FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-12-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Marathon

Anyone kiting in Marathon? I'm going to be there in the end of March and I'm looking for some local knowledge. My buddies there are all windsurfers and travel out the flats by boat.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Kiters do the same there. call Kevin at 305-481-5152. He's on this forum as well but he'll be able to hook you up with the local info and riding spots.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 PM

Jaco,

Where are you from. Just wondering. When you get down, give me a call at The Otherside Boardsports at (305)853-9728 for the best spots and for where everyone will be riding. Every Sunday if there is wind, we have a barbecue at Anne's Beach for all to attend. It would be great if you came.

Noel
Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 AM

Default marathon

were are you guys staying? There are plenty of places to ride and march is a good time, my # is up there give me a call or send me a message.
________
Silversurfer Reviews

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 AM

We haven't actually booked a place yet. Any recommendations? There will be 4 of us and we want to share one room for 3 nights. I'll have access to a boat or two, which is a good thing....but i know Marathon doesn't really have much beach space. Are people riding at Bahia Honda or did it get banned there? I know the winds can really blow in march. What size will most you likely be riding? Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
We haven't actually booked a place yet. Any recommendations? There will be 4 of us and we want to share one room for 3 nights. I'll have access to a boat or two, which is a good thing....but i know Marathon doesn't really have much beach space. Are people riding at Bahia Honda or did it get banned there? I know the winds can really blow in march. What size will most you likely be riding? Thanks for all the help!

Jaco,

Cabo can probably help you better if you want to stay in Marathon. If your in Islamorada, the best place is Coconut Cove Resort. It's probably the most popular kiteboarders place to stay and for 4 people will be @ $40-$50 per person. Make sure you tell them you are kiteboarders and get a discount. Marathon has some decent riding spots including Coco Plum, Curry Hammocks, Sombrero Beach and Bahia Honda. Bahia Honda is still a great place to ride. Please keep to the northern end of the beach and stay out of the swimming areas. Kite sizes in March can range from 16m to 7m.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 AM

send me a PM for what your looking for in a room, having a boat is always a plus I can point you in the right direction for some great flying, or a down winder. baha honda hasn't been closed down yet, I actually was on the phone with manager he is pretty pro active, hopefully with our combined efforts the park well actually improve for kiters.

kevin
________
Angeltraviesox

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabo123 View Post
send me a PM for what your looking for in a room, having a boat is always a plus I can point you in the right direction for some great flying, or a down winder. baha honda hasn't been closed down yet, I actually was on the phone with manager he is pretty pro active, hopefully with our combined efforts the park well actually improve for kiters.

kevin
Sounds good Kevin. I've been concerned about Bahia Honda for years. What would you think about putting together a short list of guidelines to try to keep us in there? Main points are walking well to the north to launch and ride and staying out of the swimming areas, right? I have some water level panoramas and sat. images that could be added in. For that matter, what about putting them together for some of the other major Keys launches where none exist at present? What do you think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 AM

That would be very cool.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Default rick

since you offer anything you have would be great. main thing is to give kiters some rights. I have had a old lady come put her stuff beside me and then go complain to the park rangers because she thought we weren't safe. hopefully we can get a kite launching area and some good guidelines to follow.
________
E cigarette

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:35 PM.