FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Time to get organized.. stop the b.s. and get some stuff done.

Maybe this could be a forum thread that is b.s. free and just a slinging back and forth of ideas on how we can do as much as we can to regulate our launch areas before things get out of control and others do it for us.

Fact is that if there is a serious accident involving someone other than a kiter things could get ugly for us. We are becoming a densely populated group and many communities around the state and the nation have already imposed limitations. That is probably inevitable .. but.. if we get our shit together now and forum an organization with the best intentions, it might be the only way we can show that we are doing all we can.

** It will be impossible to stop all accidents or all new riders from doing what the hell they want.. but if we had some sort of agreed on organization it would be a great place to start **

There are a number of issues in our area, but the A # 1 thing that needs to be addressed is identifying new riders.

I have always liked the idea of wearing some sort of color band or tag on our harnesses or leash line to indicate either our level of kiting skills or something like that.

If we had some color of band that just indicated that you were a competent rider based on a certification or something it would be easy for other riders to identify them.

Maybe another color that indicated a certified rider but also one that was of a "mentor" status that anyone could come talk to regarding help or questions. I know that when I started, if there had been someone that could have talked me through some of my earlier sessions after my lessons it could have kept my "learning mistakes" to a minimum. A mentor would not be an instructor, but just someone that could help out those that had post-lessons questions. Someone who would be willing to put down their kite to assist others on the beach for a short while to keep things as safe as possible.

None of us know who the new riders all are, but we know they have questions and just really want to get up and riding as fast as possible. If we has some sort of identifying ourselves as approachable riders for all questions it might be just the thing to get the newbies starting the conversation instead of us trying to identify them through their bad habits and having to start the conversation ourselves.

And then maybe another color that indicated full certified instructor.

I dont recognize 80% of the people on the beach anymore.. I am always willing to help those that need help.. If new riders knew that folks with a certain color band were there to help, it might be enough to get conversations started.

This is just an idea.. but I think if we honed it down and figured out a way to get the message out on what the colors meant it could alleviate some issues.
Maybe a Green band for all riders, a Yellow band for mentors and an Orange band for instructors. Get a snazzy logo on it and figure out a way to get is distributed to all local riders and figure out a way to get local instructors to use it for their students.

More ideas? better ideas?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa