FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 PM
popeye

So what was the result of the meeting?

A hangover?

Last edited by popeye; 08-26-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 AM
popeye

Are the luggage tags for identifying level, or just for contact info?

What good is a sticker on a car?

The purpose this thread and meeting was to identify new riders, correct?

Quote:
First post of this thread:
There are a number of issues in our area, but the A # 1 thing that needs to be addressed is identifying new riders.
Was any agreement reached on this point?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Good outcome. I like the idea of the luggage tag on the harness very much. For the sign issue. I think approval for Ft. Desoto could be achieved and thus, no need to replace the sign constantly. As far as the sign problem at the skyway is concerned; What if the sign was portable...much like the flags Randy sticks in the ground everytime he is there to signify his location and promote Best. If the signs were cheap and could be distributed to a few people that ride the skyway most...maybe those people could just stake it in the ground everytime they ride and remove it before they leave??? This could alleviate some of the concerns regarding replacement on a regular basis.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
popeye

Sounds like another meeting with only the instructors involved would be a good idea. BBQ+Beer is nice but I don't think it is the right atmosphere for a serious decision making.

Hopefully the local instructors from wsw/triton will come up with a working system we can all encourage/enforce.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 PM

gotta start somewhere..

get together was nice.. had to skip out early due to other obligations .. but I saw the core group of experienced riders and instructors going over all the options. Everyone was serious about trying to find a way to get the ball rolling.

From the conversations that I was involved with heres what I took from the get together (besides a slight buzz)..

1. Signs will be distributed ASAP. Still some questions on exactly how to get these out there and exactly what they will say.. but its the bare bones basic start that needs to happen. Conversation of posting on sign details about some areas being restricted to intermediate and advanced riders only (Skyway) and others being more "rules to follow" types. Signs may have details on "Ask another rider that is wearing a XXXX color tag if you have any questions" to get item # 2 going.

2. Distribute stickers for cars and/or clips for harnesses to riders that are considered intermediate skill or above. These will need to be agreed upon and distributed by local instructors. Cost should be nothing (if possible) and they serve only to let other riders know that you are a capable rider. This is not a certification and is simply to help out skilled riders to quickly ID those on the beach and for newbie to ID those that might be able to help them.. This will need to be refined to a very simple and easy to implement method and will need as much local support as possible. The ONLY way this will work is if we all adopt this as "our system" and we stick to it. If we dont.. then back to square one and more ideas.

3. Do all we can as a group to spread the word of how great all of us Kitesurfers are.. Jayson's meeting w/ the politician, beach clean ups sponsored by kite groups.. all of these will get our name out and people will see we are organized and have numbers. Maybe get some more Kite-demo events out on the beaches to showcase the sport to people who might be interested and get some more mentions in local media.. Basically we need to keep our name in the positive as much as possible.

In the end tho.. its up to us to enforce this as much as possible. Get to know who is an instructor.. its probably a good idea to approach a new rider that might be doing something they shouldnt with a group and preferably with an instructor. Be cool and professional and most will respond to it positively..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
popeye

Sounds great, glad it was a productive meeting after all. I was wondering because the thread sort of died, but maybe everyone was just busy catching up on the weekend.

The tag idea seems reasonable I guess. Whatever is decided upon I'll enforce/encourage however I can.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Reaction to the meeting

First want to thank Matt for offering his place for the meeting. All active instructors in the bay area were present minus kitemare....I believe those guys don't hang here in the summer. At least someone has some common sense.

Some common themes I am hearing on this thread.

1. There is a strong support for signs at crowded riding spots. Skyway East and West as well as East Beach.

2. An ID system would be helpful in identifying new, unfamiliar, and non-local riders.

3. Everyone needs to take a more active role in monitoring these areas in regards to new riders with instructors leading the charge.

So far, no one on the forum has been strongly opposed to the above 3 items. As a matter of fact, some excellent suggestions have been made by many concerned riders.

The meeting was casual and very informal, but discussion was present and some decisions were made. I don't think this will be our last get together but only our first of many in making some important decisions about the future of our sport in Tampa Bay. I am glad it was casual as it allowed for a relaxed flow of ideas. I do hope however, to have a few more of these sessions in a more formal atmosphere.

Item 1 was easy enough. All that is needed is to work out the details of what will be on the signs, get funding, get them built, get permission to install, and get them in place. East Beach will be the tough one. We are working on getting some signs that will last and hold up to the elements. Wood was discussed but Gabe may have a lead on signs that are used for the highways. Triton Kiteboarding may be able to fund these signs, and Matt has a meeting with the powers that be at Eckerd to get permission to install at East Beach. Scott...heard you may have an in with the park ranger.

Item 3 can only be helped by the installment of these signs. We all agreed we can pick out a new rider, and we all agreed that we aren't so quick to help or interfere as usually conflict may arise. However, the signs may empower anyone to get involved in an unsafe situation. Instructors are going to step up and offer advice and assistane with anyone that is struggling. Back us up, and we will back you guys up. There was also concern about dangerous riding practices by intermediate and advanced riders and the signs will address that as well.

Item 2 is the tough one. I feel this area had some for it, and some against. Some of us were concerned about being able to identify on the water, as some were concerned about identification on land. A tag on the harness or arm would be great on land, but not on water. A tag on the kite line would be great on the water, but not on land. More discussion on this I think will be needed. We felt that taking care of the signs and being more proactive on the beach may solve alot of problems. The ID system may not be necessary but I would like to leave it open for discussion as there was not an overall feeling against it.

My suggestion for now is to tackle the signs head on. Any help would be appreciated. A rough draft will be drawn up and shared with everyone before it is built. We may need to come together and put up some funds to get them built. I know Triton is going to do what they can. Count WSW in for some funding. Local donations couldn't hurt. Let's see what Matt can do first.

There is a great movie quote from one of my favorite movies Apollo 13 "Work the problem people!"

Have a great week
Steve-O
Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 AM
popeye

At EB if someone is being stupid and reckless and is truly a risk to himself and others in the park, I am sure the Rangers would be happy to ask him to leave if they were notified of the situation. This goes for anything not just kite boarding.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 AM

I would hope that we could handle issues with any one rider ourselves.. would hope that Ranger and/or Police involvement would be a super rare occurance.

but.. if someone is being reckless regarless of what they are doing, I am all for calling in the people that get paid to get these people off the beach. Getting the police involved before some fight or whatever breaks out would look better than having them show up after a punch is thrown or a line is cut.

would think these situations would be rare.. if the community as a whole is behind the guidelines, then it will become the norm.

And just something to think about.. the Skyway is a great place to ride.. but there are other options as well. Lassing and even the downtown St. Petersburg Beach are great on ENE ... Maybe signs at these places as well if the others are accepted w/o issue.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 PM

I have the catalog for the luggage tags. they can be personalized however we want them. (level 1 rider, etc) they secure with a rubber/plastic cord that seems very pliable and strong. If they are bought in bulk, they are inexpensive. If we were to order 250, depending on the type we were to choose, they range between $.79 and $1.85/tag. I think emergency contact info on them will also be an added benefit.