FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-28-2009, 04:54 AM

Default surfrider foundation

Maybe we should try and join with the surfrider foundation, although they are surfers(primary) we all want the same thing , and that is to enjoy our sport. There will be differences of course, but they have the numbers and we can also add to there numbers so it could be beneficial.

Greg
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
Maybe we should try and join with the surfrider foundation, although they are surfers(primary) we all want the same thing , and that is to enjoy our sport. There will be differences of course, but they have the numbers and we can also add to there numbers so it could be beneficial.

Greg
Good points Greg. The Surfrider Foundation is well connected, has lobbyists and is making a difference. It is worth noting they gave me a heads up about a efforts to ban kiting in Pompano before any of the local kiters. Also, during one threat to Virginia Key, the represented kiting interests when no one else could make it during the business day. I'm two counties north and none of the local kiters contacted could make the meeting. Anyway, we owe them already is my point.

I've been thinking about trying to more effectively promote what they are trying to do on here. You've helped to shove me off the fence Greg. I will start to repost announcements from the Broward Chapter. Do other folks receive email notices for other counties? We should give them our support, they frequently put out the call for people to help out in their efforts.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM

Went to last nights meeting too bad they ran out of time to discuss the kiteboarding issue. I guess it will be on the next agenda.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for coming John and sorry about the outcome. They had decided to discuss kiting during the next session, two commission meetings back. We were outside in front of the commission room at about 20 minutes til midnight when they called us back in. They asked for a bunch of stuff, which we brought to the next meeting. It was presented in hard copy before the meeting and via email and in person, again after 11:30 pm. I was worried about getting bumped that time too. In response, something very similar was requested to be brought to last night's meeting?! Well, we did just that but unfortunately, this time, they actually did bump us to the next scheduled meeting. Sigh, "public due process" might actually be a four letter word.

Anyway, thanks again to the rough ten people that came out last night to represent, stayed through the discussion of other events. Your time and commitment is much appreciated. Next time ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's an update via Mike O'Keefe from Barabara Cole of http://barbaracolebythesea.com/

We all know they never got to kiteboarding during the Commission Meeting on Tuesday night. What we didn't know is the Commission Meeting was resumed the next afternoon?! The topic came up and as there were no kiteboarders present, the issue was withdrawn for further consideration by the commission, for now.

This is what was conveyed by email, I can't comment further on this that that. One thing I am fairly sure of, when the winds return, IF we shove this issue back into the commission through poor riding behaviors, kiting will be taken to task again.

Do yourself and everyone else a huge favor, ride responsibly, ride smart.

Thanks!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Wow, I just read this now...while i do not think it is the worse proposal, I have a much better, easier, and more profitable one for the city.

I live in MI and have stayed at the hotel right by the spot several times over the years, it has great deals! As a visitor, I do not like the idea of paying $100 for 1 or 2 sessions and some streamer on my kite...

Why don't you just create fines and/or jailtime for kiters that endanger people? These laws already exist for waverunners, and boats. With my plan you do like a $500 fine and you will collect $2000 in only 4 violations. You could ever do jail time or a higher fee...kite compensation and auction, whatever...

It is always a few bad apples ruining it for all of us, that is why the control system you set up should punish the few bad apples, not all the good responsible kiters by making them folk out money, time, and hassle. Let the responsible kiters be and punish the irresponsible ones....

p.s. If you look at my old posts after my trips I was worried about access issues in the future....
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM

I just moved to the area this month, haven't had a chance to get out yet 1) not so much wind 2) work...... I've read through this issue & was wondering what local coordination there is within the kite community. When I lived here about 5 years ago (aka my pre-kite days, just the longboard) I was pretty active with the Surfrider foundation - though it was a very small group & falling into disrepair. I'm not sure where they stand these days, but why not join up & participate in their efforts. It definitely helps 'the cause' of all surfers (SUP, Kite & surf), makes us all look more united and presents a more professional front to access & other issues (also they've got cool t-shirts & beach cleanups which promote a good public image). Anyway, I'm looking to get involved in whatever anyone has going on & will be joining back up with Surfrider S FL chapter.

Saludos,

Aron
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM

groups and foundations fail over and over from what I have read. Some people just don't care and ruin it for everyone. Kiting needs to be regulated the same was as boats, cars, etc...those that are irresponsible pay the consequences to society.

Why should 100s of responsibile kiters have to pay $100 when instead you can just fine the few irresponsible kiters?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Unfortunately Otto, this seems to be the best recourse for controlling access in
LBTS. I was at the meeting Tuesday night and also unaware that the commission meeting
would continue the following day. The $100.00 fee and streamer, along with 'policing'
ourselves, will hopefully avoid the sport from being banned here.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Why don't you guys try to change it to what I said? Rick?? anyone? Don't you think it would be better to have the city police the people? That is how they have handle other issues when people endanger the public (driving, boating, waverunner, etc...) why should kiting be different? I would think the city would welcome the source of income (fining has much more earning potential then licensing). Also, what are they going to do when people just ignore it and ride anyway? (fine them) We need to give up on the idea of self policing and start getting cities to punish the irresponsible kiters for it. The problem with self policing is we lack the authority to fine/jail/punish infractors, all we legally have is peer pressure...