FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Area Lost and Found
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Skyway Scott

So, how bout those bow kites?

No offense, but I have heard all the arguments both ways about a zillion times fellas (and abortion and evolution and alot of others) and this is a kiting forum.

Any news on the Wavetray?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm waiting for the new contra before I make my decision on a lightwind kite.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
E-Bone

I am waiting to see how my new Waroo stands up to being shot and used as a banner at an abortion rally before I make my final decision. It also depends on whether global warming caused Hurricane Katrina.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Skyway Scott

:shock:
I got to ride the 14m TD in high winds (20) on a seabreeze Friday and low winds (10 max) yesterday around 3 when the wind died.
In 20 I was LITT and was jumping to the MOON... seriously, biggest jumps I have ever done.

The low end on the kite is impressive. I was riding in 10 no problem. Donna is litt in solid 10knots on it.

Unless a bigger guy, I can't see getting the 16m Turbo Diesel.

That's about all I have.... not alot of time on bows. Oh, I have ridden the Xbows and Switchblades. I like the Switchblade more than the Xbow.....

Can't wait to see where this type of kite is in 2 years.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
E-Bone

Hey, Scott, what do you think about the 9m Waroo?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Skyway Scott

Thought I gave a review... maybe I didn't.

Ok. Honesty is best policy.

I think the range on the Waroo is INCREDIBLE. Probably much better than the 10m TD.
I thought it jumped very well and went upwind well. As it got windier, it did not feel gruntier (like a TD or Xbow would) it just went more upwind.
Overall a nice kite.

My two beefs (kinda hand n hand) are that it seems twitchy at times in gusts and I thought it might want to invert if left with no back line pressure in extreme high winds. Did it invert on me?.. Hell no! Did not allow no backline pressure to ever occur at 35 knots.

Also, let go of bar to spin it... good bye! (Unless real long arms) Both of those problems could be solved with a stopper of some sort.

All in all I and everyone who rode it loved it. I KNOW for a fact, that (lil) Rob from Sarasota would KILL for that kite. He looked AWEsome on it, jumping to the moon, etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM
tomstock

I liked it too. My only concern is the inversion and the safety. I've heard that if you use the back line as a safety the kite will spin forever on one tip... don't know if that's true. I wouldn't use that suicide leash setup. Seems unsafe.

If I get one I'll probably (if possible) put a stopper ball on it to keep a little back line tension, and make up for that with a 5th line for a real (ie: kite can't fly) safety.

The only problem with adding a 5th line is that it could potentially invert the kite... of course it would also revert it too :)
Old 05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
E-Bone

I'd be interested in a Turbo Diesel in a 9m range. I don't know if it is made yet. I like the Waroo a lot but I would like to see it built tougher. We'll see what the other kite companies start coming out with.

I flew the 12m Waroo this weekend and was not as impressed, but it could have been a rigging issue. I'd like to fly a stock 12m Waroo right out of the bag and see what happens.

It's all good. The new gear is really blowing my mind.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM

Ebone..
did you do the bridle mod on your kite yet? supposed to help with stabilization of the kite in gustier conditions..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Skyway Scott

I have flown the 10m Turbo Diesel in high and marginal winds. For me, I would put a comfortable range for the 10 TD at 14 to 30 or so (not 40).
Donna now has a 10 and a 14 TD. She stops riding basically at 25, so this is a two kite quiver for her.

They (TDs) seem gruntier to me than the Waroos.
Not that that is good or bad.. it just is.
They also seem more stable and alot less twitchy (in terms of shooting to edge of window/ fluttering) in gusty winds. I would not put Donna on a Waroo with its current setup. I just don't trust it yet. That's just as much a "feeling" as anything else. Can't put it into words or being scientific about it... it just seems a little unpredictable to me.

On a similar note. I am honestly clueless on this one.
What DO you do to save yourself on a bow? in a bad situation?
Rely on it dying by use of front lines or hook it up to a back "oh shit" setup? or just let it GO for good and pray it comes back?
I have ZERO experience with these things whacking my a$$, so this is a serious question.

Also, how do you self land them?