FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Christmas Downwinder - 12.17.06!

The guys in Miami have asked me to pass this along. We should have wind by the forecast this weekend. It is at 10 to 15 kts. NE for both Saturday and Sunday, December 17, 2006. More would be better, so They may make the call for which day the run will go off on Friday.

They are thinking of doing a casual run, no sponsors or organizers from 87th Terrace. in North Miami Beach to Matheson Hammock in Coconut Grove. As there are no sponsors or formal organizers, each rider is totally responsible for himself.

The run is about 21 miles and involves passing along south beach beyond the out of bounds swim area (at least 300 ft. from shore), past the entrance to the Port of Miami, past two other cuts, around Key Biscayne and about a 6 mile run across open water in Biscayne Bay to land at Matheson Hammock. Times will be calculated for riders that are interested in how long their run takes.

Riders should show up at 87th Terrace at 8:30 to 9:00am and be ready to take off with the group no later than 10:00 am on Saturday or Sunday as based on the decision on Friday.

Hey, it's Christmas Time, right? So, while we're having fun shredding along and enjoying these great conditions, why not try to do some good for others in the Spirit of the Season?

http://www.cavigliafoundation.org/

Many of us know of Alex Caviglia a well liked and respected long time kiter and windsurfer. The guys in Miami have suggested that riders if they are so inclined donate $25. or so to Shake-A-Leg-Miami Foundation in honor of Alex's memory through the Alex Caviglia Bluewater Foundation.

Shake-A-Leg is an incredible organization that strives to bring freedom and new experiences through sailing to people with disabilities. More about the organization at: http://shakealegmiami.org/ I understand a representative will be at 87th Terrace to receive donations. This is the season of Giving and we have received so much this year, (in terms of Great Wind alone!), why not pass the blessing along?

There will also be a wrap party, location TBA soon.

So, that's an idea for a fun non-event this Sunday.

Who's in?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 PM

coun t me in
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 PM

1) Me, defintely.

2) Brandon Briggs, practically definitely.

3) Scott Ward, if his girlfriend will give him the go ahead.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 PM

im in
Old 12-12-2006, 10:51 PM

assuming santa is nice and brings the wind, i will bring myself.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM

I'm in. We can race and / or ride. If it is a bit marginal, we can do surf boards and skims. This is a good chance for people to learn how to head off the wind. Learning basic things like down looping, etc., are essential for wave riding and racing. If you use a surf or directional board, this is a good chance to learn how to jibe the boards.

The west across Key Biscayne towards Matheson Hammock

The ride will be about 22 miles with about 16 of them being on port tack. We will go through fairly rough water to start and end in total butter. For those that have not kited at S. Ville, you are in for a treat. Due to the fact that this is informal and will be done with out support, I must caution riders that after they round the end of Cape Florida, they are on their own. If anything goes wrong, there are some shallow spots that you can stand on and of course the houses. At worst case, if your kite goes down in deep water and can not be relaunched, sit in your kite, but keep it totally inflated for visibility. Riders will also need to look out for submerged wrecks, trees, etc., that are all over the flats. It also makes sense to keep your eyes peeled for channel markers. They come up on you fast while going off the wind.

After rounding the Cape (you will see the light house), it is best to continue south for about 1/4 to 1/2 mile if the wind is out of the NE. This will help you to avoid the lee side and wind shadow of Key Biscayne. If it is sunny, you will see boats about 2 miles to the South. This is where we usually kite at S. Ville. I would recommend that if the wind is light, don't head that far down. It may be difficult to get to Matheson afterward.

If the wind is very light at S. Ville, you can assume that the 4 plus mile crossing from S. Ville will be even lighter. If you think that it is light at S. Ville already, you won't make it to Matheson and your best bet would be to beg a ride to the Marina from a boat.

If the wind is good, go for it, but keep your eyes peeled for boat traffic. It isn't heavy, but it only takes one. The best way to find Matheson is to do a line sight between the end of Cape Florida and the 3rd group of buildings heading south along the mainland from down town Miami. I have done the down winder many, many times and even in the dark, but I still get lost. If there are kites out, you will just barely see them. MAKE SURE TO ERROR TO THE RIGHT (NORHT), YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS THE LANDING POINT TO THE SOUTH!

The target zone. CLICK PHOTO FOR LARGER IMAGE

I think that everyone should pair up with a buddy. You can ride together (best option), our ride apart, but if your buddy doesn't show at the finish, we need to go look. In the worst case, I can get my boat and retrace the route, but only until Cape Florida. Before this, riders should be able to get back to the coast. Your last hopping off point will be Cape Florida and I suggest if your kite is getting limp... quit.

There are several other items to consider, but common sense and a buddy will take care of most of the issues that may arise. The ride can easily be done in 10 to 15 from the NE with larger kites and boards.

The destination. CLICK PHOTO FOR LARGER IMAGE

The donation to Shake-a-Leg Miami is only a recommendation, but a good one. I would suggest that a donation of $25 would go a long way toward helping this organization to help others like you and I to enjoy the outdoors and continue to live just a bit on the edge… adrenaline is a great cure for many things.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Kent
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 AM
ruffridah89

is this the KITE-FOR-TOTS thing, but now extended from South beach instead of key biscayne?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
is this the KITE-FOR-TOTS thing, but now extended from South beach instead of key biscayne?
Yes. The forecast backed off a bit to 10 to 15 kts. NE, Saturday and Sunday. So, the window has been opened to both Saturday and Sunday. The word will go out Friday by email for which day. Sorry for the change but Mother Nature as always is in the driving seat when it comes to wind.

More info to come soon.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 AM

im just hoping i have enough wind to make it on my 12m Waroo and my Element 134
Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

More info went up, checkout Kent's post in detail. Matheson is a popular place with long standing access issues as well. Please read over the riding rules and checkout the photos at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=2819

Hope we get 15 to 20 kts., if not, it just becomes more of a lighter wind run with different challenges. Should be an interesting run.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi