FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-23-2004, 06:52 AM

LeeSide Destin NW 15-20 !! Hwy 98 looks hungry. Watch those gusts!!!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:52 AM

LeeSide Destin NW 15-20 !! Hwy 98 looks hungry. Watch those gusts!!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:36 AM

got off work early Thursday, and was on the bay by 1o'clock. Outside temp 40F,
winds N 15-20. (actually coming out of about 345' so almost a direct N, much less turbulence and more comfortable riding than the NW crap we've been getting.)

My best upwind track speeds were 15mph at 70' into wind, riding a 135 TT and flying a 14m foil.
Was making consitant 20mph tracks on a 90' broad reach with a top speed of 24mph, covering a total of about 16 miles, and maintaining 200m-300m from the shore (and Hwy 98 )

The wind strength varied quite a bit but was not turbulent so I could deal with that. Just had to quickly take advantage of the power to get jumps.
A few times, just as I sent the kite the wind backed off, resulting in not enough power to lift off the water. When I got the timing right, got some nice little floaty 2-3 second jumps.

So, where was everyone? Had the whole place to myself! :lol:

Have a Great Christmas,
Dix
Old 12-24-2004, 08:36 AM

got off work early Thursday, and was on the bay by 1o'clock. Outside temp 40F,
winds N 15-20. (actually coming out of about 345' so almost a direct N, much less turbulence and more comfortable riding than the NW crap we've been getting.)

My best upwind track speeds were 15mph at 70' into wind, riding a 135 TT and flying a 14m foil.
Was making consitant 20mph tracks on a 90' broad reach with a top speed of 24mph, covering a total of about 16 miles, and maintaining 200m-300m from the shore (and Hwy 98 )

The wind strength varied quite a bit but was not turbulent so I could deal with that. Just had to quickly take advantage of the power to get jumps.
A few times, just as I sent the kite the wind backed off, resulting in not enough power to lift off the water. When I got the timing right, got some nice little floaty 2-3 second jumps.

So, where was everyone? Had the whole place to myself! :lol:

Have a Great Christmas,
Dix
Old 12-24-2004, 09:11 AM

Default wind this week

I have been in the Keys for a month now and will be here through Februsary sometime.....this place blows like there is a giant wind machine on the horizon most of the time....lots of great launch sites on the ocean side....you can take a boat out to the sandbar at Holiday Isle and launch when it is offshore....I have found a couple of other launches here when it is NW and N but they are a bit more treacherous to launch from, but once you are out on the water, they are great. It is warm and windy here...I am not missing the 40 degree weather in Panama City Beach this time of year.....see you in the spring.
Rush
Old 12-24-2004, 09:11 AM

Default wind this week

I have been in the Keys for a month now and will be here through Februsary sometime.....this place blows like there is a giant wind machine on the horizon most of the time....lots of great launch sites on the ocean side....you can take a boat out to the sandbar at Holiday Isle and launch when it is offshore....I have found a couple of other launches here when it is NW and N but they are a bit more treacherous to launch from, but once you are out on the water, they are great. It is warm and windy here...I am not missing the 40 degree weather in Panama City Beach this time of year.....see you in the spring.
Rush
Old 12-24-2004, 09:22 AM

DUDE! I'm soo jealous!

You're not missing 40 degree weather, You're missing 21F freezing rain today!!

Thanks for the info on the Keys, awesome,

have a great one!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:22 AM

DUDE! I'm soo jealous!

You're not missing 40 degree weather, You're missing 21F freezing rain today!!

Thanks for the info on the Keys, awesome,

have a great one!
Old 04-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Default wind in Mexico Beach

We checked out the Gulf this morning and it was too off shore.....four of us loaded up and drove an hour east to Mexico Beach....the beach sticks out over there and catches the NW side on shore....small waves and blowing 18-25 with some gusts to 30.....10 and 12 meter kites and some big air. The beaches down in Mexico beach are wide open and waiting for kiters. A classic day, for sure.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Default wind in Mexico Beach

We checked out the Gulf this morning and it was too off shore.....four of us loaded up and drove an hour east to Mexico Beach....the beach sticks out over there and catches the NW side on shore....small waves and blowing 18-25 with some gusts to 30.....10 and 12 meter kites and some big air. The beaches down in Mexico beach are wide open and waiting for kiters. A classic day, for sure.