblade 2) and it's easy... I just pull lightly on one of the outside lines, the kite moves to the edge of the wind window, and up she goes!

I flew a C kite once, it wasn't as easy... but I was unfamiliar with that kite.

The ease of relaunch was one of my BIG determining factors in which kite I learned with!

If I was to give any relaunch advice... it would be to learn to relaunch your kite in light wind conditions when the kite is dead downwind. That caused me some headaches while learning.

You're asking GREAT questions man! Now go have some fun and get some lessons!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post
Any comments on #2? I was curious to get the high level overview of how one re-launches their kite while in the water.
As Todd says, it depends. Type of kite is a big factor. Conventionally, with both C and flat kites you pull in and hold on a back leader line on the side you want to relaunch to and wait until the kite moves to the side of the wind window, rolls up into a "c" shape on the water and eventually relaunches. In practice you may need to coax the kite in a variety of ways into this position particularly if the wind is marginal. With some flat kites if the kite is resting downwind leading edge down you can pull in on both front leader lines and the kite will reverse launch straight upward off the water. There are a lot of variables in this, adequate wind speed, lack of tangles, waves, proper leading edge inflation. If there is particularly light wind, you may not successfully relaunch the kite, etc.. On the other hand, some kites will almost auto relaunch in sufficient wind, whether you want them to or not. Practicing water relaunching is an essential step in building this basic skill. It all starts with quality lessons though. btw, make sure your instructor will demonstrate and allow you to practice self-rescue. There are a variety of ways of doing this and some risk depending on wind and wave conditions. Still, it is something all kiters should know various means of doing and in particular the risks (tangles, wave loading of the kite and leaving too much power in the kite by improper line winding, slippage while winding, etc.) and ways of trying to manage them.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Just one more.

When you want to come in, if it is windy i.e. storm coming in etc... How do you get your kite to come down?

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

First, you work HARD to avoid the storm through proper weather planning and monitoring. This is something that isn't taught all that much at this point in formal instruction but should be. If you get caught out in high winds, you screwed up and some guys that have done this haven't survived the mistake. Dangerous, unstable weather needs to be avoided. Some information in this regard appears at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=69

If despite all precautions you get caught out and are concerned that you may be overpowered, NOT waiting until you are overpowered, simply Emergency Depower your kite. Don't wait, do it now and bailout or self-rescue using your adequate swimming ability, supplemented (slightly) by your impact vest. How you Emergency Depower will vary from kite to kite to some degree but I would never consider flying one in the first place without first understanding, then practicing this very basic step. Make sure your instructor will teach you how to self-rescue in your course. A good course will involve a thorough explanation, practice of Emergency Depowering followed by several actual Emergency Depowering exercises with no warning upon demand.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi