FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
A 12m C in that situation is a very bad idea.
It was gusting to 35 at TI. That would have really bad.
Hybrids can depower SO much more, it's night and day.
I agree completely that a 12m kite on Sunday was not advisable. Sometimes it's not a question of what you can handle..it's what can the kite handle? Also, seeing an experienced rider on a 7m C kite getting worked out there should tell a few people something. He was handling fine, but every so often he was probably way overpowered, but i give him credit for the way he handled it.

I would be completely shocked if any of the kite companies represented on the water on Sunday would ever suggest that a 12m kite was safe for those conditions. I understand that rider weight and kite size are related...but every kite has it's limits and once it reaches it's limits it is not safe. Even a 9m kite on Sunday was questionable. I weigh 155#, however I fully understand the challenges heavier riders face. Still, I know a smaller kite with the right board would be fine in 30+ knots sustained wind for a heavier rider. It was gusting to 40.

Things happen fast and often with dire consequences in that kind of wind.

I can assure you that with the right board a 12m kite would certainly not be necessary. I was OK with a 5m Waroo, and totally powered witha 141 Session Spleene. If I had a 154 Spleene, or similar board the 5m would have been plenty.

A smaller kite and more efficent board is always much safer.

As for leash and QR issues. Did you have a leash with a QR on it? and Tom is right...get your lines or your leash wrapped around a buoy and you better think fast and think about cutting yourself free. I carry a river knife and a line cutter for this sort of situation.

Please ride safely.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertovillate View Post
Even a 9m kite on Sunday was questionable. It was gusting to 40.
I remember a couple of years ago doing the first kitemasters boardercross in the gulf in 40-45mph winds... on a 9M C kite. Bayflite had to hold me down before and after the race. That was scary as hell! 40mph on a 9M is definitely pushing it.

I should have been on my 7 but I left it at home

Modern kites rock!