FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi
View Poll Results: Do you consider the advertisements in the kiteboarding magazines to be art?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 0 0%
Never pay attention to them 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Welcome to Art in Kiteboarding.

Hello,

I'm Lindy from www.sharkless.com and creator of "A Kiteboarder's Wife" comic. Other than kiteboarding, my passion in life has been art since I was a kid. There's many great artists out there who share the same interests as me: art & kiteboarding and I'm looking for you. The art in kiteboarding is everywhere from the graphic ads in the magazines and cartoons to board and kite pattern designs to the graphitti kite art on your ride. The kites and boards dynamics are even designed with a combination of engineering and art. The possibilities are endless.

If you have put a visual creative spin on the kiteboarding scene in any way, we want to hear about it, and see it. In addition to the forum, I will add a section to our website entitled: "Art in Kiteboarding" where people can upload and view artwork from creative kiteboarders around the world. So, as Pat Benetar says.. "hit me with your best shot."

This forum is also open to those wishing to discuss art in the kiteboarding industry. Let's get it rolling!

Lindy

\"Throw your dreams into the air like a kite and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.\" - Anais Nin
Old 11-29-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Welcome to Art in Kiteboarding.

Hello,

I'm Lindy from www.sharkless.com and creator of "A Kiteboarder's Wife" comic. Other than kiteboarding, my passion in life has been art since I was a kid. There's many great artists out there who share the same interests as me: art & kiteboarding and I'm looking for you. The art in kiteboarding is everywhere from the graphic ads in the magazines and cartoons to board and kite pattern designs to the graphitti kite art on your ride. The kites and boards dynamics are even designed with a combination of engineering and art. The possibilities are endless.

If you have put a visual creative spin on the kiteboarding scene in any way, we want to hear about it, and see it. In addition to the forum, I will add a section to our website entitled: "Art in Kiteboarding" where people can upload and view artwork from creative kiteboarders around the world. So, as Pat Benetar says.. "hit me with your best shot."

This forum is also open to those wishing to discuss art in the kiteboarding industry. Let's get it rolling!

Lindy

\"Throw your dreams into the air like a kite and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.\" - Anais Nin
Old 11-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Lindy,

Thanks for coming onboard! Looking forward to reading and seeing interesting things here. Your poll question is an intriguing one, right out of "Mona Lisa Smile" I think.

Is this art though?

Perhaps you could kick things off with some images of your recent projects?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Lindy,

Thanks for coming onboard! Looking forward to reading and seeing interesting things here. Your poll question is an intriguing one, right out of "Mona Lisa Smile" I think.

Is this art though?

Perhaps you could kick things off with some images of your recent projects?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-29-2004, 09:25 AM

Rick-

As a matter of fact.. I know the guy that probably took that picture. We met him while we were on Harbour Island, Bahamas. His name is Gavin Butler. He does all of Best's media and advertising. I was quite impressed that he simply does everything by a portable macintosh and he lives practically out of a backpack traveling all of the time. When we met him he was staying at "sitting pretty," the biggest house on the dunmore beach club that belongs to alex shogren and his family. His parents Noel and Elaine were also very nice.

I have to say that he does some amazing work, especially for not studying art. He is a chef by trade, which is also a form of art. Interesting.

The poll question, that's something only I started to analyse once I was in art school. The deeper you delve into art the more you realize it surrounds you, you live in it, eat it, drink out of it, sit on it and watch it everyday. I've taken some interesting trips to companies whom design the cereal boxes, to museums and talked with people whom design each museum display (never considered that an actual art or job) I'm even friends with G.S. whom designs "Aggression Kiteboards" www.aggressionkiteboarding.com out of Grand Haven, Michigan.

I know that art is everywhere in the kiteboarding industry. We could try to name them all. Anyone wanna begin? As for my own art, I do all sorts, not always about kiteboarding. I'll be posting a new comic in a few days. I'll be adding a section of my artwork as well as another to feature everyone's artwork soon and I'll let you know.

Good Day!
Lindy

Old 11-29-2004, 09:25 AM

Rick-

As a matter of fact.. I know the guy that probably took that picture. We met him while we were on Harbour Island, Bahamas. His name is Gavin Butler. He does all of Best's media and advertising. I was quite impressed that he simply does everything by a portable macintosh and he lives practically out of a backpack traveling all of the time. When we met him he was staying at "sitting pretty," the biggest house on the dunmore beach club that belongs to alex shogren and his family. His parents Noel and Elaine were also very nice.

I have to say that he does some amazing work, especially for not studying art. He is a chef by trade, which is also a form of art. Interesting.

The poll question, that's something only I started to analyse once I was in art school. The deeper you delve into art the more you realize it surrounds you, you live in it, eat it, drink out of it, sit on it and watch it everyday. I've taken some interesting trips to companies whom design the cereal boxes, to museums and talked with people whom design each museum display (never considered that an actual art or job) I'm even friends with G.S. whom designs "Aggression Kiteboards" www.aggressionkiteboarding.com out of Grand Haven, Michigan.

I know that art is everywhere in the kiteboarding industry. We could try to name them all. Anyone wanna begin? As for my own art, I do all sorts, not always about kiteboarding. I'll be posting a new comic in a few days. I'll be adding a section of my artwork as well as another to feature everyone's artwork soon and I'll let you know.

Good Day!
Lindy

Old 12-04-2004, 09:12 PM

Just a thought: art is as much a part of kiteboarding as the technicalities of the sport. I was thinking about it and it's in: the clothing fashion, videos, magazines, product design, rider photos.

Without all of the cool looking art kiteboarding would look a lot like this page with text on it, pretty boring. Art makes kiteboarding what it is today, and people make art. I find it totally fascinating what man/womankind can come up with. Good stuff!

Lindy
Old 12-04-2004, 09:12 PM

Just a thought: art is as much a part of kiteboarding as the technicalities of the sport. I was thinking about it and it's in: the clothing fashion, videos, magazines, product design, rider photos.

Without all of the cool looking art kiteboarding would look a lot like this page with text on it, pretty boring. Art makes kiteboarding what it is today, and people make art. I find it totally fascinating what man/womankind can come up with. Good stuff!

Lindy
Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Lindy
Art is an integral part. Writing reviews for the last few years at Surf Expo. , I have been impressed by how sensitive folks are to board, kite and gear graphics. I have heard people focus on the relative quality and appearence of graphics to the exclusion of performance characteristics.

This may be obvious to some folks but it was a bit of a revelation to me. Years ago, people would say, "what a nice looking sail" or later, "what a pretty kite." WHAT does that have to do with performance would slide through my mind at that time. Still, good looking products are important, even to me!

Different strokes for different folks. I have little doubt that the focus on artistic graphics is NOT a revelation to concept designers and marketers with the manufacturers. They have been tuned into the consumer appeal of these attributes for some time.

It goes beyond graphics however, well beyond. Spectators are drawn to our sport by the dynamic appearence it offers. Art is all around us, sometimes we just need to tune in a bit.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Lindy
Art is an integral part. Writing reviews for the last few years at Surf Expo. , I have been impressed by how sensitive folks are to board, kite and gear graphics. I have heard people focus on the relative quality and appearence of graphics to the exclusion of performance characteristics.

This may be obvious to some folks but it was a bit of a revelation to me. Years ago, people would say, "what a nice looking sail" or later, "what a pretty kite." WHAT does that have to do with performance would slide through my mind at that time. Still, good looking products are important, even to me!

Different strokes for different folks. I have little doubt that the focus on artistic graphics is NOT a revelation to concept designers and marketers with the manufacturers. They have been tuned into the consumer appeal of these attributes for some time.

It goes beyond graphics however, well beyond. Spectators are drawn to our sport by the dynamic appearence it offers. Art is all around us, sometimes we just need to tune in a bit.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi