FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Very cool! Just joined and sent a test txt. It works nice! Only concern is it says standart txt charges apply. I hope there is not a bait and switch going on - especially when it is a windy day and a ton of txts are going out. Only way to know would be when I get my iPhone bill. Regardless, works like a charm. Thanks Scott. Lets get the word out on this. Very easy to use.

Tony
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 PM

It does seem to work. You got me on the charges thing, but I hear you..

In terms of the tons of texts on a windy day. The way I see it -
If someone sends one, maybe one more for confirmation. Beyond that is overkill. Then maybe one per 1.5 hours to say "still blowing".
No need to send 20 msgs. all saying same thing.

I just transferred that acc't over to someone else to be admin because I was using a friend's phone number to activate it and don't even have a text mssging service on my phone. So I am not even on the list anymore.
I have zero clue on charges and stuff. I talk with my voice on my phone.
Hopefully it's not a scam.
My first feeling with Skype was "too good to be true" and I have talked to people from all over on it for free. So.... some stuff is actually free (?) or normal charge.
Makes no sense, I know.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 PM

I was thinking the same thing about updates, etc. Thanks again for setting it up. Hopefully it will catch on.

Tony
Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM

instead of "still blowing" maybe a text update about conditions i.e. E 15-17 Gust 22 small chop? as this would give more indication to ppl having to make the drive, some conditions may suit some and not others? just putting it out there.... anyone for EB tonight?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM

No doubt, HK. More specific (and concise) the better.
I got lazy there expressing myself.

No problem whatsoever, Tony. My primary goal was to stop "false positives".
It's a bummer to see people drive all the way from Sarasota to get skunked at EB. Let's not forget to post "wind died" updates too. Those might prove more valuable to people.
Obviously the setup only took an hour. This thing's success is going to take cooperation over a longer period of time. Thing is, it should be pretty eazy-peazy.

One last thought. If this indeed catches on, we might decide to have a WindyS, and WindyN mark, for those of us up N v. down south. Maybe not.....
Old 09-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Scott-

Completely agree about the driving, false postives, etc. HK - where do you see wind for tonight? Also - doesnt EB close at Sunset?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Seems like a winner. Lot's of potential.

I assume you can you use that unsubscribe button like an ON/OFF button?

For those with web enabled phones, you could easily bypass the zing ($) of a text, by using the website to send the text. Helpful to those that might have a text fee or limited amount of texts from their carrier.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Just wanted to reflect and remind....

How cool that we are all working together to solve a problem and help bring us closer together. Usually in times of no wind, especially on the forum, is the time for tempers to flare and topics come to drive us apart.

I for one, have had some tech questions regarding this very same topic, and it seems that they are getting anwered. Couldn't be more excited.

On a funny note, it seems that we just want to find that little ounce of wind to go out and ride and we will do whatever it takes to find it.

It is blowing out of the north at IRB right now. 15+

Wish I could go. Seems fun.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Jetpack,

That's a good question about the on/off. Bob asked me that earlier. I don't know the answer.
It's obvious if you know you can't go a particular day, you don't want to be texted that it's blowing. It'll just be annoying and cost you, too. The next day, maybe you would want to "switch it on", like you said.
I don't have an acc't or text service. Can someone else figure out some more of the specifics in that regard and post about it.

Also, as you said, texts can be read as well as made - online - without the need for texting via a phone. This app seems like a winner at first glance.
We will know before too long.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 PM

Steve-O; Scott and JetPack-

Agreed! It is very cool we are working through it. WE NEED WIND! Scott - thanks for the post about the Skyway - works great. It was too late but the concept was perfect. I got a few of the North County boys to sign up to the service today. They are going to give it a shot.

Jetpack and Scott - when you go to the webpage of the service - you can go into your profile (log in) and I think you can just unsubscribe to the Windy mail list. I am assuming you can just go back in and subscribe when you want to be back in the fold.

Tony