FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM
popeye

Default Weather reminders... beginners plz read

Last year I was driving home across the skyway while watching a very bad storm approach from the west ... to my surprise there were 5 or 6 riders (mostly beginners) at backside riding as if nothing was going on! I heard later that there were some really nasty close calls despite the obvious warning signs (obvious enough that I took a picture of it 20 minutes before).

Finding these pictures on my cellphone reminded me of just how lucky those guys were that nobody got hurt.

The wind can go from 10mph immediately to 35mph when you see this type of rain column in the distance. Think about what a gust of 35mph would be like on your 18M while standing or riding near the shore line...

Land right away UNLESS you think it may be too late. If that happens, keep your distance from shore and crash your kite in the water until it passes.

We don't want to see you dragged across I-275 while trying to reach for your quick release ouch.

Last edited by popeye; 02-12-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo