Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Donation Drive - Ft. Lauderdale Lofting

CLICK BANNER TO GO TO DONATION SITE AND FOR UPDATES ON KEVIN'S PROGRESS

Kevin Kearney underwent a violent lofting during a squall from Tropical Storm Fay early the evening of August 18, 2008. Images from this startling accident were captured by a TV news cameraman as Kevin was repeatedly lofted and flew overhead as rain pounded down. The rain spattered clip was carried by news services and websites worldwide. Many wondered how anyone could survive such a high speed flight into a hard landscape.

Amazingly, Kevin spent only a few days in the ICU and regular room before being discharged to go home. For those that saw the video, this outcome might be called miraculous. We understand he has no memory of the lofting or ensuing accident. We hope this very rapid healing continues leading to his full recovery.

Kevin was recently laid off from his job and in the process, lost his medical insurance coverage. As a result, his emergency medical treatment, time in the ICU and future rehabilitation and treatment will be at his cost alone. Such expenses can be overwhelming but at the same time critically necessary. Donations are being requested to help Kevin out. Please click on the banner above to be taken to the website, http://kevinkite.org/.

Thank you in advance for your concern and generosity. Any donation regardless of amount is very sincerely appreciated to help Kevin work his way back to health.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-23-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting this up.

Kevin is still at home, but his brain is still very fragile. He has / had brain bruising, and brain bleeding.
Also, he will be on Good Morning America this Monday for an interview, his condition permitting. This way we can all put a face with the events.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am glad he is home and am sorry to hear about the brain trauma. Time can do wonders with things like that. Also, I had this insistent craving for blueberries after my TBI. I found out much later that they may help with brain injuries.

It is unfortunate that GMA is moving so quickly for an interview. Kevin just got out of the hospital after all from a horrific accident less than a week ago. It isn't really fair to him either as he may be viewed as the de facto spokesman for the entire sport by lay people out there. That is a lot of responsibility for anyone and particularly for someone just coming back from some significant trauma.

Hopefully, he'll have family and friends there to support him. Good luck and keep healing Kevin.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Default how about just not doing the interview

seems like a good idea to me....apparently he can not remember the event anyway.....
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 AM

and during an interview with his parents, his dad stated that Kevin thought he was invincible. and because he rode so much in a variety of conditions, his dad began to think so, too. Unfortunately, this incident happened. I don't think that kiters, in general, believe they are invincible and that nothing bad will happen to them. Instead, when sesssion after session, strong winds, big surf, etc, you come in safely and have a beer with fellow kiters, we start to take that for granted and perhaps become complacent. This is a sport where nature must always be respected, gear must be checked, and common sense, not adrenaline, prevail.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 AM

On that page for Kevin can you guys add a thermometer or something to show how much is owed in medical expensives versus how much received in donations?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Default please help kevin-ft lauderdale lofting

Just read in the Key West Citizen that Kevin says that if he goes out in a tropical storm again he will wear a helmet, I really hope this was a misquote by the reporter as after his accident he should always wear a helmet and never ever consider going out in those conditions again.Learn from your mistakes,hope he continues to improve.

Greg
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Greg, that quote is correct. I heard it on WXEL radio here in Jupiter. He did sound like he was on some good pain medication, but he did say it.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The Sunsentinel quoted the same thing. When I got bashed my voice was screwed up for over a month, it was mechanical sounding and my short term memory was shot for about the same time. When you been through some serious head bashing, not only does your memory suffer but other things can get messed up too. It is hard to imagine having an interview on national TV a week later. I just managed to get out of the ICU around that time and just before a nasty ten day relapse of coma-like nearly continuous sleep and other stuff I would just as soon forget. I had my miraculous recovery, the neurologists term not mine, about 2 to 3 months later. I was wearing a helmet and the neurologist indicated it was probably why I survived the impact. Somehow I got the impression Kevin's was a more severe impact (induced coma, etc.). Then again, the results of bad head bonk can vary to some degree. Hope he is up to it, regardless of what the producers and American public think they want to see. Take care and don't push it too hard Kevin.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-24-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Medication???

I hope that the meds are really adversing his thought process. If it is not then why are we feeling bad about the accident? If he had worn a helmet during this incident, he still would be in a hospital right now.

My analogy to his statement is:

An alcoholic telling you he will drink less.

He has to realize what exactly the mistake that he made. By the statement, he has not understood it.

Good luck Kevin, I hope someday you realize LUCK is not predictable.

I am sure you will give a much concise interview once the meds wore off.